• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why I dont buy on Facebook

24 posts in this topic

Im sure Im gonna miss out on a good deal at some point, but if it saves me the trouble looking at the hundreds of overpriced books and dozens of cons, then so be it. 

Latest "scam" 

1. Lists a key on Facebook for  20% over GPA, claims he's offering it here because "my ebay buyer fell through" 

2. two different people within 24 hours of no bites pop up to say something to the effect of "OMG what a deal, Id buy it if I had the cash!" and "saw this book sell for $2k (this one was listed for $1200) last year, what a deal!)

What I see through some click investigating. 

1. the book hadnt been on ebay, hadn't sold on ebay, outside of a January sale and I dont think it takes 2 months for an eBay seller to "fall thru" strangely the eBay sale was for about 10% UNDER GPA. 

2. The two comments were by people who lived in the same town as the seller, and surprisingly had never posted in the Facebook group up until this point... 

So end of the day, guy buys a book for "under GPA' on eBay, then tries to flip it on Facebook group for a 20% markup, hoping these guys dont have GPA. And then he gets a couple of buddies to come in and falsify interest/market value in the book. 

Price manipulation occurs all over the place and even that is not exclusive to Facebook.  There is another scam that I have seen in the last few weeks but I do not want to promote it unless it is more widespread.  We all just have to be vigilant is all. 

6 minutes ago, faster friends said:

I don’t do Facebook but a friend of mine says that comic raffles are real big there.

yeah raffles are a perfect mix  for facebook 

one part dealers wanting to easily get rid of without having to go through the "effort" of listing it on eBay

one part buyers with no impulse control who dont know the market value for anything thinking they're gonna get a "deal" 

:roflmao:

31 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Price manipulation occurs all over the place and even that is not exclusive to Facebook. 

agreed, this just seems to be the version that takes advantage of the environment and participants in the facebook market. 

1 hour ago, faster friends said:

I don’t do Facebook but a friend of mine says that comic raffles are real big there.

There big in a lot of the Facebook collector markets. Whole lot of people getting way more for items than they are worth and have seen them rigged so only a core group wins. You can rig the random number generators.

2 hours ago, miraclemet said:

...hundreds of overpriced books and dozens of cons...

I prefer eBay with their thousands of overpriced books and hundreds of cons.

1 scam or even a dozen scams on FB won't deter me from buying from my trusted sellers. You can find a scammer anywhere. Do your homework. If someone says its a great deal maybe it is to them. Either way there are safeguards against stuff like this.

19 hours ago, miraclemet said:

yeah raffles are a perfect mix  for facebook 

one part dealers wanting to easily get rid of without having to go through the "effort" of listing it on eBay

one part buyers with no impulse control who dont know the market value for anything thinking they're gonna get a "deal" 

:roflmao:

You left out a third part. Degenerate gamblers. I was in one raffle group for a bit and it was gross to see the money some people would throw away.  

Four time I made a 'sale' on Facebook.  Twice the buyers never paid. 

Interesting conundrum though that was brought up in a GI Joe Facebook.group.  In this particular group, if a deal goes south or someone takes the money and runs you are not allowed to publicly post that the incident occurred. You are not allowed to talk about having a bad experience with that seller even if they ripped you off.  One person called someone out publicly this week after the person had not shipped their items for a month and were ignoring their messages. The mods deleted it. 

The response from the group was that how are we to know who NOT to deal with then? 

It's a different atmosphere there.  However it is a different atmosphere on other boards.  Take Rebelscum for example.  If you are looking for SW B/S threads that is the go to place it seems.  Same is true for HISSTANK for GI Joe stuff. Many people simply post "make an offer" and rarely post pics.  I like the rules here but also like eBay as my first avenue for person to person sales. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Four time I made a 'sale' on Facebook.  Twice the buyers never paid. 

Interesting conundrum though that was brought up in a GI Joe Facebook.group.  In this particular group, if a deal goes south or someone takes the money and runs you are not allowed to publicly post that the incident occurred. You are not allowed to talk about having a bad experience with that seller even if they ripped you off.  One person called someone out publicly this week after the person had not shipped their items for a month and were ignoring their messages. The mods deleted it. 

The response from the group was that how are we to know who NOT to deal with then? 

It's a different atmosphere there.  However it is a different atmosphere on other boards.  Take Rebelscum for example.  If you are looking for SW B/S threads that is the go to place it seems.  Same is true for HISSTANK for GI Joe stuff. Many people simply post "make an offer" and rarely post pics.  I like the rules here but also like eBay as my first avenue for person to person sales. 

In the record group I am a member in they post about bad sellers/scammers often.

36 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Many people simply post "make an offer" and rarely post pics.  I like the rules here but also like eBay as my first avenue for person to person sales. 

The rule we have forcing people to post a price is a good one. I look at other forums and their "sales" section is just people looking for offers.