• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I like it quite a bit but $250k is way outside my means.  The reserve doesn’t seem crazy to me but I really have no idea how Frazetta paintings are priced.

Trust me, the reserve ($300K w/the juice, plus applicable sales tax) is :screwy: for that piece. The consignor is clearly hoping to ride the coattails of EQ and the other recent strong sales of Frazetta oils.

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Trust me, the reserve ($300K w/the juice, plus applicable sales tax) is :screwy: for that piece. The consignor is clearly hoping to ride the coattails of EQ and the other recent strong sales of Frazetta oils.

Where are you planning to hang the EQ piece :baiting:

55 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I like it quite a bit but $250k is way outside my means.  The reserve doesn’t seem crazy to me but I really have no idea how Frazetta paintings are priced.

It's not cheap by any means. But, relative to Frazetta fantasy paintings, it is pretty damn nice. It's just not one of his more well known creations. That's why I think that it may wind up being a bargain. 

24 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Well, sure. It's "crazy" for the status quo, but maybe not 5 years from now.  It's pretty sweet.frazettagirls-art-print-fine-art-print-stretched-on-wooden-bar-18x24-jaguar-god-ii-print-28209136006.jpg?v=1532578771

Edited by PhilipB2k17

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Now, I am thinking it will hit $7.5-$8 million. I originally thought it would be over $5,000,000.

Scary what this will do to his market.

25MILLION!!!! and Jim walks it to winner's house from Dallas...even if you live in Hong Kong. No biggie, we already know Jim walks on water.

52 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

To put it in perspective.. for that 300k, one could have bought almost any other piece of comic OA ever sold (including frazetta interior pages) .    I couldn’t see paying 1/3 of that even if I was in the market for one .   But, I am bearish on his late career material

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

To put it in perspective.. for that 300k, one could have bought almost any other piece of comic OA ever sold (including frazetta interior pages) .    I couldn’t see paying 1/3 of that even if I was in the market for one .   But, I am bearish on his late career material

$300k wouldn’t have gotten you the “Spider-Man nuts the Hulk” cover :insane:

13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Given the consistent pattern we've seen of high reserves all getting tripped the day before the live auction, I would wager that many/most/all of these high-end Frazetta lots have carried some form of guarantee. I don't know if it's all Jim/Heritage, and/or if a third party/parties are getting in on the action, but, it is by far the most logical explanation for this fact pattern. As a mutual friend of ours queried a while back, "who on earth that really wanted to buy one of these would tip their hand early by tripping a reserve that everyone thought was high?" EXACTLY. And, then, when it keeps happening, there is no other plausible explanation that all of these lots carry a guarantee, and tripping the reserves before the live auction tells other bidders that the piece is definitely going to sell, with a real money buyer establishing a floor (so banish any thoughts of it going RNM and you getting it cheaper). 

If Jim was to buy it he would save BP at least...possibly sales tax and shipping?

Edited by Mmehdy

27 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

If Jim was to buy it he would save BP at least...possibly sales tax and shipping?

It's never been clear if Jim has executive privilege exempting him from BP. If yes, is that blanket for all HA employees? Wow quite the fringe benefit, no?

Sales tax? No unless he's buying as a dealer with exemption. It's always been presented that Jim's collection is personal, but maybe it's legally business inventory?

3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, sure. It's "crazy" for the status quo, but maybe not 5 years from now.  It's pretty sweet.

Fritz gave the art world so many wonderful things. IMO that piece is very far from one of them.

I’m not saying the painting is a total POS, I’m just saying in the pantheon of late era Frazetta art, that’s definitely a piece that doesn’t get picked for dodgeball.

:)

4 hours ago, glendgold said:

Something I hadn't noticed till now: 38 lots of Kirby art, which strikes me as more than I've seen in a single auction for a while.  I can't say that any specific page leaps out at me, and most of them are repeats --  but I recognize a few pages from long-term collections, so the results will be interesting. 

Yeh, seems like a lot. Also noticed some of the Comic Connect "inventory" Kirby is actually up for auction finally. Does somebody know something we don't?

Also, I like Jaguar God.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

Heritage says he pays full freight in terms of BP (as per Todd Hignite's Felix Comic Art podcast interview).  That said, when you own a big chunk of the company, full freight isn't really full freight given that a portion effectively gets rebated as part of your bottom line (and private market stock valuation). But, granted, it ain't zero, as a lot of people seem to believe.

I am confident that he doesn't pay sales tax as a dealer. 

11 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Imagine how much more it would be worth with Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Halle Berry signatures on it..

:flipbait:

And don't forget James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Peter Dinklage and Sophie Turner!

What a great quest for anyone who wins the piece--get the signature of every cast member of every X-Men movie ever! :wishluck:

12 hours ago, delekkerste said:
12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

The reserve with BP is $156,000, the $130 is just the hammer....so below last sale, but by just a bid or so, not $37k

I know, but, surely the market for this kind of piece is up from 2015, which makes this kind of reserve below last sale (and which would lock in a loss for the seller) seems kind of unnecessary...

The owner is a prominent player in the OA market and knows the dynamics of the market very well, no?  

So perhaps by setting a reserve he is indicating that the powers that be in the OA market are feeling less than confident about the strength of the market.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Murphy Anderson's Hawkman #4 Zatanna First Appearance Complete 13-Page Story is also up for auction. 

Screenshot_20190325-013028.png

Beautiful artwork. (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/murphy-anderson-hawkman-4-zatanna-first-appearance-complete-13-page-story-the-girl-who-split-in-two-original-a/a/7209-91004.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

The owner is a prominent player in the OA market and knows the dynamics of the market very well, no? 

If he was a prominent player in the OA market, he wouldn't have defaced the art area with unnecessary signatures. 

He may be a prominent something, but, prominent player in the OA market ain't it. :whistle:

Maybe he's worried that the piece has been tainted by his ownership and poor stewardship of it. 

Edited by delekkerste

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If he was a prominent player in the OA market, he wouldn't have defaced the art area with unnecessary signatures. 

He may be a prominent something, but, prominent player in the OA market ain't it. :whistle:

Maybe he's worried that the piece has been tainted by his ownership and poor stewardship of it. 

Wonder if this was purchased with Stan’s money....

Wouldn’t Stan’s estate have a right to claim the art?