• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I dunno if its my imagination, changes Frank made, or part of the print process but the overall color palette I prefer on the published image above.   Seems a little too muted and sepia colored on the heritage image

(beautiful either way, of course!)

You can barely make out that second column in the HA pic. If anything I would expect their image to be more enhanced/lightened.

20 hours ago, delekkerste said:

hm 

It is widely speculated that Heritage or Halperin tripped the reserve on at least the last couple of big ticket Frazettas (the Famous Funnies cover and the Death Dealer VI) a day before the live auction (which went on to sell for even more the following day, though, pretty sure that Jim/HA did not win those). :whistle: 

Anyone who doesn't think Jim/HA doesn't manipulate OA outcomes is more in DeNile than than Frazetta's Queen of Egypt. #HeyItsLegalInTexas #tellyourstorywalkin

Edited by dirtymartini1

If I had the resources and connections to own any five Frazetta paintings: 

1. Creepy 11 Cover  (I never see it named anywhere... if any of y'all know the name of it off hand???)
  2. Cat Girl
  3. Egyptian Queen
  4. Conan the Destroyer
  5. Conan Chained

In that order. The cover to Creepy 11 is just my damned favorite picture of anything ever. I've spent hours staring at it. 

If i could wrangle 5 more I'd start grabbing the paintings that were used for Blazing Combat, and Sun Goddess, 

... I really am a Warren Magazine Cover Man. Most of his Warren covers are just pure unadulterated joy... and you cant want Frazetta paintings without wanting some Conan. 

I think Egyptian Queen goes for stupid, stupid, stupid money... $ 3.5 MM. Really am excited to watch. 

I just saw this auction in an email. I assume she'll be on display so we can all make the trip to get a chance to see her before she's gone. Like many I had an Egyptian Queen print or poster. I can't remember which. But the quality was pretty poor compared to when I saw another image in the big Frazetta Underwood book. I expect the original will be one of Frazetta's highest priced auctions. Egyptian Queen was probably my top Frazetta illustration until I saw another one of his Egyptian Queen sketches I think in that Women print collection. There are a few jungle girls that jumped above Egyptian Queen as well.

On 3/19/2019 at 6:31 PM, Timely said:

Did any of you see the Strange Inheritance episode that aired a while back on the Frazetta estate? A VERY interesting episode that shows the inner struggle the family has had since Frank's passing. I highly recommend watching it! Some very cool footage!

On 3/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, cstojano said:

I wish. No cable and impossible to find online, even pay streaming services as far as I can tell.

I would like to see that Strange Inheritance episode but the full episode isn't online anywhere last time I checked. It has to be out there somewhere.

6 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

I think Egyptian Queen goes for stupid, stupid, stupid money... $ 3.5 MM. Really am excited to watch. 

I'm thinking it will cross collecting lines and draw interest from the fine art crowd. Then, don't be surprised if it passes $5 million.

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I'm thinking it will cross collecting lines and draw interest from the fine art crowd. Then, don't be surprised if it passes $5 million.

I couldn't say, but it will be interesting to see where this ends up in terms of prices for illustrators not named Rockwell.    I don't think there's been a lot of non-Rockwell sold at this level to my knowledge.

I guess that the Pink Floyd art is holding the seat warm for now.

Edited by Bronty

8 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

What's your favorite Molly Hatchett Album Cover Art? hm

The non-testicle peek-a-boo ones, if any.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

I disagree. IMO it's 100% genre and of no interest outside comic/fantasy/illustration circles.

Maybe not, but have you seen some of the prices that graffiti artists have drawn? Really rich people keep wanting to show off how much they have.

36 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Maybe not, but have you seen some of the prices that graffiti artists have drawn? Really rich people keep wanting to show off how much they have.

Yes. The difference is branding. Banksy, Shepard Fairey, Revok, et al (going all the way back to NYC late 70s early 80s to Basquiat, Haring and friends) are all branded gallery darlings. Frank Frazetta never was. And still isn't. That means, outside "our" circle the signature means next to nothing and the piece must stand on on visual merit alone...which is approximately "stiff Orientalist but not 19th century and not Jean-Leon Gerome". And "our" market already has top Frazetta oils going for more than JLG in many cases anyway! Why pay more for less? That would be what the fine art folks would be thinking..

On 3/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, vodou said:

Yes. The difference is branding. Banksy, Shepard Fairey, Revok, et al (going all the way back to NYC late 70s early 80s to Basquiat, Haring and friends) are all branded gallery darlings. Frank Frazetta never was. And still isn't. That means, outside "our" circle the signature means next to nothing and the piece must stand on on visual merit alone...which is approximately "stiff Orientalist but not 19th century and not Jean-Leon Gerome". And "our" market already has top Frazetta oils going for more than JLG in many cases anyway! Why pay more for less? That would be what the fine art folks would be thinking..

There is likely a slim venn diagram of Park Avenue art collectors and people who want to display work that's been spraypainted on the side of a van. 

8 minutes ago, glendgold said:

There is likely a slim venn diagram of Park Avenue art collectors and people who want to display work that's been spraypainted on the side of a van. 

I think it's more your neck of the woods than NYC that would care. And London.

4 hours ago, glendgold said:

I think it's a lot wider than you might think.