• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

If he was a prominent player in the OA market, he wouldn't have defaced the art area with unnecessary signatures. 

He may be a prominent something, but, prominent player in the OA market ain't it. :whistle:

Really?  Who spends $150k on a piece without being a serious collector?

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Did you even click on the link?? 

I was thinking of having t-shirts made with this on it...so I could save time at conventions when I meet up with boardies.  

4 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I was thinking of having t-shirts made with this on it...so I could save time at conventions when I meet up with boardies.  

:takeit:

12 hours ago, delekkerste said:
12 hours ago, tth2 said:

Really?  Who spends $150k on a piece without being a serious collector?

Did you even click on the link?? 

I did, but I'd seen the story before.  There's no reference to the X-Men OA in there at all.

Just a few more days to go before the live bidding begins and thus far I’ve been unsuccessful in narrowing down my interests to less than 20 lots.

not to sound morbid or anything, but I’ve started to shift my focus back to comics, and specifically to books where I can get a lot of sigs from creators who are still with us.  There are still a few artists who occasionally appear at shows or make themselves available for private signings who have worked in comics since the 50’s who may not be with us much longer 🙁

19 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just a few more days to go before the live bidding begins and thus far I’ve been unsuccessful in narrowing down my interests to less than 20 lots.

not to sound morbid or anything, but I’ve started to shift my focus back to comics, and specifically to books where I can get a lot of sigs from creators who are still with us.  There are still a few artists who occasionally appear at shows or make themselves available for private signings who have worked in comics since the 50’s who may not be with us much longer 🙁

Well, their art will live past them.   Better than a signature..   but if signed comics are your thing, rock on

Edited by Bronty

On 5/11/2019 at 6:54 AM, delekkerste said:

If he was a prominent player in the OA market, he wouldn't have defaced the art area with unnecessary signatures. 

He may be a prominent something, but, prominent player in the OA market ain't it. :whistle:

Maybe he's worried that the piece has been tainted by his ownership and poor stewardship of it. 

Wow, I wanted to defend this, somehow.  But when I went on HA to look at it, jesus this is just awful.  Just have them sign the back if you real want their sigs on it, or sign UNDER the lettering box in the lower left corner.  

20809255%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

To be clear, it's still a great piece. It's just really, really unfortunate that some Philistine decided to treat this like a mere collectible by plastering unnecessary signatures on it instead of treating it like a proper piece of artwork. 2c 

IF someone were to be a buyer for this, and IF the signatures could be safely removed by a competent professional, would you do it?

13 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

IF someone were to be a buyer for this, and IF the signatures could be safely removed by a competent professional, would you do it?

If Wanda Maximoff could whisper "No more sigs" and remove them instantly, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

But, if the reality is that the whole piece would need to be submersed in a chemical bath for days/weeks as part of the process...I'd want to discuss with the restorer whether he felt the condition of the rest of the piece merited a full conservation treatment at this time or not. And, if not, I'd be inclined to just leave it be. I think the sigs are unsightly, but, their presence is not a dealbreaker. 2c 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

...like a proper piece of artwork. 2c 

C O L L E C T I B L E.

That's what we're doing here all day long, talking about collectibles. Quibbling over which Spidey artist is the bestest is not an "art" discussion.

In that light, totally appropriate. Especially since we even got Stan's on there...before he died. Thank God for that foresight!!!

4 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Wow, I wanted to defend this, somehow.  But when I went on HA to look at it, jesus this is just awful.  Just have them sign the back if you real want their sigs on it, or sign UNDER the lettering box in the lower left corner.  

20809255%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

Could be worse...like the guys who take a 9.4 - 9.8 book and have the artist sign all over the main characters...

3 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Could be worse...like the guys who take a 9.4 - 9.8 book and have the artist sign all over the main characters...

No.  Disagree.  There are other copies of the book out there.  I don't care if they deface one copy when others exist.  This is the art.  That's it.  This is where it came from.  You defaced it.  It's like someone scribbling on the sistine chapel .