Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

7,285 posts
37 minutes ago, Bronty said:

its a little unsettling lol

agreed.  why bother.

Fear. Heritage is usually very resistant to reserves.

43,206 posts
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I'm surprised there's even a reserve, especially at a level below where the piece sold for in 2015. Surely it's unnecessary to have a reserve that low. (shrug) 

The reserve with BP is $156,000, the $130 is just the hammer....so below last sale, but by just a bid or so, not $37k

Edited by comix4fun

23,737 posts
3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

The reserve with BP is $156,000, the $130 is just the hammer....so below last sale, but by just a bid or so, not $37k

I know, but, surely the market for this kind of piece is up from 2015, which makes this kind of reserve below last sale (and which would lock in a loss for the seller) seems kind of unnecessary... 

43,206 posts
Just now, delekkerste said:

I know, but, surely the market for this kind of piece is up from 2015, which makes this kind of reserve below last sale (and which would lock in a loss for the seller) seems kind of unnecessary... 

It does seem odd, I agree. Perhaps the consignor has some specific monetary goal he needs to reach and wanted to make sure that happened. Some folks are just pessimistic. 

1,924 posts
10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

The other Frazetta went from something like $80k to reserve of $250k

It’s a great painting, and someone might make off with a bargain there. 

915 posts
7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It does seem odd, I agree. Perhaps the consignor has some specific monetary goal he needs to reach and wanted to make sure that happened. Some folks are just pessimistic. 

Maybe the consignor was ashamed and is dumping it because he hadn't gotten more signatures on it.  (shrug)

43,206 posts
Just now, glendgold said:

Maybe the consignor was ashamed and is dumping it because he hadn't gotten more signatures on it.  (shrug)

lol 

43,206 posts
Just now, spider9698 said:

Yeah, not having Tom Orzechowski's signature was a deal-breaker for me.

Imagine how much more it would be worth with Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Halle Berry signatures on it..

:flipbait:

12,876 posts
38 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It’s a great painting, and someone might make off with a bargain there. 

I like it quite a bit but $250k is way outside my means.  The reserve doesn’t seem crazy to me but I really have no idea how Frazetta paintings are priced.

915 posts

Something I hadn't noticed till now: 38 lots of Kirby art, which strikes me as more than I've seen in a single auction for a while.  I can't say that any specific page leaps out at me, and most of them are repeats --  but I recognize a few pages from long-term collections, so the results will be interesting. 

23,737 posts
32 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I like it quite a bit but $250k is way outside my means.  The reserve doesn’t seem crazy to me but I really have no idea how Frazetta paintings are priced.

Trust me, the reserve ($300K w/the juice, plus applicable sales tax) is :screwy: for that piece. The consignor is clearly hoping to ride the coattails of EQ and the other recent strong sales of Frazetta oils.

12,876 posts
4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Trust me, the reserve ($300K w/the juice, plus applicable sales tax) is :screwy: for that piece. The consignor is clearly hoping to ride the coattails of EQ and the other recent strong sales of Frazetta oils.

Where are you planning to hang the EQ piece :baiting:

1,924 posts
55 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

It's not cheap by any means. But, relative to Frazetta fantasy paintings, it is pretty damn nice. It's just not one of his more well known creations. That's why I think that it may wind up being a bargain. 

1,924 posts
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Well, sure. It's "crazy" for the status quo, but maybe not 5 years from now.  It's pretty sweet.frazettagirls-art-print-fine-art-print-stretched-on-wooden-bar-18x24-jaguar-god-ii-print-28209136006.jpg?v=1532578771

Edited by PhilipB2k17

4,390 posts
5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Now, I am thinking it will hit $7.5-$8 million. I originally thought it would be over $5,000,000.

Scary what this will do to his market.

25MILLION!!!! and Jim walks it to winner's house from Dallas...even if you live in Hong Kong. No biggie, we already know Jim walks on water.

4,390 posts
2 hours ago, tth2 said:

Now I'm really scared. :eek:

Yes. The last bear is finally a bull.

25,000 posts
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

To put it in perspective.. for that 300k, one could have bought almost any other piece of comic OA ever sold (including frazetta interior pages) .    I couldn’t see paying 1/3 of that even if I was in the market for one .   But, I am bearish on his late career material

Edited by Bronty

12,876 posts
1 hour ago, Bronty said:

To put it in perspective.. for that 300k, one could have bought almost any other piece of comic OA ever sold (including frazetta interior pages) .    I couldn’t see paying 1/3 of that even if I was in the market for one .   But, I am bearish on his late career material

$300k wouldn’t have gotten you the “Spider-Man nuts the Hulk” cover :insane:

5,134 posts
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Given the consistent pattern we've seen of high reserves all getting tripped the day before the live auction, I would wager that many/most/all of these high-end Frazetta lots have carried some form of guarantee. I don't know if it's all Jim/Heritage, and/or if a third party/parties are getting in on the action, but, it is by far the most logical explanation for this fact pattern. As a mutual friend of ours queried a while back, "who on earth that really wanted to buy one of these would tip their hand early by tripping a reserve that everyone thought was high?" EXACTLY. And, then, when it keeps happening, there is no other plausible explanation that all of these lots carry a guarantee, and tripping the reserves before the live auction tells other bidders that the piece is definitely going to sell, with a real money buyer establishing a floor (so banish any thoughts of it going RNM and you getting it cheaper). 

If Jim was to buy it he would save BP at least...possibly sales tax and shipping?

Edited by Mmehdy