• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Bronty said:

The narratives of lobby groups are not (always) reflective of the truth.  The truth will win out in time.   In our hearts we all know what’s BS and what isn’t.   And saying a woman (or a man for that matter) with a ‘come hither’ look is offensive is BS.   Sometimes people have sex and sometimes they use that look.   So what.   That's no indication of victim and oppressed.

It's about so much more than that. 

17 minutes ago, Bronty said:

That's no indication of victim and oppressed.

Try to consider 'male gaze' with an open mind. (google if you don't already know the phrase) That's the real issue (for the youngsters and their professors). Same way we all smh at those Golden Age covers in the other thread with bucktoothed Japanese on them.

Just now, delekkerste said:

It's about so much more than that. 

I understand the other issues as they'd be viewed.   I reject those views too, but given that anything one says about any of these topics is going to get picked apart, its not worth the time.

2 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Auctioneer (not Barry) certainly knows more about Starbucks than she does comic art. 

Barry is my favorite auctioneer on HA's staff.  Upbeat, knowledgeable

6 minutes ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

sweet freaking page!

That auction got late early and fast.  Can’t remember another page of Krenkel alone attributed published comic book (magazine) art ever selling before. Page has it all. 

8 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

That auction got late early and fast.  Can’t remember another page of Krenkel alone attributed published comic book (magazine) art ever selling before. Page has it all.  

Alas, it wasn't meant to be... for me I mean... I hope whoever got it loves crud the out of it!

really, it won't let me use that word, it's not even a bad one. talk about puritan...

Edited by The Cimmerians Purse
complaining about deleted expletives

On 5/16/2019 at 1:35 PM, delekkerste said:

$204,000 for the X-Men #137 DPS.  Briefly considered making a run at it the past couple of days, but, just couldn't justify it.  Awesome piece though, even with the ugly sigs. 

I wonder if we'd have had the "ugly sigs" discussion if it had been a vintage signed Ditko or Frazetta piece...hm

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

$18K for Bloom County Sunday "Bill the Cat" First Appearance

Really shocked it met reserve, that 5-6x what a Bloom County strip goes for. Not alot of the originals out there, though Berke Breathed did recently sell a bunch.

But seems cheap given other pieces especially for an iconic character like Bill

3 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

But seems cheap given other pieces especially for an iconic character like Bill

Bloom County strips don't go for alot compared to Peanuts. It is the first appearance but very few would remember the content. Not like first appearance of Wolverine, people know that. This Sunday isn't that famous.

Just now, Brian Peck said:

Bloom County strips don't go for alot compared to Peanuts. It is the first appearance but very few would remember the content. Not like first appearance of Wolverine, people know that. This Sunday isn't that famous.

Agreed. How many people even know Bill the Cat in 2019 vs. 1989? I think this piece is super cool, but, it is for a certain generation for sure. 

I just wish the lettering hadn't been done in marker. 

15 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I wonder if we'd have had the "ugly sigs" discussion if it had been a vintage signed Ditko or Frazetta piece...

There's definitely some break given for vintage sigs or even vintage Steve Oliff-coloring. Not that anyone likes the coloring, but, most people understand that this stuff was not held in either the esteem or $$$ value that it is today.

Getting ugly sigs or coloring today, though, is a big (tsk)