• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

I heard through the grapevine that Lucas probably wouldn't pay up for something like this. Just one opinion, but, if I was a gambling man, I would bet against the buyer being the Lucas Museum.  I'm sure that Lucas' reps were contacted beforehand, probably Mark Parker (Nike CEO), Robert Rodriguez and every other logical buyer as well.  

I'm guessing it ended up with either Jim/Heritage or a third party guarantor (if HA laid off the risk). One friend thinks the painting is headed back to Holly Frazetta, but, that's just wild conjecture at this point. I'm still thinking the lot was guaranteed and is heading to the guarantor. 2c  

2 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

It's at least twice as nice. (thumbsu

I'll settle for 10x as nice. :grin:

But, seriously, there's no comparison. 

Edited by delekkerste

5 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Assuming they would even take it... Does anyone think Sotheby's or Christie's would've yielded a stronger result on EQ?

Let me clarify my question... by putting it not into a Comic Art auction a la the 90s, but rather the Evening Mods sale?

16 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Assuming they would even take it... Does anyone think Sotheby's or Christie's would've yielded a stronger result on EQ?

I bet the two houses would have taken it and placed it somewhere. Not in a Contemporary Art sale, but, maybe stuck in a rare books sale or American art sale or memorabilia sale or something like that. 

I'm sure they wouldn't have guaranteed it, though, and nor would they have beaten the price it just got. 

1 hour ago, BCarter27 said:

EQ... $3.2M was the number I had in my head and I thought we'd all be wowing over that. But that was before this guarantee stuff was visible.

I couldn't beat 5.4 mil... but at least I've got my raggedy ol' copies of Eerie and Creepy. lol 

Edited by exitmusicblue

1 hour ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Interesting that Egyptian queen only just hit reserve ... 

With no other bidders (or any interest whatsoever based on "her" face) what it really was: a fixed price sale done very publicly.

40 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I heard through the grapevine that Lucas probably wouldn't pay up for something like this. Just one opinion, but, if I was a gambling man, I would bet against the buyer being the Lucas Museum.  I'm sure that Lucas' reps were contacted beforehand, probably Mark Parker (Nike CEO), Robert Rodriguez and every other logical buyer as well.  

I'm guessing it ended up with either Jim/Heritage or a third party guarantor (if HA laid off the risk). One friend thinks the painting is headed back to Holly Frazetta, but, that's just wild conjecture at this point. I'm still thinking the lot was guaranteed and is heading to the guarantor. 2c  

Halpin did NOT purchase the EQ for sure.

52 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Opus cover for $26K. Ouch. That's so low, I almost bid on it. (:

That's a hard fail.

45 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

No. Their clientele have no interest above $severalhundyk (as a speculation move only)

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Why is Robert Rodriguez’s name being thrown in the mix of potential buyers?

3 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Why is Robert Rodriguez’s name being thrown in the mix of potential buyers?

Is a Big frazetta collector even had his own museum but I think it’s no longer in existence

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Something tells me GDT winds up with the Queen.

What would an IT company like General DataTech do with The Egyptian Queen?

1 hour ago, vodou said:

With no other bidders (or any interest whatsoever based on "her" face) what it really was: a fixed price sale done very publicly.

I'll preface this by saying I know nothing of the art world. Why would they do this? Why pay so much to Heritage if they didn't have to?

6 minutes ago, wombat said:

I'll preface this by saying I know nothing of the art world. Why would they do this? Why pay so much to Heritage if they didn't have to?

Marketing 101: perception is reality.

7 minutes ago, wombat said:

Why pay so much to Heritage if they didn't have to?

If it went to a guarantor, that separate and specific contract would supersede the generic catalog contract...surely BP was negotiated down (and likely out) as a term..