• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage May 16 - 18 Comic Art Signature Auction - Chicago
3 3

764 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Bronty said:

An exception, and wins in lame categories.    Did get a nomination in a real category, true.

I'm still not sure why. There is a racist tone to the story (based on its 1960's origins) which is being ignored because the movie celebrates black culture. Panther was born a King, but is an absolute ruler, in a country blessed with an alien metiorite (like Saudi Arabia is blessed with oil)(not one which pulled itself up by its own bootstraps) which engages in warfare dressed in modified tribal garb while hiding from the world? A true hero pulls himself up (like Luke Cage) and those around him. The fact that his country used its weath to secretly help other areas of the world, like rebuilding homes for the poor, is more heroic than the basic plot line. I like the idea of Shazam much more.

12 hours ago, tth2 said:

Are you trying to talk down the price of the piece or something? 

:facepalm:

tin-foil-hats-03.jpg.9ce74ddd683cd3e811f741bedf27a065.jpg

The sigs in the art area are ugly, and for someone to have had them placed there in the last few years (not long ago, before people knew better) is pretty inexcusable. I mean, *nobody* gets sigs in the actual art area anymore - that's what the margins and obverse are for.

I already know one major collector/potential bidder who says the sigs may be a dealbreaker for him. :whatthe: So there! :baiting:

7 hours ago, Bronty said:

You've been pretty far ahead of the curve here in saying that comic art is not going to get fine art acceptance, so doesn't that imply that we should enjoy what the art is without trying to "elevate" it?

Comic art doesn't have to be traditional fine art to appreciate it as art. And, as such, putting a bunch of sigs in the actual art area just cheapens it, IMO.

No serious OA collector would think this piece has been in any way improved by the addition of these sigs in the art area, or would ever think of defacing any art they own in this manner. I'm not saying that most people wouldn't be able to look past it, but, let's not kid ourselves - it's :facepalm:

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

The sigs in the art area are ugly, and for someone to have had them placed there in the last few years (not long ago, before people knew better) is pretty inexcusable. I mean, *nobody* gets sigs in the actual art area anymore

I agree with Gene.

...this "fine" example occurred during last year's Alamo City Con...The Governator, in blue Sharpie...

IMG_2176.jpg

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

Comic art doesn't have to be traditional fine art to appreciate it as art. And, as such, putting a bunch of sigs in the actual art area just cheapens it, IMO.

No serious OA collector would think this piece has been in any way improved by the addition of these sigs in the art area, or would ever think of defacing any art they own in this manner. I'm not saying that most people wouldn't be able to look past it, but, let's not kid ourselves - it's :facepalm:

+1.  Makes it junkier. 

Always loved this cover when I was a kid, and i had no idea until today it was by Starlin. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-starlin-avengers-135-cover-ultron-original-art-marvel-1975-/p/7209-64001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

But now that I read the attribution, it's obviously Starlin.  I'm not sharp enough on his inks to know if he inked it too, though.  Anyone?  

Also cool to read how the cover was edited. 

G

36 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

I agree with Gene.

...this "fine" example occurred during last year's Alamo City Con...The Governator, in blue Sharpie...

IMG_2176.jpg

Dear Lord!!
What was EVERYONE involved with making that sig happen in that place thinking? 

2 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

I agree with Gene.

IMG_2176.jpg

This is the cover that got me into comic art. I have been looking for it ever since. A bit sickened, but still interested. PM sent for details. Unreal. 

And not that it is any consolation but this is actually a really nice Arnold sig. eBay is being filled with various CGC SS offerings and most sigs are Neal Adams quality. 

Edited by cstojano

4 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

I agree with Gene.

IMG_2176.jpg

OMFG 

Hate to break it to everyone, but 99% of the planet would say that his signature enhances the piece. Arnold is in the mix for being the single biggest global star of a generation.

I have 5-10 pieces of OA on my walls in my home. If I added this one with Arnold's signature, it would get more attention from guests than all my others combined.

I stopped asking for autographs unless I can specifically control where the artist, and only the artist, signs his name AND I hand him a pen with archival ink.  :whatthe:

At least Schwartzenegger's signature is below the primary figures.  But why have him sign when he's not the artist?

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I already know one major collector/potential bidder who says the sigs may be a dealbreaker for him. :whatthe: So there! :baiting:

Cool, maybe I'll end up inadvertently winning it if collectors continue to obsess over completely immaterial things.

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:
6 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

I agree with Gene.

IMG_2176.jpg

Dear Lord!!
What was EVERYONE involved with making that sig happen in that place thinking? 

This is an abomination, but it's also totally different from the X-Men page, unless there are signatures from Hugh Jackman and other members of the cast of the X-Men movies that I didn't notice.

49 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

Hate to break it to everyone, but 99% of the planet would say that his signature enhances the piece. Arnold is in the mix for being the single biggest global star of a generation.

I have 5-10 pieces of OA on my walls in my home. If I added this one with Arnold's signature, it would get more attention from guests than all my others combined.

There are lots of things that 99% of the planet would think are cool, or great, or works, and they'd still be wrong. lol