• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 March Madness - Round of 48
3 3

191 posts in this topic

Just now, Shark said:

I just checked the threads for this year's seeding round, round of 96 and this last round.  Nothing is stated about double cover books being graded only by the outer cover.  Even though it may have been stated in previous years' contests, it seems that is something that should be prominently stated in the initial post in every round.  Had I known that was the case (assuming it is), I would have guessed 1.5 to 1.8 on the 2.0 double cover book and easily advanced.  :facepalm:

I feel your pain.  I think he just assumed no one would try to grade a cover they couldnt see but didnt consider that people would place it in their calculus even unseen.

2 hours ago, Shark said:
2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I don't have the spreadsheet in front of me.  What did I do wrong?  @Shark

I guessed 6.5 on the 1st book and you entered it in the spreadsheet as 8.5.  :makepoint:

Thanks.  I'll look into it tonight.

Always double check your scores! 

55 minutes ago, Shark said:

I just checked the threads for this year's seeding round, round of 96 and this last round.  Nothing is stated about double cover books being graded only by the outer cover.  Even though it may have been stated in previous years' contests, it seems that is something that should be prominently stated in the initial post in every round.  Had I known that was the case (assuming it is), I would have guessed 1.5 to 1.8 on the 2.0 double cover book and easily advanced.  :facepalm:

Here's the initial PM I sent to every contestant:

Welcome to March Madness 2019!

Grades are due by 10pm (EST) Sunday, March 10th

We'll use this thread and this thread only to communicate.

Once I've acknowledged receiving your grades you can not change them. 

The can use any grade that CGC assigns, from NG to 10.0

The will be no restored/conserved books.

You're going to see a lot of double covers.  I'm only looking for the grade of the outer cover.  The inner cover and pages will have no affect on the grade of the outer cover.  When I reveal grades, I will only reveal the grade of the outer cover. 

@Shark

Edited by BlowUpTheMoon

5 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Here's the initial PM I sent to every contestant:

Welcome to March Madness 2019!

Grades are due by 10pm (EST) Sunday, March 10th

We'll use this thread and this thread only to communicate.

Once I've acknowledged receiving your grades you can not change them. 

The can use any grade that CGC assigns, from NG to 10.0

The will be no restored/conserved books.

You're going to see a lot of double covers.  I'm only looking for the grade of the outer cover.  The inner cover and pages will have no affect on the grade of the outer cover.  When I reveal grades, I will only reveal the grade of the outer cover. 

@Shark

I of course missed that.  :pullhair:

2 hours ago, Shark said:

I of course missed that.  :pullhair:

Part of the learning process.  In times past people would miss the comments on the books eg one wonder woman had missing centerfold.  It was therefore a 0.5 but some didnt read and gave her a 6.0.  It's an all around detail-oriented contest.

12 hours ago, khoo75 said:

Congrats Flashlites!  I was thinking you might have sandbagged the seeding round given your strong performance when it counts.:applause: I'm pulling for you to win the whole thing!!

Thanks! Im kinda just winging it. I totally bombed the first round. I was forced to recalibrate quickly! Learning a lot along the way... I really did not think I had a chance against you!

Edited by flashlites
Addition

17 hours ago, Shark said:

Wait - you were grading the inside cover of double covers where you couldn't see the inside cover?

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Wait - you were grading the inside cover of double covers where you couldn't see the inside cover?

Yep, and I should have asked questions before attempting to do so - and paid more attention to the wording in Blowie's initial PM.  That alone caused me to get booted from the tournament.  I was actually closer on grade on 2 of the books than my opponent and we tied on the other one.  My experience and knowledge of the way double covers are graded actually got in the way this time.  Live and learn.....live and learn.....

33 minutes ago, Shark said:

Yep, and I should have asked questions before attempting to do so - and paid more attention to the wording in Blowie's initial PM.  That alone caused me to get booted from the tournament.  I was actually closer on grade on 2 of the books than my opponent and we tied on the other one.  My experience and knowledge of the way double covers are graded actually got in the way this time.  Live and learn.....live and learn.....

was this the first time you have played in this tournament?

This one is unique in the use of NUMEROUS double covers and every year I've played, it was widely understood that you are to grade the outer cover.

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:

was this the first time you have played in this tournament?

This one is unique in the use of NUMEROUS double covers and every year I've played, it was widely understood that you are to grade the outer cover.

No, not the first time.  I've participated before but I don't believe I played in last year's tournament so it's been awhile.  It's my fault and nobody else's.  I was too focused on the "the inner cover is usually higher grade than the outer cover" double cover scenario.  Had I asked one simple question to Blowie in the PM all of this would have been avoided.  I'll definitely remember this for next year's tournament.

14 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I was last place in the seeding round and even I knew not to take the inner cover into consideration...

Thanks for the comment.  Makes me feel much better.

:facepalm: