Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

9,367 posts
On 4/7/2019 at 1:35 PM, Bronty said:

When I reverse google it, it appears to be based on Maori mythology

In Māori mythology, Tinirau is a guardian of fish. He is a son of Tangaroa, the god of the sea. His home at Motutapu (sacred island) is surrounded with pools for breeding fish. He also has several pet whales.

Hinauri, sister to the Māui brothers, had married Irawaru, who was transformed into a dog by Māui-tikitiki. In her grief Hinauri throws herself into the sea. She does not drown but is cast ashore at the home of Tinirau, where she attracts his attention by muddying the pools he uses as mirrors. She marries Tinirau and uses incantations to kill his other two wives, who had attacked her out of jealousy (Biggs 1966:450).

When her child Tūhuruhuru is born, the ritual birth ceremony is performed by Kae, a priest.[1] After this is done, Tinirau lends Kae his pet whale to take him home. In spite of strict instructions to the contrary, Kae forces the whale, Tutu-nui, into shallow water, where it dies, and is roasted and eaten by Kae and his people. When he learns of this Tinirau is furious and sends Hinauri with a party of women (often they are Tinirau's sisters) to capture Kae, who is to be identified by his overlapping front teeth. The sisters perform indecent dances to make him laugh.[2] When he laughs, they see his crooked teeth. Then the women sing a magic song which puts Kae into a deep sleep, and carry him back to Motutapu. When Kae wakes from his sleep he is in Tinirau's house. Tinirau taunts him for his treachery, and kills him (Grey 1970:69, Tregear 1891:110, Biggs 1966:450).

Later Tūhuruhuru is killed by the tribe of Popohorokewa for the death of Kae. In turn, Tinirau calls on Whakatau to destroy the Popohorokewa, which he did by burning them all in the house called Tihi-o-manono (Biggs 1966:450).

In a South Island account, Tinirau, mounted on Tutunui, meets Kae, who is in a canoe. Kae borrows Tutunui, and Tinirau goes on his way to find Hine-te-iwaiwa, travelling on a large nautilus that he borrows from his friend Tautini. When Tinirau smells the south wind he knows that his whale is being roasted (Tregear 1891:110).

But what about the perm?

24,932 posts
18 minutes ago, buttock said:

But what about the perm?

I'm using it to scour my pots :ohnoez:

9,367 posts
1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I'm using it to scour my pots :ohnoez:

Is Aqua Net water resistant? hm

24,932 posts
1 minute ago, buttock said:

Is Aqua Net water resistant? hm

Well, if there is one thing that painting taught us, its that her perm cannot get wet.   Therefore, yes, yes it is.

54,619 posts
5 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:
5 hours ago, Bronty said:

This thread needs more Boris.

I vote for more Rowena. xD

I vote for more spikes through my eyes.

43,086 posts
4 hours ago, buttock said:

But what about the perm?

Yeah!!! What About the PERM!??!!

43,086 posts
1 minute ago, tth2 said:

Isn't that the name of her last gallery show? 

12,822 posts
Posted (edited)

Fantastic Four 70 cover is listed :whatthe:

16744F80-0E59-44A3-ABB3-7374C8F33803.jpeg

Edited by batman_fan

24,932 posts

sweet.   Didn't that cover (or maybe it was a klaw cover?) already sell somewhere.  clink maybe?

24,932 posts
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, tth2 said:

I don't know her body of work, but that's really not a bad painting if you forgive the subject matter.   :sumo:   A quick google search shows me there are some rough ones though :eek:

272FA307-55D6-4AC8-9FCC-A9130AA3FCB8.jpe

Edited by Bronty

12,822 posts
4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

sweet.   Didn't that cover (or maybe it was a klaw cover?) already sell somewhere.  clink maybe?

I’m not sure. I am waiting for them to post the image to make sure there are no signatures. 

548 posts
On 4/7/2019 at 12:50 AM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

this is Burkey's fault....him and his ubiquitous blue sharpie....

:jokealert:

hey...at least my blue sharpie is on the OUTSIDE of the mylars...LOL    (good one though) :)

549 posts
7 hours ago, Bronty said:

The page 1 title splash to the Klaw issue (FF 56?) sold on CLink and I believe the page 1 title splash to FF 70 also sold on CLInk

5,246 posts

This is gonna be one fun action to watch. Such a variety of killer pieces.

I have to wonder about the logic behind selling some of the Anderson art in chapters. Would have loved to have tried for a Showcase 60 page. I assume I'll get that chance later on a dealer's site, heh.

1,501 posts
56 minutes ago, Bill C said:

This is gonna be one fun action to watch. Such a variety of killer pieces.

Agreed. There is a lot of quality in the meaty middle of this one. I'd love to see the list of consignors to see if all of this is coming from a variety of people (encouraged by the high prices lately) or just from a handful who've decided now is the time to finally cash out and exit the hobby.

2,044 posts
11 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

The page 1 title splash to the Klaw issue (FF 56?) sold on CLink and I believe the page 1 title splash to FF 70 also sold on CLInk

I'm going to date myself with this post but I believe All Star Auctions sold the cover to FF 56 nearly 20 years ago in one of their sales (ahh, the good ol' days)

1,839 posts
19 hours ago, Bronty said:

I don't know her body of work, but that's really not a bad painting if you forgive the subject matter.   :sumo:   A quick google search shows me there are some rough ones though :eek:

272FA307-55D6-4AC8-9FCC-A9130AA3FCB8.jpe

I believe this one was owned by Saddam Hussein.  No. Not kidding. 😂

24,932 posts

I thought it was said that saddam only had prints and not originals?   Dunno.  I do remember hearing he was a fan :eek:

1,501 posts
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I thought it was said that saddam only had prints and not originals?   Dunno.  I do remember hearing he was a fan :eek:

Iirc, they were larger recreations and I think it was his son.

And for the record, I'm a Rowena fan! She's done some terrific work-

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=900&q=rowena+morril&btnG=Search+by+image&oq=&gs_l=

Edited by BCarter27