• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, cstojano said:

Which is crazy because there is no way that is only 4 dollars shipping...If I am not mistaken that painting sold recently at CL

If you fold it down and squeeze it into a padded envelope you could probably swing it.

Edited by comix4fun

On 5/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, Bill C said:

In all seriousness, I have to question selling the Spectre book as chapters. I would have thought maybe maximum potential could have been realized splitting them up. I know I am out of the running due to the volume in each lot, but if the pages were individually listed I would have gone very hard for one or two of them. There are so many good examples in that book that I think many people could have walked away satisfied with great examples and more $ could have been realized.

That said, I'm sure they had their reasons. They put up at least 4 full Anderson stories, and if they sold every page separately then it would have been likely too much action. They could have spread it out thinner over more auctions than they intend to, but then I'd probably person_without_enough_empathy about that lol

This is one of those rare cases where I hope a dealer does win it, so they can split it up.

I like the action in the third chapter the best, but obviously the first SA page in the first chapter plus the throw-back panels to More Fun! will goose that up. Going to be fun to watch!

On 5/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, Bill C said:

In all seriousness, I have to question selling the Spectre book as chapters. I would have thought maybe maximum potential could have been realized splitting them up.....

That said, I'm sure they had their reasons.

I don't know, maybe they felt some responsibility to posterity to try to keep the stories together, not scatter them to the wind for a relatively small additional profit.  

As a reference point, the pages in the Cockrum X-Men Artifact Edition are gathered from 60-70 collectors.  No complete stories were possible.  

4.5 million dollar reserve on Egyptian Queen.  Watching!    Some text to follow.  David

Please note, this lot can only be inspected by special arrangement. It will not be brought to the Chicago preview or auction, and it will be shipped to the winning bidder from Heritage's Dallas headquarters, or can be picked up from that location.

More Information:

Edit May 9, 2019: A note was added regarding inspection and delivery of the item.

Edited by aokartman

On 4/27/2019 at 2:24 PM, mtlevy1 said:

The Clash were amazing - not sure they were the only band that matters but damn they were great!

They are “the only band that matters”. It’s a real shame their dysfunction ripped them apart. Jones and Strummer were musical geniuses. 

On 4/10/2019 at 1:01 PM, delekkerste said:

If anyone is putting up these other pieces to play for the Frazetta, they are wasting their time - it's like throwing rocks at a tank when you'll need bazooka-sized sales to finance this purchase. I think it's going to go - by hook or by crook - a lot higher than people here seem to think. In fact, upon further reflection, I'm revising my previous prediction of a 4-handle ($4 million plus) or higher result to a 5-handle or higher result. A $5 million-plus Frazetta sale is just too good a publicity/marketing/market-moving data point to pass up and I predict HA will make it happen. I don't consider that to be either optimistic or cynical - just realistic. 

On 4/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, delekkerste said:

In a sale with no reserve (stated or otherwise), no guarantees, no stalking horses, no bidding by the house or its employees, etc. you might be right about that.  

But, we might as well be talking about an alternate universe. Don't be a fool, of course EQ is going to sell for more than $5 million all-in. #byhookorbycrook :makepoint: 

If anyone is dumb enough to think the $4.5 million ($5.4 million with the juice) reserve on Egyptian Queen isn't going to get tripped, I've got a block of Fyre Festival VIP tickets to sell them.

Gambling.png.7821c3660a6abd770c7e7916668a0e97.png

30 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If anyone is dumb enough to think the $4.5 million ($5.4 million with the juice) reserve on Egyptian Queen isn't going to get tripped, I've got a block of Fyre Festival VIP tickets to sell them.

Gambling.png.7821c3660a6abd770c7e7916668a0e97.png

I figure they've got a guarantee of that amount.  The plot thickens if it goes higher.

1 minute ago, glendgold said:

I figure they've got a guarantee of that amount.  The plot thickens if it goes higher.

Given the consistent pattern we've seen of high reserves all getting tripped the day before the live auction, I would wager that many/most/all of these high-end Frazetta lots have carried some form of guarantee. I don't know if it's all Jim/Heritage, and/or if a third party/parties are getting in on the action, but, it is by far the most logical explanation for this fact pattern. As a mutual friend of ours queried a while back, "who on earth that really wanted to buy one of these would tip their hand early by tripping a reserve that everyone thought was high?" EXACTLY. And, then, when it keeps happening, there is no other plausible explanation that all of these lots carry a guarantee, and tripping the reserves before the live auction tells other bidders that the piece is definitely going to sell, with a real money buyer establishing a floor (so banish any thoughts of it going RNM and you getting it cheaper).