• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I almost got one of the new custom marvel labels
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Until it tried to stick it on a separate invoice to charge me another processing fee and shipping on top of the $5.  Sorry label not worth that much to me.

Generic Labels > Specialized Labels.

I don't even like the Stan Lee one. We're basically holding certain characters above others with this kinda treatment. Maybe those who collect things like just Spider-Man (or just any of the other new label characters) will get into it.

I personally just don't get it.

14 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Until it tried to stick it on a separate invoice to charge me another processing fee and shipping on top of the $5.  Sorry label not worth that much to me.

I’ve never understood the separate handling fee for each category of books submitted. Just seems like a hidden fee to me.

Just now, bb8 said:

I’ve never understood the separate handling fee for each category of books submitted. Just seems like a hidden fee to me.

They were all moderns, was just the label lol

I do also, don't really mind that too much, but a printer label should be a printer label.  Maybe they have the special printer named Stan that just does custom.

I don't think CGC prints anything on the label other than the black text (title, grade, PG, artist notes, bar code, etc.)

Everything else, including the CGC watermark on the front, the red CGC logo on the back of the label, the logos on the top of the label, the big white grade area are all pre-printed stock they likely get from a supplier. 

So CGC likely has a printer(s) that has a tray for the blue Universal labels, another tray for the yellow SS, another tray for the PLOD, etc.. Then it's just part of the print job, like selecting Legal instead of Letter size paper. I'd hate to think they manually change it out as needed, but who knows.

Think even the holographic stickers are added afterwards, since they aren't in the exact same position on all slabs.

This also may explain why these special labels aren't available forever and the extra surcharge.

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Generic Labels > Specialized Labels.

I don't even like the Stan Lee one. We're basically holding certain characters above others with this kinda treatment. Maybe those who collect things like just Spider-Man (or just any of the other new label characters) will get into it.

I personally just don't get it.

I'd imagine the majority of collectors feel this way. Personally I liken these custom labels to a signature series book. There are plenty of books I'd like them on but others I wouldn't.

I think if the cover is particularly splashy and colorful (ASM 122 or 124 being examples) then having an artful label on top of that wouldn't make sense. In other hand it would be a better fit for a less flamboyant or showy cover 2c  As the labels stands now however based on their recent promotional video the artwork is not retro enough for me at least so probably won't do it other than maybe 2 iron mans