• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

When I saw the painting, "Spartacus" came to mind before "Ben-Hur".

giphy-26.gif.e7b41bbc913c090d9fc14846763d5a64.gif

39 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Conan 10 cover just got posted

Wow, that will make 8 or 9 BWS Conan covers* that have changed hands (some more than once) publicly or privately since 2013 that I am aware of.  

In other news, the Byrne/Austin X-Men #137 double-page splash is back on the auction block as well. (worship) 

* Out of the 21 he did on the original run, including the Annual #1. 

38 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

In other news, the Byrne/Austin X-Men #137 double-page splash is back on the auction block as well. (worship)

Now with a slew of sigs. On the art. Does this help or hurt?

11 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I would guess definitely won't hurt it.  Whether someone pays more because of them, no idea on my side.  I wouldn't. pay extra.

52 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Wow, that will make 8 or 9 BWS Conan covers* that have changed hands (some more than once) publicly or privately since 2013 that I am aware of.  

This one looks like it has a lot of paste ups.  Maybe all original art.

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Boomers are retiring, time to exit now while the money's still good, because the BWS comic art market has peaked.  I'd hate to have been sitting on his Astonishing Tales Ka-zar art, or even X-Men #53 thinking I was gonna buy that boat or time-share....

Wasn't the rumor at the time that the X-Men 137 DPS was purchased for a possible Stan Lee Museum?

There are 16, mostly vintage, Byrne pieces on the block. That is the most prime pieces that I can remember being offered in one auction... I wonder if most of these originate from one collection?

9 hours ago, Nexus said:

For sure it doesn't help - no serious buyer for this piece is going to pay more for it because it has these sigs (that are ugly and detract from the art).  Makes you wonder who inflicted this on the art in the first place. :facepalm: 

It won't hurt if no serious buyer isn't able to look past it, though, these sigs are so unsightly that I wouldn't be surprised if they were a dealbreaker for someone. :eek:  

That said, I would still expect this one to do better than 4 years ago given the dearth of supply in prime Byrne X-Men art of late, and what I get the sense is still tremendous pent-up demand. Hard to believe now that this DPS was available privately for a good while before it went to auction in 2015 and no one snapped it up then - it's one of those pieces that may have just seemed too available back in the day, but, that notion/stigma is long gone (I very narrowly missed out on it both privately and when it hit the auction block...it will definitely go down as one of my bigger OA collecting regrets).  That said, I probably won't be in the mix this time around, not because of the sigs, but, because of (presumably) a higher price and different life and collecting priorities vs. 4 years ago.  :( 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Art guys > sig guys :sumo: 

Those are not attractive.  (Errr...the signatures I mean.  Not art guys.  Or sig guys.  Art guys, sig guys, you are all spectacularly handsome.)

Edited by glendgold

13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I am one of those BWS fans who thinks just about ALL the early Conan covers and art has real merit and certain charms, despite some of the drawing oddities.  This one however, is perhaps the most forgettable of them all.