Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

141 posts
3 hours ago, Bronty said:

No, I haven't.   I'm sure that's true, and you can see the despair in the painting and that, but I dunno.  Not my taste really.   I guess I find cubism an odd style through which to express war and suffering.   

Since we're going for musical analogies I find it a little bit like playing death metal on tubular bells.   It just works better with guitars.

The Clash were amazing - not sure they were the only band that matters but damn they were great!

1,144 posts
3 hours ago, Bronty said:

No, I haven't.   I'm sure that's true, and you can see the despair in the painting and that, but I dunno.  Not my taste really.   I guess I find cubism an odd style through which to express war and suffering.   

Since we're going for musical analogies I find it a little bit like playing death metal on tubular bells.   It just works better with guitars.

Minor segue here. Ever hear the song “Return of the Phantom Stranger” by Rob Zombie? Not quite up there with “Sunshine Superman” by Donovan, but one of the spookiest songs I think I have heard.

2,700 posts
42,684 posts
1 hour ago, ThothAmon said:

That is one pretty piece of art right there.. Woo..

24,464 posts
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, Mmehdy said:

I believe the prior record was 2 million or 1.5 after the first painting hit 1 mil...both were Conan paintings and in my opinion superior to the EQ.  I still rank this painting #3 or #4. It would be interesting to look at those sale prices and factor in the inflation rate to see how close they would get to 2.5 2019 dollars. I think this will break 3 Million...3.4 is my new prediction including BP and sales tax.

I agree, and yeah those sales were a long time ago now.   1.5 was a huge number at the time.    The market has moved a lot.

503 posts
11 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Shipped by USPS first class :insane:

Which is crazy because there is no way that is only 4 dollars shipping...If I am not mistaken that painting sold recently at CL

42,684 posts
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, cstojano said:

Which is crazy because there is no way that is only 4 dollars shipping...If I am not mistaken that painting sold recently at CL

If you fold it down and squeeze it into a padded envelope you could probably swing it.

Edited by comix4fun

5,192 posts

In all seriousness, I have to question selling the Spectre book as chapters. I would have thought maybe maximum potential could have been realized splitting them up. I know I am out of the running due to the volume in each lot, but if the pages were individually listed I would have gone very hard for one or two of them. There are so many good examples in that book that I think many people could have walked away satisfied with great examples and more $ could have been realized.

That said, I'm sure they had their reasons. They put up at least 4 full Anderson stories, and if they sold every page separately then it would have been likely too much action. They could have spread it out thinner over more auctions than they intend to, but then I'd probably person_without_enough_empathy about that lol

This is one of those rare cases where I hope a dealer does win it, so they can split it up.

581 posts
On 5/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, Bill C said:

In all seriousness, I have to question selling the Spectre book as chapters. I would have thought maybe maximum potential could have been realized splitting them up. I know I am out of the running due to the volume in each lot, but if the pages were individually listed I would have gone very hard for one or two of them. There are so many good examples in that book that I think many people could have walked away satisfied with great examples and more $ could have been realized.

That said, I'm sure they had their reasons. They put up at least 4 full Anderson stories, and if they sold every page separately then it would have been likely too much action. They could have spread it out thinner over more auctions than they intend to, but then I'd probably person_without_enough_empathy about that lol

This is one of those rare cases where I hope a dealer does win it, so they can split it up.

I like the action in the third chapter the best, but obviously the first SA page in the first chapter plus the throw-back panels to More Fun! will goose that up. Going to be fun to watch!

142 posts
On 5/1/2019 at 8:49 PM, Bill C said:

In all seriousness, I have to question selling the Spectre book as chapters. I would have thought maybe maximum potential could have been realized splitting them up.....

That said, I'm sure they had their reasons.

I don't know, maybe they felt some responsibility to posterity to try to keep the stories together, not scatter them to the wind for a relatively small additional profit.  

As a reference point, the pages in the Cockrum X-Men Artifact Edition are gathered from 60-70 collectors.  No complete stories were possible.  

5,192 posts
10 minutes ago, Taylor G said:

I don't know, maybe they felt some responsibility to posterity to try to keep the stories together, not scatter them to the wind for a relatively small additional profit.  

As a reference point, the pages in the Cockrum X-Men Artifact Edition are gathered from 60-70 collectors.  No complete stories were possible.  

Personally I would guess profit is the main (only?) consideration.

Only time will tell how much the chapters go for. I wouldn't be surprised if a grand or so profit could have been added to many pages if split up. If that's the case, I wouldn't say that's relatively small. But we'll have to see in a couple weeks.

812 posts

Reserves just kicked in.  One of them in particular is verrrrry interesting.

650 posts
Posted (edited)

4.5 million dollar reserve on Egyptian Queen.  Watching!    Some text to follow.  David

Please note, this lot can only be inspected by special arrangement. It will not be brought to the Chicago preview or auction, and it will be shipped to the winning bidder from Heritage's Dallas headquarters, or can be picked up from that location.

More Information:

Edit May 9, 2019: A note was added regarding inspection and delivery of the item.

Edited by aokartman

7,050 posts

130k reserve on the Byrne DPS

7,050 posts
1 minute ago, aokartman said:

4.5 million dollar reserve on Egyptian Queen.  Watching!  Not bidding.  Disable bidding.  David

5.4 mill with the BP. Then add tax.