Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
4 4

783 posts in this topic

7,276 posts
Posted (edited)

Underbidder in the ASM 43 page but it had gone out of my comfort zone. Did win a smaller item that I’m very happy about!

Not a bad flip on the peanuts strip! This is what it’s sold for in March.

CB6155F6-1209-4E26-8479-27BFCE70959E.jpeg

Edited by AnkurJ

12,825 posts
18 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Underbidder in the ASM 43 page but it had gone out of my comfort zone. Did win a smaller item that I’m very happy about!

Not a bad flip on the peanuts strip! This is what it’s sold for in March.

CB6155F6-1209-4E26-8479-27BFCE70959E.jpeg

I was really surprised how high it went.  Maybe because it is a later one and not too many seem to show up.

54,658 posts
8 hours ago, vodou said:
9 hours ago, Nexus said:

However this happened, it's now a legit comp. Or as legit as these things go.

Agree but until confirmation BP was paid it's 4.5m not 5.4m

I think it's the other way around. 

Until you can confirm that BP was not paid, then we should all be able to assume that it's $5.4m.

The burden of proof is usually on the conspiracy theorist, not the way other way around.

12,434 posts

They’re advertising it as 5.4 as well 

12,825 posts

I liked the Adam's Green Lantern but couldn't get past his leg in the top right panel :sick:

54,658 posts
3 hours ago, buttock said:

I got the Kubert splash.  It'll go well with my other DC war art, somehow it all ends up being aerial themed. 

Awesome pick up, Dan! :applause:

54,658 posts
3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Very true.  Content is king.  Sadly I did not land another Peanuts strip.  I really liked that Snoopy tied up one.

So did other people, apparently.  Interestingly, that one's price broke out early compared to the other 2 50s Peanuts dailies, but ended up being only the 2nd most expensive.

12,825 posts
1 minute ago, tth2 said:

So did other people, apparently.  Interestingly, that one's price broke out early compared to the other 2 50s Peanuts dailies, but ended up being only the 2nd most expensive.

That's cuz I did some "discover" bidding

54,658 posts
2 hours ago, batman_fan said:
2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Now now...don't ruin your father's day surprise...Anna's really trying to do something special here. 

If she wanted to do something special, wouldn’t she have bought the Boris painting on CLINK :insane:

:roflmao:

I would pay for a picture of Gene's face when he unwraps the painting.

43,092 posts
Just now, tth2 said:

:roflmao:

I would pay for a picture of Gene's face when he unwraps the painting.

Even with the most spartan and stoic of poker faces & resolve on Gene's part, I am wagering it comes across something like this:

7uhIbzG.gif.a838768deb6dec05ca424e8d58e707b0.gif

54,658 posts

So I had my sights set on the Buck Rogers daily from 1929 and figured I would have a free run at it, because who collects an old dead strip that has zero relevance to the modern era and is by  Caulkins, right?

So I put in one online bid after another, and none was able to outbid the high online bid.  When my bid inclusive of BP topped $5000, I gave up.  I really wanted the piece, but not that bad.:frustrated:

2,389 posts
25 minutes ago, tth2 said:

So I had my sights set on the Buck Rogers daily from 1929 and figured I would have a free run at it, because who collects an old dead strip that has zero relevance to the modern era and is by  Caulkins, right?

So I put in one online bid after another, and none was able to outbid the high online bid.  When my bid inclusive of BP topped $5000, I gave up.  I really wanted the piece, but not that bad.:frustrated:

I was very surprised about the Buck Rogers strip. I have seen a number of early Caulkins Buck Rogers but most go for under $2K. He did work on the series until the late 40s and his art did improve but was never a great strip artist. Buck Rogers itself never did become that popular. Flash Gordon who was created by Alex Raymond to compete with Buck Rogers and has become much more popular. Only Murphy Anderson's work from '47-'49 and '58-'59 is the only artwork that people are really interested in. Buck Roger these days doesn't compare with Flash Gordon, no one is interested in it.

12,825 posts
39 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That sucks.  Maybe it is just me, but prices seemed pretty strong to me in this auction.

9,367 posts
42 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That one caught my eye.  Something about it seemed like a strong representative example.

2,498 posts
38 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Talk about frustration...I was high bid on a piece at $6500 (with a $10k max) with “Fair warning” (reiterated 3 times!) raising anticipation for a sweet win.  At the last second, a cut bid, then another, and few more bids later the piece is at $12k (and I’m out).  I’m like :frustrated:

1,847 posts
1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I love those, Calkins has a great style, nice heavy lines......they’ll be others.

3,797 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, suspense39 said:

I love those, Calkins has a great style, nice heavy lines......they’ll be others.

Back in 2010 I found this auction for strip #9 where Buck Rogers was given his first rocket gun and was mesmerized by it.  Despite the estimate, the strip didn't sell and I emailed the auction house afterwards and it was available for offer and I believe the initial reserve was around 5K.  I ultimately decided against it but have thought about/regretted it ever since.  I do wonder where it wound up...

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/auctions/upcoming-auctions/susanins-auction-to-launch-buck-rogers-into-21st-century-aug-28/

Lot 2044

44/7000-159
CALKINS, BUCK ROGERS DAILY COMIC STRIP ORIGINAL ART (JOHN F. DILLE CO., 1929).
Comprised of strip #9 from the "Meeting the Mongols" series. The top left corner of the first panel is numbered 10, but the strip is actually #9. The first two panels depict Buck Rogers being administered an electro-hyptonic test, being given his first rocket gun, and being welcomed into the Alleghany organization. The third panel is the original concept, which details the audio death machine, and the revelation that Buck had not seen Wilma in many days. The last panel depicts Buck being told that Wilma is missing. The last panel is signed in the LM "LT. Calkins, Air Corps"
Image area: 6.5" x 25.1"
$18,000/$22,000

Condition: No Specific Condition Recorded - Sold As Is

Unsold

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "dem1138@yahoo.com" <dem1138@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010, 10:09:52 AM PDT
Subject: Buck Rogers unsold lot

Good afternoon, 

Thank you for contacting Susanin's Auctions regarding the unsold Buck Rogers lot. I would suggest that you make an offer on the lot with me, and I will present it to the consignor of the collection to see if they would be interested in selling the piece.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Many thanks, 

Patrick Kearney
900 S. Clinton Street
Chicago, IL 60607
P: 312-832-9800
F: 312-832-9311
www.twitter.com/SUSANINSauction

Edited by dem1138

1,847 posts
7 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

Back in 2010 I found this auction for strip #9 where Buck Rogers was given his first rocket gun and was mesmerized by it.  Despite the estimate, the strip didn't sell and I emailed the auction house afterwards and it was available for offer and I believe the initial reserve was around 5K.  I ultimately decided against it but have thought about/regretted it ever since.  I do wonder where it wound up...

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/news/auctions/upcoming-auctions/susanins-auction-to-launch-buck-rogers-into-21st-century-aug-28/

Lot 2044

44/7000-159
CALKINS, BUCK ROGERS DAILY COMIC STRIP ORIGINAL ART (JOHN F. DILLE CO., 1929).
Comprised of strip #9 from the "Meeting the Mongols" series. The top left corner of the first panel is numbered 10, but the strip is actually #9. The first two panels depict Buck Rogers being administered an electro-hyptonic test, being given his first rocket gun, and being welcomed into the Alleghany organization. The third panel is the original concept, which details the audio death machine, and the revelation that Buck had not seen Wilma in many days. The last panel depicts Buck being told that Wilma is missing. The last panel is signed in the LM "LT. Calkins, Air Corps"
Image area: 6.5" x 25.1"
$18,000/$22,000

Condition: No Specific Condition Recorded - Sold As Is

Unsold

----- Forwarded Message -----
To: "dem1138@yahoo.com" <dem1138@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010, 10:09:52 AM PDT
Subject: Buck Rogers unsold lot

Good afternoon, 

Thank you for contacting Susanin's Auctions regarding the unsold Buck Rogers lot. I would suggest that you make an offer on the lot with me, and I will present it to the consignor of the collection to see if they would be interested in selling the piece.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. 

Many thanks, 

Patrick Kearney
900 S. Clinton Street
Chicago, IL 60607
www.twitter.com/SUSANINSauction

Wow, that’s a great early one! Too bad you didn’t land it. Prices on those have really been up and down over the years; I was happy to see the solid result at heritage.

548 posts
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I likely will never get my Romita Sr Spider-Man page.  I really liked that page from 132 but someone else liked it a LOT more

contact me privately Mr. Peanuts! :).

Edited by romitaman

235 posts
7 hours ago, tth2 said:

Never knew bondage was big plus for Peanuts collectors...