• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I am really liking that Avengers 13 splash :luhv:

How does it being Heck rather than Kirby effect the final hammer?

Y'know, it's weird for me to say this but I'm seeing a lot of Kirby in that Giant Man.  The Kirby Checklist credits Kirby with miscellaneous art fixes in this issue -- it would be to everyone's advantage if someone knew definitively whether this page was among them.

6 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Y'know, it's weird for me to say this but I'm seeing a lot of Kirby in that Giant Man.  The Kirby Checklist credits Kirby with miscellaneous art fixes in this issue -- it would be to everyone's advantage if someone knew definitively whether this page was among them.

It’s actually a hideous piece, people should ignore it :wishluck:

Holy !!! The Swan/Anderson Superman #423, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" cover..... !!!!!!

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Holy !!! The Swan/Anderson Superman #423, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" cover..... !!!!!!

Nice!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous//p/7209-122001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Wow!

I personally like this a lot more than EQ thematically even if a lot later and rougher. Plus the Bakshi tie-in is a plus for me. This was on Facebook and CC being offered for 350k I think. Considering the very small and very abstract prelim went for 10k on HA a few years back that price didn't seem that bad, but what do I know.

Its looking like a nice auction.

edit: to clarify I have seen several pics of the original EQ posted, including some on Facebook and the more I see the more dull the painting looks. I like the brightness of Jaguar God #2

link to the prelim: https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-frazetta-jaguar-god-2-cover-painting-preliminary-artwork-original-art-verotik-1995-/a/7139-92072.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417 I attributed the price to Rodriguez speculation about a live action Fire and Ice. 3 x 4 inches on that one. Cost per square centimeter was very high.

Edited by cstojano

I don’t think much of that JG to be honest.   As you said, real late and real rough.   Looks nice reduced to postage stamp size on the phone, but when you expand the image... ehhh.   Not his best work.

EQ does look dull and I wonder if frank played with the colours when he changed the eyes.   Still, it will do great either way

Edited by Bronty

Don’t get me wrong , I know this is possibly post stroke (?) or left handed, or even just an older artist at this point, just comparing to what came before

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Don’t get me wrong , I know this is possibly post stroke (?) or left handed, or even just an older artist at this point, just comparing to what came before

Yup, like I agree. I like the composition but blown up, same reaction to DD5. There is a reason it sat offered at 350k  unsold. No doubt EQ is superior and will far supersede in price.The condition of EQis irrelevant,but somewhat shocking.  I figured this thing was on the wall since 1970 ;)

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

Yup, like I agree. I like the composition but blown up, same reaction to DD5. There is a reason it sat offered at 350k  unsold. No doubt EQ is superior and will far supersede in price.The condition of EQis irrelevant,but somewhat shocking.  I figured this thing was on the wall since 1970 ;)

Agree although as an oil painting it shouldn’t matter too much how it was hung.  I really think frank played around with it more than heritages description seems to realize .   Either that or the colours were juiced up at the printers 

The Jaguar God piece is really interesting -- it's so much the Lion in Winter, Frazetta in his later phase, it's almost abstract, and the bodies are contorted sorta Jeff Jones style.  I'm not fond of the girl's face, as it's like an inappropriate peek from another era.  I dig it but in part because it's like those really late Herrimans where they get burly and thick and strange.  I don't know that it does the job you'd want a Frazetta oil to do, but it's cool. 

Now THAT is an interesting painting!!   After being used as the cover to Child of the Sun, it was never reprinted in any other Frazetta book that I can think of.   As the description states it was sold to the consignor in the early 1970s.   I was told that this piece popped up at the Windy City Pulp show a few years back with a price tag of 200-250K (can't remember) with no takers.   Going for sale in the Illustration auction and not the Comic Art auction.  Will be fun to watch.

2 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

You really like that? If it didn't have the name Frazetta attached to it, it would pass for some of the 18-19th century overblown historic junk that people used to paint and like.

I have to agree.   There’s not much to get hit about there.   Everyone’s backs are turned too.   It’s not subject matter he’s known for, it’s not real exciting to me.   If that hit 500k I’d be waaaay more impressed than if EQ hit 5m

3 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

35 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

You really like that? If it didn't have the name Frazetta attached to it, it would pass for some of the 18-19th century overblown historic junk that people used to paint and like.

I agree with Rick. While this is interesting to analyze inside the Frazetta oeuvre, it's also exactly the kind of generic genre painting the Frazettas weren't keeping in the 1970s. Just a guess on my part but canvas board support reads: quickie deadline job to me.