• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

Or people are just deaccessioning top tier work because some they are aging out and/or looking at a life after? 2020 has a nice round number ring to it.

As the boomers finally walk out the door, we'll see how the next Gen does, what they hold up and what the let fall by the wayside and what keeps the lights on for the hobby.

54 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I am looking at this HA coming up and it seems pretty obvious that something is up. There are a ton of stellar OA pieces coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden. Are big hitters and dealers basically putting up collateral to make a play for the Frazetta? Or is there a cascading effect where the collateral itself is so desirable, that its bringing other stuff out.

If anyone is putting up these other pieces to play for the Frazetta, they are wasting their time - it's like throwing rocks at a tank when you'll need bazooka-sized sales to finance this purchase. I think it's going to go - by hook or by crook - a lot higher than people here seem to think. In fact, upon further reflection, I'm revising my previous prediction of a 4-handle ($4 million plus) or higher result to a 5-handle or higher result. A $5 million-plus Frazetta sale is just too good a publicity/marketing/market-moving data point to pass up and I predict HA will make it happen. I don't consider that to be either optimistic or cynical - just realistic. 

As for the abundance of other nice art in the sale...I'd say it's more likely a combination of high prices, gradual aging out, plus the Murphy Anderson estate consignments. Maybe a little tax-related selling too, as I know a lot of people have been caught off-guard by this first year of tax changes.

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If anyone is putting up these other pieces to play for the Frazetta, they are wasting their time - it's like throwing rocks at a tank when you'll need bazooka-sized sales to finance this purchase. I think it's going to go - by hook or by crook - a lot higher than people here seem to think. In fact, upon further reflection, I'm revising my previous prediction of a 4-handle ($4 million plus) or higher result to a 5-handle or higher result. A $5 million-plus Frazetta sale is just too good a publicity/marketing/market-moving data point to pass up and I predict HA will make it happen. I don't consider that to be either optimistic or cynical - just realistic. 

As for the abundance of other nice art in the sale...I'd say it's more likely a combination of high prices, gradual aging out, plus the Murphy Anderson estate consignments. Maybe a little tax-related selling too, as I know a lot of people have been caught off-guard by this first year of tax changes.

The Frazetta may also be driving eyeballs to this auction, so some folks may be unloading stuff now to get the most bang for their timing buck

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah.   I've been thinking the same re 5+, but its such a lot of dough that estimating anything about those sales seems futile.

Edited by Bronty

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yeah.   I've been thinking the same re 5+, but its such a lot of dough that estimating anything about those sales seems futile.

Trust me, it will happen. If EQ "only" sells for 3 or 4 million, it will negatively impact the ability to get the prices the consignors and Heritage want on other Frazettas. They can't afford to have marquee, statement pieces like EQ or Death Dealer sell for that low, not anymore. 

Just for the avoidance of doubt, when I say I think it will go 5 mil-plus, I mean all-in (including BP). 

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, my wife used to derisively refer to my former Boris & other comic/fantasy related paintings as "Saddam Hussein art". :eek: 

Your wife clearly has good taste.  Kind of makes us wonder why she ... :baiting:

8 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Or people are just deaccessioning top tier work because some they are aging out and/or looking at a life after? 2020 has a nice round number ring to it.

As the boomers finally walk out the door, we'll see how the next Gen does, what they hold up and what the let fall by the wayside and what keeps the lights on for the hobby.

The Great Crash... It's (finally) here!

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Yeah, my wife used to derisively refer to my former Boris & other comic/fantasy related paintings as "Saddam Hussein art". :eek: 

I never thought that until now, but now that I've heard it whenever I look at Boris art I will imagine it on a wall behind a zebra print couch, where Uday and Qusay are snorting coke off hookers' breasts.

Edited by bluechip

Just noticed that FIFTEEN PAGES, including the title Splash page, from Hulk #180 are in this auction. :x

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/herb-trimpe-and-jack-abel-incredible-hulk-180-lot-of-15-pages-original-art-marv/p/7209-106001.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by PhilipB2k17

For me there are 12 pieces of artwork I seriously would like to own.  Now comes the fun part, building the spreadsheet, searching for comps to create estimates of final hammers prices and then look at my budget to put together the fine list to chase.

Edited by batman_fan

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

For me there are 12 pieces of artwork I seriously would like to own.  Now comes the fun part, building the spreadsheet, searching for comps to create estimates of final hammers prices and then look at my budget to put together the fine list to chase.

You forgot the stage where you figure out the fair value multiplier for those comps you have worked so hard to gather from closed sales ;) 

17 minutes ago, cstojano said:

You forgot the stage where you figure out the fair value multiplier for those comps you have worked so hard to gather from closed sales ;) 

I am actually more concerned what to list them for when I resale lol

Auction is in Chicago, so I'm tempted to attend the live bidding for the first time.  Does anyone know if you win an item with a floor bid (say a $2,000 item), can you pay for it right there and take it home with you?