• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

And eventually saw him banned and his work confiscated by Stalin and friends for its non-imagery non-realist propaganda individualistic nature. 

You're trying to make me like Stalin. 

Not.Going.To.Happen.

On 4/26/2019 at 2:03 AM, Brian Peck said:

Oops my mistake, I read the article wrong. He is correct.

Only 21 items have sold for more at Heritage than the current $2.5M bid. Most are money and coins or plots of land. If it doubles the bids to $5 Million it will be the most expensive item ever sold on Heritage.

:headbang: I didn't actually have to research the answer. I've been following (and reporting on)  prices for comics and comics art for maybe 15 years, so it wasn't like I was running a search to figure it out.

And really, if I had to run a search it's dead easy to limit Heritage's results to a category. You don't have to actually search. You just click on Auction Hall of Fame which excludes some lots by Rockwell, which predate them pulling work like that into a separate category and you get their tops lots (almost all of which I've probably written up individually) 

16 hours ago, Bronty said:

Ah come on.

Totally apples and oranges.

And can you IMAGINE someone doing that in 1916.    That's a lifetime ago and whatever you think of it, painting that in 1916 took some balls, conviction, and belief in your own path.

I think it was an outgrowth of the cubist school, like Piet Mondrian who similarly moved beyond it, and yes, it has historical significance. This is something Mondrian did in 1917 (before he became famous for his grid like work):

Composition with Color Planes (1917)

Oh I'm sure it was and that's why I think Demoiselles might be the most expensive painting outside of the Mona Lisa were it auctioned today as the last 110 years of art pretty much all leads back to that moment.

But, I'm no expert in either the history or the values.

12 hours ago, adamstrange said:

You're trying to make me like Stalin. 

Not.Going.To.Happen.

I don't think you could rock a mustache of that magnitude......

Honestly....it's an upper lip squirrel..

stache.jpg.20f5a1cc3c65a3cba1aa9cd338ff39b5.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Oh I'm sure it was and that's why I think Demoiselles might be the most expensive painting outside of the Mona Lisa were it auctioned today as the last 110 years of art pretty much all leads back to that moment.

But, I'm no expert in either the history or the values.

I wasn't suggesting I think it is worth that kind of money, regardless if the artist had balls or not. There are a lot of people with sick amounts of money to spend, and I suspect that if true modern masterworks (which are in favor these days) were auctioned, the amount would be huge. Can you imagine the auction price of Picasso's Guernica on the market?

16 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I wasn't suggesting I think it is worth that kind of money, regardless if the artist had balls or not. There are a lot of people with sick amounts of money to spend, and I suspect that if true modern masterworks (which are in favor these days) were auctioned, the amount would be huge. Can you imagine the auction price of Picasso's Guernica on the market?

I think maybe we have our wires crossed.   When I said "I'm sure it was" I was agreeing with your comment about outgrowth from cubism.

Why is why I mentioned Demoiselles, which I think would be worth more than Guernica, don't you?   Easier to hang, for one thing.   (I get that these people have large houses but still, Guernica is over twenty feet long).

Edited by Bronty

29 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Why is why I mentioned Demoiselles, which I think would be worth more than Guernica, don't you?   Easier to hang, for one thing.   (I get that these people have large houses but still, Guernica is over twenty feet long).

I think Guernica would go for more, and anyone who could afford Guernica would have no problem finding a wall space big enough to accommodate it.

7 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I think Guernica would go for more, and anyone who could afford Guernica would have no problem finding a wall space big enough to accommodate it.

I guess.   I don't really get it though.     Guernica never really appealed to me so I'm probably biased against it.  

Either way, I'm sure they'd both go for ridiculous money if available.    500m would be low I think.    A billion and perhaps more.    

Edited by Bronty

31 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I guess.   I don't really get it though.     Guernica never really appealed to me so I'm probably biased against it.  

Either way, I'm sure they'd both go for ridiculous money if available.    500m would be low I think.    A billion and perhaps more.    

About Guernica, ever hear "Spanish Bombs" by the Clash? Brutal war for the pre-WW 2 period.

Edited by Rick2you2

25 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

About Guernica, ever hear "Spanish Bombs" by the Clash? Brutal war for the pre-WW 2 period.

No, I haven't.   I'm sure that's true, and you can see the despair in the painting and that, but I dunno.  Not my taste really.   I guess I find cubism an odd style through which to express war and suffering.   

Since we're going for musical analogies I find it a little bit like playing death metal on tubular bells.   It just works better with guitars.

Edited by Bronty

I believe the prior record was 2 million or 1.5 after the first painting hit 1 mil...both were Conan paintings and in my opinion superior to the EQ.  I still rank this painting #3 or #4. It would be interesting to look at those sale prices and factor in the inflation rate to see how close they would get to 2.5 2019 dollars. I think this will break 3 Million...3.4 is my new prediction including BP and sales tax.

Edited by Mmehdy

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

No, I haven't.   I'm sure that's true, and you can see the despair in the painting and that, but I dunno.  Not my taste really.   I guess I find cubism an odd style through which to express war and suffering.   

Since we're going for musical analogies I find it a little bit like playing death metal on tubular bells.   It just works better with guitars.

The Clash were amazing - not sure they were the only band that matters but damn they were great!

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Minor segue here. Ever hear the song “Return of the Phantom Stranger” by Rob Zombie? Not quite up there with “Sunshine Superman” by Donovan, but one of the spookiest songs I think I have heard.

1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

That is one pretty piece of art right there.. Woo..

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, Mmehdy said:

I believe the prior record was 2 million or 1.5 after the first painting hit 1 mil...both were Conan paintings and in my opinion superior to the EQ.  I still rank this painting #3 or #4. It would be interesting to look at those sale prices and factor in the inflation rate to see how close they would get to 2.5 2019 dollars. I think this will break 3 Million...3.4 is my new prediction including BP and sales tax.

I agree, and yeah those sales were a long time ago now.   1.5 was a huge number at the time.    The market has moved a lot.