• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic stores for vintage in El Cerrito / Berkeley area
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Any Californians know where to send me? I'll be there a few days, but I've got time to visit probably just one place. I'm interested in the city's historical importance as a collecting and hobby hub but mainly would love to find somewhere that sold the sort of things I just don't find in the Nashville area.

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Any Californians know where to send me? I'll be there a few days, but I've got time to visit probably just one place. I'm interested in the city's historical importance as a collecting and hobby hub but mainly would love to find somewhere that sold the sort of things I just don't find in the Nashville area.

Bad news:  The present GA market in Berkeley (El Cerrito is just a few miles North - 1 or 2 Bart station ride) is not anywhere near as robust as it was in the glory days. 

Possibly good news:  There's a Berkeley comic show on April 7, if that's when you are visiting.  That same day, there is also an Alameda Antique Fair / flea market.

Good news:  There are comic/cartoon history museums in the area:

* Cartoon Art Museum (SF)  https://www.cartoonart.org/events-exhibitions/#upcoming-exhibitions

* Walt Disney Family Museum (SF - really cool!) https://www.waltdisney.org/

* Charles Schulz Museum (Santa Rosa - bit of a hike) https://schulzmuseum.org/

4 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

When are you in town?

Hit up Marc from House of Comics. He runs the Berkeley Comic Con but you can set up an appointment and visit his warehouse. 

King's Comics in Berkeley has a lot of vintage back issues, but I haven't been there in years. 

Dennis King's store is known as D King Gallery located at 2284 Fulton Street in Berkeley.  His phone is 510 5481062.  His store carries comics, sports and nonsports cards, and one of the largest collections of rock posters that I have ever seen.  I have been a customer for over 40 years. Hours are listed as Thursday to Saturday 12-6.  Call first.

House of Comics is pretty good too.

1 hour ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I only had time to meet and connected here with @HouseofComics.Com on my way to the airport on my final day in the area. That recommendation was the hookup for sure so thanks for that tip @shortboxed and @707comics. Marc is a great guy who I wish I'd had more time to listen to as I could quickly tell he's got a wealth of comic info that's new to me. I found a few westerns, some pretty war comics, and a hobo Captain Marvel comic. But I'm probably most tickled that he had some high grade, late-run Weird War Tales that push me several copies closer to a full run. Attractive prices, too, so I felt like I got a lot of bang for my buck. It was a great way to end a fun trip.

If I'm lucky, I'll get to attend GDC again next year and can make an annual visit out of Marc's goodies. :) Definitely recommend others visiting the area to send him some want lists.

IMG_20190325_130012.jpg

IMG_20190325_130036.jpg

IMG_20190325_130050.jpg

IMG_20190325_130103.jpg

IMG_20190325_130115.jpg

IMG_20190325_130132.jpg

IMG_20190325_130143.jpg

IMG_20190325_130151.jpg

Cool stuff David.  I love the Weird War run too.