• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Beginning to think $5m may be a low estimate... this is the kind of piece George Lucas with his billions would lust after.

YAY participation awards!

I think you're right. I think it's going to be 5-10 mm. And not because it crosses over into "fine art" interests.. because I don't really think it does.. But because good, old-fashioned, mega-wealthy, Nerds want it. Lucas, as you've said, plus I'm sure a number of other similarly well of fan boys who just really geek over Frazetta, and want to let loose that salvo.

26 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I’m going to take the under on 5 million :whatthe:

Is that with or without shipping included?

Just now, glendgold said:

I love that the sales tax on this thing could buy you any other piece of comic artwork.

The sales tax on this thing could pay off college tuition for both of my kids, 

The buyer's premium will take care of the mortgage too...

Edited by comix4fun

12 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Just cost and BP

54 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Me too. The entire market for this material seems manipulated, which I think Gene has been referring to for several pages. I recall the last two major paintings only sold with some coaxing from the room, and then just barely. I also don't get how this was being shopped privately and yet a new major buyer is supposed to appear to bid this up. I would think all serious buyers would have been approached already, but what do I know. Lucas was also supposed to buy Master Race and that went to a complete unknown as I recall. Maybe the same is the case here, which sort of negates my first point doesn't it ;) Maybe I am biased because this isn't a top piece for me. For me DD1 should set the records.

Edited by cstojano

4 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Me too. The entire market for this material seems manipulated, which I think Gene has been referring to for several pages. I recall the last two major paintings only sold with some coaxing from the room, and then just barely. I also don't get how this was being shopped privately and yet a new major buyer is supposed to appear to bid this up. I would think all serious buyers would have been approached already, but what do I know. Lucas was also supposed to buy Master Race and that went to a complete unknown as I recall. Maybe the same is the case here, which sort of negates my first point doesn't it ;) Maybe I am biased because this isn't a top piece for me. For me DD1 should set the records.

I was in the room for one of those two and there were, at least 6 live bids between phone bidders and the room once it hit the block. 

There was no "barely" on that one, it nearly doubled its pre-live bidding level. I think the one before it crept up to the line and got one bid to hit the finish though. 

Edited by comix4fun

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

I was in the room for one of those two and there were, at least 6 live bids between phone bidders and the room once it hit the block. 

There was no "barely" on that one, it nearly doubled its pre-live bidding level. I think the one before it crept up to the line and got one bid to hit the finish though. 

Right, the DD did well, ATEC was the creaper. Yes ATEC is a much better piece. Subject matter I suppose. 

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Just cost and BP

In a sale with no reserve (stated or otherwise), no guarantees, no stalking horses, no bidding by the house or its employees, etc. you might be right about that.  

But, we might as well be talking about an alternate universe. Don't be a fool, of course EQ is going to sell for more than $5 million all-in. #byhookorbycrook :makepoint: 

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

In a sale with no reserve (stated or otherwise), no guarantees, no stalking horses, no bidding by the house or its employees, etc. you might be right about that.  

But, we might as well be talking about an alternate universe. Don't be a fool, of course EQ is going to sell for more than $5 million all-in. #byhookorbycrook :makepoint: 

Dude, do you not remember the "Greg's OA guess scale factor"?  What ever I guess, multiply by 2 for the actual final hammer.

50 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Oops my mistake, I read the article wrong. He is correct.

Only 21 items have sold for more at Heritage than the current $2.5M bid. Most are money and coins or plots of land. If it doubles the bids to $5 Million it will be the most expensive item ever sold on Heritage.

Edited by Brian Peck