• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

The author of the article really needs to do better research. "over $700,000, the most valuable comics lot sold at Heritage." is incorrect. The highest price paid in past HA comic book/art category is another Frazetta, Death Dealer 6 Painting (1990) for $1.792 Million. Only 21 items have sold for more at Heritage than the current $2.5M bid. Most are money and coins or plots of land. If it doubles the bids to $5 Million it will be the most expensive item ever sold on Heritage.

He stated "comics lot," no?  And wrote "by over 700k."

Edited by exitmusicblue

13 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Beginning to think $5m may be a low estimate... this is the kind of piece George Lucas with his billions would lust after.

If he wins that would be cool since he would eventually put it in his museum most likely. And it wouldn't go to a black hole collector or warehouse somewhere. I wanted a piece of Star Wars comic art and George wanted it too. Which was cool since it showed that he actually still likes that stuff or wants it for the museum to show complete stories.

2 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Some interesting opinions over there. Utterly out of touch with reality, but, interesting nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Some interesting opinions over there. Utterly out of touch with reality, but, interesting nonetheless. 

I am a huge fan of Barks, he's on the Mount Rushmore of comics for me, but to call him an excellent painter is where I draw the line. :slapfight:   (great with ink, superlative writer, but painter..? no)

Edited by Bronty

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

My 12 year old self loves this painting, and there is something exciting (and nausea-provoking) about how much money it's going to go for. But if you're going to fantasize about Frazetta being fine art, then you have to also brace yourself for the art world crying "Orientalism," among other things, as a critique.  I'm not Edward Said or anything but I see how it's pretty problematic. 

20 minutes ago, glendgold said:

My 12 year old self loves this painting, and there is something exciting (and nausea-provoking) about how much money it's going to go for. But if you're going to fantasize about Frazetta being fine art, then you have to also brace yourself for the art world crying "Orientalism," among other things, as a critique.  I'm not Edward Said or anything but I see how it's pretty problematic. 

Comparing the Frazetta to the ugly modern "art". This went for $85,812,500 (Kasimir Malevich, Suprematist Composition, 1916) at Christie's 2018. That isn't even art, its design. Then  the Egyptian Queen will be a bargain at any price.

That is nauseating!

d7hftxdivxxvm.cloudfront.net.jpeg

Edited by Brian Peck

It’s what we would consider a form of “design” today, based on standards he helped pioneer via fine art decades before, and didn’t really take hold in a recognizable popular form until the 50s. And he didn’t just paint, he wrote papers on the topic of using basic static geometric form and color to illicit feelings and movement.

At the time he was making the work it was a new visual language. And eventually saw him banned and his work confiscated by Stalin and friends for its non-imagery non-realist propaganda individualistic nature. 

Yup, I can totally see the parallels to the Egyptian Queen piece. Remember that time Fraz had his work confiscated from the Fritz Museum?   Errrr....

Edited by ESeffinga

34 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Ah come on.

Totally apples and oranges.

And can you IMAGINE someone doing that in 1916.    That's a lifetime ago and whatever you think of it, painting that in 1916 took some balls, conviction, and belief in your own path.

But is isn't a painting. Just squares on a canvas. Don't see it taking balls. People do all kinds of stuff that isn't any good for centuries.

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

And eventually saw him banned and his work confiscated by Stalin and friends for its non-imagery non-realist propaganda individualistic nature. 

He got persecuted for parallelograms? 

Now THAT is a dictatorship with convictions.....they even had geometry locked down. 

18 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

He got persecuted for parallelograms? 

Now THAT is a dictatorship with convictions.....they even had geometry locked down. 

Wait till you hear about his views on music.  Dude couldn't let a note alone.