• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

No.  Disagree.  There are other copies of the book out there.  I don't care if they deface one copy when others exist.  This is the art.  That's it.  This is where it came from.  You defaced it.  It's like someone scribbling on the sistine chapel .

PREACH IT, BROTHER! :preach: 

22 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

No.  Disagree.  There are other copies of the book out there.  I don't care if they deface one copy when others exist.  This is the art.  That's it.  This is where it came from.  You defaced it.  It's like someone scribbling on the sistine chapel .

My point was that the piece has already been defaced.  It would have been worse if the signees had signed over characters as opposed to where they did sign.

5 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

My point was that the piece has already been defaced.  It would have been worse if the signees had signed over characters as opposed to where they did sign.

Again no.  One defacement is not worse than another.  If you write over Mona Lisa's face, it's not worse or better than if you write over her chest.

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

Again no.  One defacement is not worse than another.  If you write over Mona Lisa's face, it's not worse or better than if you write over her chest.

Yes it is! 10 out of 10 would choose Stan Lee's sig on the bottom right corner of the Mona Lisa vs. directly on her face, so YES!!! Placement DOES matter!!! (thumbsu

Edited by Timely

Well sure it could be worse -- they could have signed on top of the characters.  But I agree with what appears to be the majority sentiment -- the art was better left alone.

And sorry Mike H., it's not just a " C O L L E C T I B L E"   even if the consignor may or may not have treated it as such.

3 hours ago, Timely said:

Yes it is! 10 out of 10 would choose Stan Lee's sig on the bottom right corner of the Mona Lisa vs. directly on her face, so YES!!! Placement DOES matter!!! (thumbsu

Of course it does!!  How many artists sign in the middle of their work or over the face of the main character?  Answer - 0

Edited by pemart1966

4 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

WTF????  (shrug)

2 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Of course it does!!  How many artists sign on the middle of their work or over the face of the main character?  Answer - 0

I think you would be surprised to see exactly what Stan Lee would  sign over.... including other people's signatures!

7 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Of course it does!!  How many artists sign in the middle of their work or over the face of the main character?  Answer - 0

ironfist.thumb.jpg.0b42dcefd753bffe9c29f

13 minutes ago, Timely said:

I think you would be surprised to see exactly what Stan Lee would  sign over.... including other people's signatures!

I've seen some of the stuff that Stan signed so, no, I'm not surprised.  He'd sign stuff that he had absolutely no connection to whatsoever.  I became numb to it after a while.  I suppose though at $100 a crack or whatever he was getting at the end, I'd sign my name to pretty much anything too.  

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

I've seen some of the stuff that Stan signed so, no, I'm not surprised.  He'd sign stuff that he had absolutely no connection to whatsoever.  I became numb to it after a while.  I suppose though at $100 a crack or whatever he was getting at the end, I'd sign my name to pretty much anything too.  

At one convention about two years ago, Neal Adams said he would sign a shoe for $20. Clearly, underpriced.

1 hour ago, Ironmandrd said:

Well sure it could be worse -- they could have signed on top of the characters.  But I agree with what appears to be the majority sentiment -- the art was better left alone.

And sorry Mike H., it's not just a " C O L L E C T I B L E"   even if the consignor may or may not have treated it as such.

Clearly my sarc was lost on E V E R Y O N E lol

15 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

IF someone were to be a buyer for this, and IF the signatures could be safely removed by a competent professional, would you do it?

No

12 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

It's like someone scribbling on the sistine chapel .

Which is a problem if the scribbler was Giuseppe the guy who brought lunch to Michelangelo every day.

But if it was Michelangelo, or an assistant to Michelangelo who was actually involved in creating the artwork, I don't have a problem with it.  Unless it was right over God's finger or Adam's face or something.

11 hours ago, Timely said:
12 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

lol (thumbsu