Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

3,870 posts
27 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

If Jim was to buy it he would save BP at least...possibly sales tax and shipping?

It's never been clear if Jim has executive privilege exempting him from BP. If yes, is that blanket for all HA employees? Wow quite the fringe benefit, no?

Sales tax? No unless he's buying as a dealer with exemption. It's always been presented that Jim's collection is personal, but maybe it's legally business inventory?

626 posts
3 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Well, sure. It's "crazy" for the status quo, but maybe not 5 years from now.  It's pretty sweet.

Fritz gave the art world so many wonderful things. IMO that piece is very far from one of them.

I’m not saying the painting is a total POS, I’m just saying in the pantheon of late era Frazetta art, that’s definitely a piece that doesn’t get picked for dodgeball.

:)

574 posts
4 hours ago, glendgold said:

Something I hadn't noticed till now: 38 lots of Kirby art, which strikes me as more than I've seen in a single auction for a while.  I can't say that any specific page leaps out at me, and most of them are repeats --  but I recognize a few pages from long-term collections, so the results will be interesting. 

Yeh, seems like a lot. Also noticed some of the Comic Connect "inventory" Kirby is actually up for auction finally. Does somebody know something we don't?

Also, I like Jaguar God.

22,949 posts
1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

If Jim was to buy it he would save BP at least...possibly sales tax and shipping?

Heritage says he pays full freight in terms of BP (as per Todd Hignite's Felix Comic Art podcast interview).  That said, when you own a big chunk of the company, full freight isn't really full freight given that a portion effectively gets rebated as part of your bottom line (and private market stock valuation). But, granted, it ain't zero, as a lot of people seem to believe.

I am confident that he doesn't pay sales tax as a dealer. 

53,458 posts
11 hours ago, spider9698 said:

Yeah, not having Tom Orzechowski's signature was a deal-breaker for me.

lol

53,458 posts
11 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Imagine how much more it would be worth with Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Halle Berry signatures on it..

:flipbait:

And don't forget James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Peter Dinklage and Sophie Turner!

What a great quest for anyone who wins the piece--get the signature of every cast member of every X-Men movie ever! :wishluck:

53,458 posts
12 hours ago, delekkerste said:
12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

The reserve with BP is $156,000, the $130 is just the hammer....so below last sale, but by just a bid or so, not $37k

I know, but, surely the market for this kind of piece is up from 2015, which makes this kind of reserve below last sale (and which would lock in a loss for the seller) seems kind of unnecessary...

The owner is a prominent player in the OA market and knows the dynamics of the market very well, no?  

So perhaps by setting a reserve he is indicating that the powers that be in the OA market are feeling less than confident about the strength of the market.

12,431 posts

I was doing a little "price discovery" today and almost doubled the price on one particular piece and still didn't have the high bid :whatthe:

17,831 posts
On 3/24/2019 at 7:34 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Murphy Anderson's Hawkman #4 Zatanna First Appearance Complete 13-Page Story is also up for auction. 

Screenshot_20190325-013028.png

Beautiful artwork. (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/murphy-anderson-hawkman-4-zatanna-first-appearance-complete-13-page-story-the-girl-who-split-in-two-original-a/a/7209-91004.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

22,949 posts
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tth2 said:

The owner is a prominent player in the OA market and knows the dynamics of the market very well, no? 

If he was a prominent player in the OA market, he wouldn't have defaced the art area with unnecessary signatures. 

He may be a prominent something, but, prominent player in the OA market ain't it. :whistle:

Maybe he's worried that the piece has been tainted by his ownership and poor stewardship of it. 

Edited by delekkerste

7,088 posts
4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If he was a prominent player in the OA market, he wouldn't have defaced the art area with unnecessary signatures. 

He may be a prominent something, but, prominent player in the OA market ain't it. :whistle:

Maybe he's worried that the piece has been tainted by his ownership and poor stewardship of it. 

Wonder if this was purchased with Stan’s money....

Wouldn’t Stan’s estate have a right to claim the art? 

53,458 posts
3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Really?  Who spends $150k on a piece without being a serious collector?

22,949 posts
14 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Did you even click on the link?? 

7,088 posts
5 hours ago, tth2 said:

Someone spending another’s money.

42,739 posts
6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I was thinking of having t-shirts made with this on it...so I could save time at conventions when I meet up with boardies.  

33,155 posts
4 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I was thinking of having t-shirts made with this on it...so I could save time at conventions when I meet up with boardies.  

:takeit:

53,458 posts
12 hours ago, delekkerste said:
12 hours ago, tth2 said:

I did, but I'd seen the story before.  There's no reference to the X-Men OA in there at all.

835 posts

Just a few more days to go before the live bidding begins and thus far I’ve been unsuccessful in narrowing down my interests to less than 20 lots.

not to sound morbid or anything, but I’ve started to shift my focus back to comics, and specifically to books where I can get a lot of sigs from creators who are still with us.  There are still a few artists who occasionally appear at shows or make themselves available for private signings who have worked in comics since the 50’s who may not be with us much longer 🙁

24,585 posts
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Just a few more days to go before the live bidding begins and thus far I’ve been unsuccessful in narrowing down my interests to less than 20 lots.

not to sound morbid or anything, but I’ve started to shift my focus back to comics, and specifically to books where I can get a lot of sigs from creators who are still with us.  There are still a few artists who occasionally appear at shows or make themselves available for private signings who have worked in comics since the 50’s who may not be with us much longer 🙁

Well, their art will live past them.   Better than a signature..   but if signed comics are your thing, rock on

Edited by Bronty

3,870 posts
35 minutes ago, Bronty said:

if signed comics are your thing

:screwy: