• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Sure, because he would have done it neatly and unobtrusively, in an area where you would expect him to sign a piece. If these sigs on the DPS were done in the margins, it would be a plus. But, it's 4 sigs in the art area, and 3 of the signers never touched the art except to autograph it. 

It's not a condition issue, it's about detracting from the image and cheapening the art by treating it like you would a mass produced collectible. 

well, its not like the signatories had nothing to do with the comic book?  They were all involved (Lee gets a pass ;) ).   Honestly, what's the problem?   I would never have done it either, no, but ironically, the only signature I find distracting is John Byrne's, the primary artist! lol   The others, are... whatever.    Ill advised but small and out of the way.   John's is darker and being right at Storm's feet pulls your eyes down.     If I was a big enough X-men fan that I felt like I needed to own this (and I'm very much not) I wouldn't care that its been signed by four people like some tacky mall plaque (which is the road you seem to be going down).   I'd care, perhaps, that the byrne signature was distracting.    It IS tacky art, however well done.    Embrace it.   That goes for whether you're talking about some ridiculous super-people wearing capes in space doh!  or some ridiculous chick with big hair riding a sea robin / giant tuna cross :gossip:

(also goes for sexy robot women like my avatar lol .   Its all silly when you look at it a certain way, so why get hung up.

Edited by Bronty

12 minutes ago, Bronty said:

well, its not like the signatories had nothing to do with the comic book?  They were all involved (Lee gets a pass ;) ).   Honestly, what's the problem?   I would never have done it either, no, but ironically, the only signature I find distracting is John Byrne's, the primary artist! lol   The others, are... whatever.    Ill advised but small and out of the way.   John's is darker and being right at Storm's feet pulls your eyes down.     If I was a big enough X-men fan that I felt like I needed to own this (and I'm very much not) I wouldn't care that its been signed by four people like some tacky mall plaque (which is the road you seem to be going down).   I'd care, perhaps, that the byrne signature was distracting.    It IS tacky art, however well done.    Embrace it.   That goes for whether you're talking about some ridiculous super-people wearing capes in space doh!  or some ridiculous chick with big hair riding a sea robin / giant tuna cross :gossip:

I personally am not a fan of signatures.  On comics they are a definite pass for me but given there is only one of these that will ever be available, I won't let it effect my max bid which has no chance of winning.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

I personally am not a fan of signatures.  On comics they are a definite pass for me but given there is only one of these that will ever be available, I won't let it effect my max bid which has no chance of winning.

I feel the same.   And maybe it will hurt the price a little, but its not like its suddenly some deformed mockery of what it was before.

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Step1, find giant fish with bizarre wings/fins.     Step 2, swim out to it, and find a way to ride its back underwater.   Step 3, when the fish decides to fly, strike a pose without the violent flying or leaping effecting your balance.    Make sure your hair is already dry.   

Seems plausible lol

Sad thing is I think Boris was very talented but some of the stuff he painted :sick:

9 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Sad thing is I think Boris was very talented but some of the stuff he painted :sick:

I can't decide whether I want to make violent love to her or use that gigantic brillo pad of a haircut to clean my sink with lol

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I can't decide whether I want to make violent love to her or use that gigantic brillo pad of a haircut to clean my sink with lol

I just wanna know why she's entirely dry, including her mega-perm...

Also, why is she on top of that flying fish thing with that obviously fresh perm?I mean, everyone knows you can't get a perm wet...that's what I learned from Legally Blonde anyway.

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

I just wanna know why she's entirely dry, including her mega-perm...

Also, why is she on top of that flying fish thing with that obviously fresh perm?I mean, everyone knows you can't get a perm wet...that's what I learned from Legally Blonde anyway.

Who said she's dry?   Baby oil is a liquid.

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

Who said she's dry?   Baby oil is a liquid.

You've dedicated some serious thought to this. 

No way around her utterly irresponsible perm maintenance though. I expect more from a body-building-hair-skyscraper-wearing-flying-fish-mistress.

Feed a 1980’s, Mostly naked, metal babe a fish, and she’ll eat for a day. Teach her how to ride a giant flying fish without getting wet, and she’ll be employed for a lifetime as an Album Cover model. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I blame Boris, that painting is a club over the head style Hyborian-age advertisement. 

When I reverse google it, it appears to be based on Maori mythology

In Māori mythology, Tinirau is a guardian of fish. He is a son of Tangaroa, the god of the sea. His home at Motutapu (sacred island) is surrounded with pools for breeding fish. He also has several pet whales.

Hinauri, sister to the Māui brothers, had married Irawaru, who was transformed into a dog by Māui-tikitiki. In her grief Hinauri throws herself into the sea. She does not drown but is cast ashore at the home of Tinirau, where she attracts his attention by muddying the pools he uses as mirrors. She marries Tinirau and uses incantations to kill his other two wives, who had attacked her out of jealousy (Biggs 1966:450).

When her child Tūhuruhuru is born, the ritual birth ceremony is performed by Kae, a priest.[1] After this is done, Tinirau lends Kae his pet whale to take him home. In spite of strict instructions to the contrary, Kae forces the whale, Tutu-nui, into shallow water, where it dies, and is roasted and eaten by Kae and his people. When he learns of this Tinirau is furious and sends Hinauri with a party of women (often they are Tinirau's sisters) to capture Kae, who is to be identified by his overlapping front teeth. The sisters perform indecent dances to make him laugh.[2] When he laughs, they see his crooked teeth. Then the women sing a magic song which puts Kae into a deep sleep, and carry him back to Motutapu. When Kae wakes from his sleep he is in Tinirau's house. Tinirau taunts him for his treachery, and kills him (Grey 1970:69, Tregear 1891:110, Biggs 1966:450).

Later Tūhuruhuru is killed by the tribe of Popohorokewa for the death of Kae. In turn, Tinirau calls on Whakatau to destroy the Popohorokewa, which he did by burning them all in the house called Tihi-o-manono (Biggs 1966:450).

In a South Island account, Tinirau, mounted on Tutunui, meets Kae, who is in a canoe. Kae borrows Tutunui, and Tinirau goes on his way to find Hine-te-iwaiwa, travelling on a large nautilus that he borrows from his friend Tautini. When Tinirau smells the south wind he knows that his whale is being roasted (Tregear 1891:110).

Even with that wiki explanation, I'm not sure if the fish is the whale or Tinirau and if the girl is Hinauri... or what.   A bit confusing, but certainly chapter 17 of Fun with Boris :)

I'm guessing a number of the more ridiculous looking paintings may have similar explanations.

2 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Ours is a funny little niche hobby where we get to make our own rules.  Black&White is better than full-color... coffee stains have no impact on value... signatures actually detract from value...

Don't leave out Wolverine claws OUT is worth Double what NO claws is, which is worth double what Wolverine NO costume is worth, unless it's Wolverine totally nude with tubes coming out of him (Weapon X) which is worth as much as in costume (Claws rule still applies), Wolverine in an eyepatch is good for a quarter point bump depending on what other factors are present or absent. 

Hobbies are marked by their idiosyncrasies, preferences, and oddities...the more money involved and the more particular the hobby gets. 

3 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Ours is a funny little niche hobby where we get to make our own rules.  Black&White is better than full-color... coffee stains have no impact on value... signatures actually detract from value...

Signatures don't detract from value, but badly-placed ones that evoke images of mall plaques can. 

Really bad coffee stains can absolutely detract from value. At best, if the piece is good enough, these are things that people can look past. It would only be weird if bad sigs and coffee stains actually *added* value. 

The color vs. black and white issue, on the other hand, is a quirk that is particular to our hobby, though, understandable given that it is the norm. 

5 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Very well said.

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Signatures don't detract from value, but badly-placed ones that evoke images of mall plaques can. 

They almost never add to the value. They only have the potential to detract. (Frazetta being a notable exception)