• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

If she wanted to do something special, wouldn’t she have bought the Boris painting on CLINK :insane:

She's saving that for Festivus...

Underbidder in the ASM 43 page but it had gone out of my comfort zone. Did win a smaller item that I’m very happy about!

Not a bad flip on the peanuts strip! This is what it’s sold for in March.

CB6155F6-1209-4E26-8479-27BFCE70959E.jpeg

Edited by AnkurJ

18 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Underbidder in the ASM 43 page but it had gone out of my comfort zone. Did win a smaller item that I’m very happy about!

Not a bad flip on the peanuts strip! This is what it’s sold for in March.

CB6155F6-1209-4E26-8479-27BFCE70959E.jpeg

I was really surprised how high it went.  Maybe because it is a later one and not too many seem to show up.

8 hours ago, vodou said:
9 hours ago, Nexus said:

However this happened, it's now a legit comp. Or as legit as these things go.

Agree but until confirmation BP was paid it's 4.5m not 5.4m

I think it's the other way around. 

Until you can confirm that BP was not paid, then we should all be able to assume that it's $5.4m.

The burden of proof is usually on the conspiracy theorist, not the way other way around.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Very true.  Content is king.  Sadly I did not land another Peanuts strip.  I really liked that Snoopy tied up one.

So did other people, apparently.  Interestingly, that one's price broke out early compared to the other 2 50s Peanuts dailies, but ended up being only the 2nd most expensive.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:
2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Now now...don't ruin your father's day surprise...Anna's really trying to do something special here. 

If she wanted to do something special, wouldn’t she have bought the Boris painting on CLINK :insane:

:roflmao:

I would pay for a picture of Gene's face when he unwraps the painting.

Just now, tth2 said:

:roflmao:

I would pay for a picture of Gene's face when he unwraps the painting.

Even with the most spartan and stoic of poker faces & resolve on Gene's part, I am wagering it comes across something like this:

7uhIbzG.gif.a838768deb6dec05ca424e8d58e707b0.gif

So I had my sights set on the Buck Rogers daily from 1929 and figured I would have a free run at it, because who collects an old dead strip that has zero relevance to the modern era and is by  Caulkins, right?

So I put in one online bid after another, and none was able to outbid the high online bid.  When my bid inclusive of BP topped $5000, I gave up.  I really wanted the piece, but not that bad.:frustrated:

25 minutes ago, tth2 said:

So I had my sights set on the Buck Rogers daily from 1929 and figured I would have a free run at it, because who collects an old dead strip that has zero relevance to the modern era and is by  Caulkins, right?

So I put in one online bid after another, and none was able to outbid the high online bid.  When my bid inclusive of BP topped $5000, I gave up.  I really wanted the piece, but not that bad.:frustrated:

I was very surprised about the Buck Rogers strip. I have seen a number of early Caulkins Buck Rogers but most go for under $2K. He did work on the series until the late 40s and his art did improve but was never a great strip artist. Buck Rogers itself never did become that popular. Flash Gordon who was created by Alex Raymond to compete with Buck Rogers and has become much more popular. Only Murphy Anderson's work from '47-'49 and '58-'59 is the only artwork that people are really interested in. Buck Roger these days doesn't compare with Flash Gordon, no one is interested in it.

39 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That sucks.  Maybe it is just me, but prices seemed pretty strong to me in this auction.

42 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That one caught my eye.  Something about it seemed like a strong representative example.

38 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Talk about frustration...I was high bid on a piece at $6500 (with a $10k max) with “Fair warning” (reiterated 3 times!) raising anticipation for a sweet win.  At the last second, a cut bid, then another, and few more bids later the piece is at $12k (and I’m out).  I’m like :frustrated:

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I love those, Calkins has a great style, nice heavy lines......they’ll be others.