• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

Hey Miller fans, I haven't bought any DD pages in a while, but is that DD 182 page for almost 41k about right?  Action page, but he isn't fighting anyone of note.  Man, I remember passing on that page for a several thousand and I haven't been keeping up on Miller DD.  

16 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Nobody mentioned the Golden Avengers Annual 10 page.  Really nice page from an amazing issue but that 45.6k number is a big one.

Thats above what I figured. But they dont sell often.

Edited by zhamlau

16 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Nobody mentioned the Golden Avengers Annual 10 page.  Really nice page from an amazing issue but that 45.6k number is a big one.

Sitting in the room while it was being auctioned I had mentioned that the "rational" number for this page was $25k, but having the actual first panel of the first appearance of Rogue was the kind of thing that could make folks act in a less than rational way. It's the kind of thing that not only sparks a bidding fight, but it's the kind of thing that bidders can REALLY talk themselves into going to the mat for. Not just unique original art, not just from a very memorable issue that's long been sought after, not only a page of the first appearance of a character that has endured to the present, but the actual first panel in which they ever appeared. 

This was the perfect storm of self-rationalization points that all OA addicts use to convince themselves to open the wallet a little wider...just a little wider...ok, just a little more but no more...etc etc.

The same bit of exuberance worked its way into the Hawkman #4 bidding as well no doubt.

My guess of "less than rational" was low to mid $30k's, but there's obviously no limit when at least two people convince themselves it's a "must have".

Edited by comix4fun

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Sitting in the room while it was being auctioned I had mentioned that the "rational" number for this page was $25k, but having the actual first panel of the first appearance of Rogue was the kind of thing that could make folks act in a less than rational way. It's the kind of thing that not only sparks a bidding fight, but it's the kind of thing that bidders can REALLY talk themselves into going to the mat for. Not just unique original art, not just from a very memorable issue that's long been sought after, not only a page of the first appearance of a character that has endured to the present, but the actual first panel in which they ever appeared. 

This was the perfect storm of self-rationalization points that all OA addicts use to convince themselves to open the wallet a little wider...just a little wider...ok, just a little more but no more...etc etc.

The same bit of exuberance worked its way into the Hawkman #4 bidding as well no doubt.

My guess of "less than rational" was low to mid $30k's, but there's obviously no limit when at least two people convince themselves it's a "must have".

Silly me.  Love the art but completely forgot about it being the Rogue first appearance page.  Makes more sense.

29 minutes ago, suspense39 said:

"As billionaires compete for art in an overheated market, the merely affluent are giving up."

I kind of feel like this is happening on a smaller scale in our hobby. At this point in my collecting career, I feel like I've been priced out of most of my all-time favorite pieces if they were to ever become available, while the prices on the material that is still potentially within reach are now so high that I have to keep my powder dry for these and not blow cash on anything that isn't truly in the top 1 or 2 % of my want list. 

As such, my true "must-have" want list, of things that are both likely to be attainable and available at some point, is down to probably less than 5 medium-to-high end items, plus a few low-to-medium end items.  I'm just glad I acquired what I did when I did, because if I was starting out from scratch today, I'd probably just be looking to build a collection of maybe 10-20 great pieces; there's no way I could build out anywhere near the collection I have starting from 2019 prices. Would wager that almost no one collecting for more than 15 years would be able to at this point. 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

11 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

"As billionaires compete for art in an overheated market, the merely affluent are giving up."

I kind of feel like this is happening on a smaller scale in our hobby. At this point in my collecting career, I feel like I've been priced out of most of my all-time favorite pieces if they were to ever become available, while the prices on the material that is still potentially within reach are now so high that I have to keep my powder dry for these and not blow cash on anything that isn't truly in the top 1 or 2 % of my want list. 

As such, my true "must-have" want list, of things that are both likely to be attainable and available at some point, is down to probably less than 5 medium-to-high end items, plus a few low-to-medium end items.  I'm just glad I acquired what I did when I did, because if I was starting out from scratch today, I'd probably just be looking to build a collection of maybe 10-20 great pieces; there's no way I could build out anywhere near the collection I have starting from 2019 prices. Would wager that almost no one collecting for more than 15 years would be able to at this point. 2c 

I hear you Gene! 

31 minutes ago, Bill C said:

The Hawkman #4 Zatanna story at 126K seems insane. That's an average of $9,692 per page. It's got a lot going for it though. I think the other story from this issue is up for sale, it'll be interesting to see what the Zatanna bump was.

That Hawkman #4 splash is big big money all by itself. It feels like the purchaser got it at break up value, but there are some stellar pages in that story. 

The stuff I was watching on this 1st day closed above where I thought they would.  

Avengers #13 splash.  I hoped it being Heck would keep the price down coupled with the lack of a lot of action but nope, closed real strong at $40,800

Peanuts Sunday from 12-30-62.  I was a contender but closed quite a bit above my threshold at $66,000

I didn't have a lot of hope I would come away with either piece, but the stuff I am more interested closes tomorrow and Saturday.

2 hours ago, Bill C said:

The Hawkman #4 Zatanna story at 126K seems insane. That's an average of $9,692 per page. It's got a lot going for it though. I think the other story from this issue is up for sale, it'll be interesting to see what the Zatanna bump was.

Early Zatanna reminds me of early Black Widow - not the :x characters we would later come to love. 

I'd rather have the 1st appearance of hot Zatanna. lol  

Edited by delekkerste

6 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Hammer $204,000

WOW!!! over $200K even with the signatures people hate.

Men #137 Double Splash Pages 2-3 Original

If only someone here had pointed out that no one (whose opinion actually matters) cares about the signatures. :whistle:

8 hours ago, wombat said:

I'm not picky. I would settle for Jaguar God. 

Clearly no one else would.

Consignor was clearly wishing and hoping on that one.

9 minutes ago, tth2 said:

If only someone here had pointed out that no one (whose opinion actually matters) cares about the signatures. :whistle:

Who's to say that it wouldn't have gone for more without them? :whistle: 

$204K is actually less than where a lot of people thought it would end up, myself included. 

Edited by delekkerste

12 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Who's to say that it wouldn't have gone for more without them? :whistle: 

$204K is actually less than where a lot of people thought it would end up, myself included. 

If you would have just bid more it would have.