• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 March Madness - Round of 48
3 3

191 posts in this topic

On ‎2019‎-‎03‎-‎21 at 9:11 AM, Shark said:

I only lost by 5 points (Blowie entered my 1st guess incorrectly) so I don't feel too bad about not advancing.  But I blew the grade on the double cover Rudolph (guessed 4.0).  So did you guys grade it that low because of the top of the spine?  I couldn't tell whether the inner cover was split or not.

Go get 'em letsgrumble!

Hey Mike...not sure if you're intimating that you are bringing the evaluation of the inner cover into the grade analysis.  The inner cover has no bearing on a DC book grade...only the outer cover is graded.

3 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

Hey Mike...not sure if you're intimating that you are bringing the evaluation of the inner cover into the grade analysis.  The inner cover has no bearing on a DC book grade...only the outer cover is graded.

Sorry Mike...late to the party...posted the above before I read through the discussion...

Since BOTM seems to have an endless supply of double covers we should do a whole contest of just guessing inner covers. Throw out the rulebook! That would be kind of badass.

5 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

Tom.....my understanding of double covers has always been that the better cover of the two is what the overall grade of the book was.  Example: Outer cover 9.0, inner cover 9.6, overall grade 9.6.  Has that changed?  I have books in my own collection where that's exactly the case.  I'm sure Christian does as well since he's a big double cover collector.

3 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Why is the RTRNR grade blocked out from the scan? That's curious.

because the 1st cover grade is on the label to avoid confusion...... it was a double cover... :foryou: 

1 minute ago, flashlites said:

It was a 2.0 then...

well lol the answer for this contest was 2.0, the outer cover was 2.0, the inside might have been higher or lower.... hence why they are edited

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

well lol the answer for this contest was 2.0, the outer cover was 2.0, the inside might have been higher or lower.... hence why they are edited

X-ray vision and my palm reader told me the inner cover was a 9.8 :roflmao:

1 hour ago, Shark said:

Tom.....my understanding of double covers has always been that the better cover of the two is what the overall grade of the book was.  Example: Outer cover 9.0, inner cover 9.6, overall grade 9.6.  Has that changed?  I have books in my own collection where that's exactly the case.  I'm sure Christian does as well since he's a big double cover collector.

Slab shows both cover grades but the overall grade is the best cover grade.  Which of course is pretty much always the inner cover.

7 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Do I have to drag this book out again?

1969903147_IncredibleHulk131double.thumb.JPG.a9a2cc02c5df69732dee97f60672997c.JPG

It makes sense to me. I mean technically the inner cover would kinda be like an interior page. Structurally you cant discount the how the exterior cover presents. I suppose someone could have the outer cover removed as part of a restoration?? But it would have to be professionally done. I like the way its noted and graded separately.

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

It makes sense to me. I mean technically the inner cover would kinda be like an interior page. Structurally you cant discount the how the exterior cover presents. I suppose someone could have the outer cover removed as part of a restoration?? But it would have to be professionally done. I like the way its noted and graded separately.

pretty sure you missed the important reason why this book was shown. Outer cover 9.0, Inner cover 9.6, GRADE ASSIGNED 8.5

i.e. LOWER than either of the cover grades.

36 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

pretty sure you missed the important reason why this book was shown. Outer cover 9.0, Inner cover 9.6, GRADE ASSIGNED 8.5

i.e. LOWER than either of the cover grades.

:insane:

Here's one for you... How can I find double covers in my collection? I know for sure I'm holding two and they're in my ASM collection, but I've forgotten which exactly they are and I'll be damned if I'm removing them all from the bags to find out.

I was thinking a micrometer or some digital scales that weight to a hundredth of a gram? But then I thought about the bags and boards which are not all the same. And the fact not all comics are cut the same.... Does anyone know what a cover actually weighs or how thick it is (not me the cover, silly) :) 

45 minutes ago, Dan82 said:

Here's one for you... How can I find double covers in my collection? I know for sure I'm holding two and they're in my ASM collection, but I've forgotten which exactly they are and I'll be damned if I'm removing them all from the bags to find out.

I was thinking a micrometer or some digital scales that weight to a hundredth of a gram? But then I thought about the bags and boards which are not all the same. And the fact not all comics are cut the same.... Does anyone know what a cover actually weighs or how thick it is (not me the cover, silly) :) 

I'm afraid you'll have take them out Dan. You could try the digital scale thing? But i'd be willing to bet there will be some inconsistencies, different bags and boards. Different size books too 32 pg, 60pg.:)