• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, suspense39 said:

I love those, Calkins has a great style, nice heavy lines......they’ll be others.

Back in 2010 I found this auction for strip #9 where Buck Rogers was given his first rocket gun and was mesmerized by it.  Despite the estimate, the strip didn't sell and I emailed the auction house afterwards and it was available for offer and I believe the initial reserve was around 5K.  I ultimately decided against it but have thought about/regretted it ever since.  I do wonder where it wound up...

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/auctions/upcoming-auctions/susanins-auction-to-launch-buck-rogers-into-21st-century-aug-28/

Lot 2044

44/7000-159
CALKINS, BUCK ROGERS DAILY COMIC STRIP ORIGINAL ART (JOHN F. DILLE CO., 1929).
Comprised of strip #9 from the "Meeting the Mongols" series. The top left corner of the first panel is numbered 10, but the strip is actually #9. The first two panels depict Buck Rogers being administered an electro-hyptonic test, being given his first rocket gun, and being welcomed into the Alleghany organization. The third panel is the original concept, which details the audio death machine, and the revelation that Buck had not seen Wilma in many days. The last panel depicts Buck being told that Wilma is missing. The last panel is signed in the LM "LT. Calkins, Air Corps"
Image area: 6.5" x 25.1"
$18,000/$22,000

Condition: No Specific Condition Recorded - Sold As Is

Unsold

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "dem1138@yahoo.com" <dem1138@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010, 10:09:52 AM PDT
Subject: Buck Rogers unsold lot

Good afternoon, 

Thank you for contacting Susanin's Auctions regarding the unsold Buck Rogers lot. I would suggest that you make an offer on the lot with me, and I will present it to the consignor of the collection to see if they would be interested in selling the piece.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Many thanks, 

Patrick Kearney
900 S. Clinton Street
Chicago, IL 60607
P: 312-832-9800
F: 312-832-9311
www.twitter.com/SUSANINSauction

Edited by dem1138

7 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

Back in 2010 I found this auction for strip #9 where Buck Rogers was given his first rocket gun and was mesmerized by it.  Despite the estimate, the strip didn't sell and I emailed the auction house afterwards and it was available for offer and I believe the initial reserve was around 5K.  I ultimately decided against it but have thought about/regretted it ever since.  I do wonder where it wound up...

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/auctions/upcoming-auctions/susanins-auction-to-launch-buck-rogers-into-21st-century-aug-28/

Lot 2044

44/7000-159
Comprised of strip #9 from the "Meeting the Mongols" series. The top left corner of the first panel is numbered 10, but the strip is actually #9. The first two panels depict Buck Rogers being administered an electro-hyptonic test, being given his first rocket gun, and being welcomed into the Alleghany organization. The third panel is the original concept, which details the audio death machine, and the revelation that Buck had not seen Wilma in many days. The last panel depicts Buck being told that Wilma is missing. The last panel is signed in the LM "LT. Calkins, Air Corps"
$18,000/$22,000

Condition: No Specific Condition Recorded - Sold As Is

Unsold

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "dem1138@yahoo.com" <dem1138@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010, 10:09:52 AM PDT
Subject: Buck Rogers unsold lot

Good afternoon, 

Thank you for contacting Susanin's Auctions regarding the unsold Buck Rogers lot. I would suggest that you make an offer on the lot with me, and I will present it to the consignor of the collection to see if they would be interested in selling the piece.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Many thanks, 

Patrick Kearney
900 S. Clinton Street
Chicago, IL 60607
www.twitter.com/SUSANINSauction

Wow, that’s a great early one! Too bad you didn’t land it. Prices on those have really been up and down over the years; I was happy to see the solid result at heritage.

10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I likely will never get my Romita Sr Spider-Man page.  I really liked that page from 132 but someone else liked it a LOT more

contact me privately Mr. Peanuts! :).

Edited by romitaman

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

So did other people, apparently.  Interestingly, that one's price broke out early compared to the other 2 50s Peanuts dailies, but ended up being only the 2nd most expensive.

Never knew bondage was big plus for Peanuts collectors...

8 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Underbidder in the ASM 43 page but it had gone out of my comfort zone. Did win a smaller item that I’m very happy about!

Not a bad flip on the peanuts strip! This is what it’s sold for in March.

CB6155F6-1209-4E26-8479-27BFCE70959E.jpeg

So YOU bid me up on that 43 page ay????   LOL

Never in my wildest dreams would I have ever expected "ANY" asm 63 (romita layout page)  or ASM 132 post run Romita ASM page (regardless of content) equal or surpass ANY twice up Romita asm page at auction.....but it happened here! Pretty cool.........

14 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I have to disagree with your disagree. There is about 45 Dailys and 6 Sundays in CAF galleries plus two dozen for sale by dealers (all Donnelleys). But he drew the series for almost 10 years even taking of some time and having reprints he did around 500 Sundays and 3000 dailies. I know some are in black holes but Breathed still has to have more. I have been looking for a good Cutter John but see very few out there.

A lot of Bloom County is out there - I picked up my 2 examples (neither on CAF as got pre-scanner but my daily posted here) from a fairly large catalog that came out in late 1980s I think, Guy Glenn perhaps but I am not sure anymore - maybe someone has a copy handy and can count the strips, Lee??

Breathed Bloom County Daily.JPG

Foliage not as good as BWS but you can't be everything to everyone

Edited by mtlevy1
expanded

6 hours ago, suspense39 said:

I love those, Calkins has a great style, nice heavy lines......they’ll be others.

Have you heard the story about Caulkins quitting the Buck Rogers strip? 

Supposedly the someone at National Newspaper Service syndicate told Caulkins he was a terrible artist no where as good as Alex Raymond, Hal Foster or Burne Hogarth. So quit the strip, went home and burned all the strips he had done for Buck Rogers. Never could confirm that story but does explain why most of his art isn't out there. The syndicate had some of his early stuff but considering how many years he drew it, wonder where the rest of the artwork is.

3 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

A lot of Bloom County is out there - I picked up my 2 examples (neither on CAF as got pre-scanner but my daily posted here) from a fairly large catalog that came out in late 1980s I think, Guy Glenn perhaps but I am not sure anymore - maybe someone has a copy handy and can count the strips, Lee??

Breathed Bloom County Daily.JPG

Sweet! Don't see many single panels. Any of the other shave Cutter John? I want a good Trek spoof.

3 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Mark, I think that is one of the few old catalogs I don't have.  But if anyone happens to be going to the East Coast Comic Con today, please stop by my booth (#745) because I brought a lot of great old catalogs to be browsed.  Best, Lee

11 hours ago, suspense39 said:

It was not only a really good one but a very early one.  I'm really irritated about losing this one and am kicking myself today for not pushing harder.

10 hours ago, dem1138 said:

$18,000/$22,000

That's a really sweet piece, although the estimate of $18,000/$22,000 in 2010 for a daily seems pretty optimistic.  Today, it's probably pretty realistic. 

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

I think it's the other way around. 

Until you can confirm that BP was not paid, then we should all be able to assume that it's $5.4m.

The burden of proof is usually on the conspiracy theorist, not the way other way around.

Ya got me. Confirmation was too strong a word. I don't need to see anybody's audited tax returns, bank slips or wire receipts ;)

Forgive me in 2019 for not accepting at face value every headline that's clearly aligned with self-interest and promotion.

Corroboration by the other party re: BP/guarantee structure would be fine.

$900k is a big swing in the world of comps. If the phone bid was a pre-arranged guarantee bid that included BP being paid in full (5.4m), well yes, I would like to see somebody other than HA own up to that exceptional foolishness.

They’ve published it as 5.4 and they are generally a tightly run ship.    While I get your POV I think it has to be 5.4 unless there is any evidence to think otherwise; that’s the announced number, and the one we all saw on our screens .    Anything else is conjecture and speculation and needs to be backed up with something 

Edited by Bronty

29 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Anything else is conjecture and speculation and needs to be backed up with something 

Correct, conjecture and speculation. Wildly so. Disagree with the word "needs" unless you're personally stating that what you'd want to be convinced. Others can choose their own level... ;)

Meanwhile...

Western Museums Have a Surplus of Art by White Men. Now Some Are Selling It Off to Correct Their Historical Biases