• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

My initial thought when I saw the email from Joe and Nadia was $2 million.

But since HA can bid on their own auctions, maybe it gets goosed to $4 million.  :baiting:

Anyone know the dimensions of the painting?  Frazetta tended to work small.  While the painting is great, if I am a potential bidder going to spend big $, my preference would be bigger is better.  Price per square inch.  Lol.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

From the Frazetta Art Museum via Facebook

Word is that The Egyptian Queen is going up for auction at Heritage soon. The buzz is starting in Facebook, so I wanted to clear something up. When Frank and Ellie passed away, the art was split between their four children. Frank Jr bought the museum and his parents' house in order to keep the estate and artwork viewable to the public, which was the dream his parents had. To date, Frank Jr has only sold three oil paintings (very early on), and the funds from those were used to A: buy the museum and estate (not cheap); B: make necessary repairs to the then run-down house, museum, and property; and C: add money to the account of the museum to make sure it could survive if the years were slow, though not much funding were left after A and B. Any piece sold recently HAS NOT been in the museum for ten years, and thanks to fans like yourself we DO NOT sell what we house. As my grandmother, Ellie, used to say, "Art should not be for just the rich."; and we also hold that philosophy. The Egyptian Queen is not our painting, nor was Death Dealer VI or the other oils you may have seen go to auction recently. Please do not send us nasty messages; we understand your frustration, however, it is not us selling those beloved pieces. We'd buy them back if we could afford them, but like a lot of you we're just regular people with regular jobs throughout the week (hence our weird hours). We've been offered money for our works in the past and we've said no each time, regardless of how life changing it would be for us, because these paintings deserve to be seen by the loyal fans who helped make my grandfather one of the most popular artists of our time.

If you'd like to make sure the museum remains open to the public, please consider visiting us or buying something off of our website www.frazettaartmuseum.com which is considered to be a direct donation towards the preservation of the artwork. Anything found on other websites with the Frazetta Jr Enterprises logo (or stated that the item was done with the museum or Frank Jr) also gives us a kickback, but no other Frazetta websites do.

We are just as upset as the rest of you to see these beautiful pieces of art go, and if it were up to us we'd make sure your great great great grandkids could see them one day. The best we can do is assure you that as long as the museum is in no real threat to close down, we will not sell what we house (if it were, we'd again use the funds to keep it open for viewing). Thank you all for your continued support, and please, if you see posts about this, spread the word that it isn't being sold by the museum. Saves me a bit of time going post to post 1f61b.png:p Thank you.

-William Frazetta (grandson of Frank and Ellie)

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:39 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Conan the Destroyer sold for $1.5 million back in 2010.  I would imagine it will be around that number.

Is Egyptian Queen considered Frazetta's best work?  How does the Egyptian Queen compare to Conan and Death Dealer paintings?

1 hour ago, bocaratondefense said:

Is Egyptian Queen considered Frazetta's best work?  How does the Egyptian Queen compare to Conan and Death Dealer paintings?

I would say not the top work. Definitely memorable but not the best. It may not be in my top 10 even. 

I should add I am not a serious owner of this piece or any Frazetta due to lack of funds so my opinion and $5 will get you a latte 

Edited by batman_fan

On 3/19/2019 at 12:16 PM, bocaratondefense said:

A rare WL sighting!! :whatthe: 

Egyptian Queen is routinely cited as being among the top, top, top Frazetta oils.  People may disagree if it's #1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, but, I would imagine that almost all of the Frazetta cognoscenti would have it in their top five and virtually everyone would have it in their top ten.  

Taking a quick glance through my Frazetta books, here's my approximation of a non-controversial top ten (in alphabetical order):

At the Earth's Core

The Barbarian (Conan the Barbarian)

The Berserker (Conan the Conqueror)*** 

Cat Girl

Death Dealer 

Death Dealer II

The Destroyer (Conan the Buccaneer, revised version)

Egyptian Queen

A Fighting Man of Mars 

Thuvia, Maid of Mars

Opinions will vary, of course, but, I would think that Egyptian Queen, Cat Girl, and at least 1 or 2 of the Conans and Death Dealers are going to be on most everyone's shortlist (my own personal shortlist would be overrepresented by Conan covers, but, that's just me). :) 

*** My all-time favorite, for nostalgic reasons primarily.

Edited by delekkerste

23 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

From the Frazetta Art Museum via Facebook

There seems to be a bit of discrepancy between that Facebook post and this part of the Heritage description.

" This masterpiece has resided with the Frazetta family since its creation, so this is the first time it has ever been offered on the market."

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Egyptian Queen is routinely cited as being among the top, top, top Frazetta oils.  People may disagree if it's #1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, but, I would imagine that almost all of the Frazetta cognoscenti would have it in their top five and virtually everyone would have it in their top ten.  

Taking a quick glance through my Frazetta books, here's my approximation of a non-controversial top ten (in alphabetical order):

At the Earth's Core

Cat Girl

Egyptian Queen

Death Dealer 

Death Dealer II

Egyptian Queen

A Fighting Man of Mars 

Thuvia, Maid of Mars

Opinions will vary, of course, but, I would think that Egyptian Queen, Cat Girl, and at least 1 or 2 of the Conans and Death Dealers are going to be on most everyone's shortlist (my own personal shortlist would be overrepresented by Conan covers, but, that's just me). :) 

To Gene's list I would of course add Egyptian Queen and possibly Egyptian Queen. :whistle:

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 12.16.14 PM.png

50 minutes ago, glendgold said:

To Gene's list I would of course add Egyptian Queen and possibly Egyptian Queen. :whistle:

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 12.16.14 PM.png

2036837872_getthepapers.gif.ab672bda2ccfaf678d05749b20c5d9cc.gif

1 hour ago, Timely said:

There seems to be a bit of discrepancy between that Facebook post and this part of the Heritage description.

" This masterpiece has resided with the Frazetta family since its creation, so this is the first time it has ever been offered on the market."

The FB post says that the works were split between the four kids and that Frank Jr has the museum. Then it says that the museum is not selling this piece. I guess we can read between the lines then.

2 minutes ago, Bird said:

The FB post says that the works were split between the four kids and that Frank Jr has the museum. Then it says that the museum is not selling this piece. I guess we can read between the lines then.

Yep.  I'll also add that, while it may be the first time it has ever been offered on the public market, it was available privately since at least early 2016 (that I am aware of). 

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

At the Earth's Core

Cat Girl

Death Dealer 

Death Dealer II

The Destroyer (Conan the Buccaneer, revised version)

Egyptian Queen

A Fighting Man of Mars 

The Snow Giants (Conan of Cimmeria)

Thuvia, Maid of Mars

I'm terrible with top 10 lists, but I feel pretty comfortable opining that Egyptian Queen is somewhere in the top 3 of all Frazetta oils.  Where it falls specifically in that 3 is pretty much subject to your own taste/preferences.  I would say however, that it's certain that if you ever wanted a best of the best Frazetta oil, this auction is for you.