• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 1-26 thread ... share & discuss
2 2

218 posts in this topic

Part of the reason I wanted to start a new thread focusing on these early books is that I want to find out more information about them.

The question that has been on my mind for quite a while is: Does anyone here on the boards have any of the pre-Bat Larson Detective issues or even any pictures of them? 

Jon Berk's Larson list in CBM #71 records the Larson Collection as having issues 3,4,6-10 & 14, but I have never seen any of them or been able to find any information about any of them being certified. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Edited by Frisco Larson

Seeking out information about the question above has sent my digging through my various mags, catalogs and lists. I was happy to find my Lost Valley Collection catalog!

For those who don't have a copy, the original catalog records pre-Bat Detective issues 1-10,12 & 14 being included in the collection. Some of these issues I have never seen pics of.

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I LOVE that thread Ricky!!!! It was SO much fun to see him unveil them a little at a time. As I recall, it was a thread for just his collection. I hope to get a lot of boardies with these books to participate. I hope RHG posts some here as well. 

6 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

This is a blended copy. I bought the coverless and then got lucky and found a cover!! 

Detective 26 cover (2).JPG

Detective 26 coverless 1st pg (2).JPG

I can imagine what a thrill it must have been to find such a nice ‘Tec 26 cover, congrats.

I have coverless ‘Tec 6, 9, 11, 13, 18, 20, 24, and 25. Like having a household full of homely daughters, I hope to marry them one day! (:

8 hours ago, woowoo said:

I don't have pics of all but this is what I have pics of.

Detective 1 more-fun 16 add.png

Detective-1.jpg

Detective-1-BC.jpg

Detective-3.jpg

Detective-4.jpg

Detective-10.jpg

Detective-12.jpg

Detective-15 Inside front cover.jpg

WOW, what an amazing run of raw early Detectives!!! It must be pretty thrilling to be able to look through a Detective #1 at your leisure!!! Well done!!! Oh and thanks for posting them!!!

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

I can imagine what a thrill it must have been to find such a nice ‘Tec 26 cover, congrats.

I have coverless ‘Tec 6, 9, 11, 13, 18, 20, 24, and 25. Like having a household full of homely daughters, I hope to marry them one day! (:

Thanks Steve! It was on NearMint's website and as I recall, it cost me just over 2 skins. Now that's just a front cover, so I'm still on the hunt for the back cover. I'm kinda nutty about how I'm putting the Tecs together: I want my certified copies unrestored with bright colors and high page quality. My raw reader copies …. I'm open to restoration, no specific grade range. The only thing there that I really don't want is chipping, crumbly books. 

That's great that you grabbed up all of those coverless copies!!! There's some fun reading there and I don't think many (if any) of them have been reprinted. I'll keep a look out for any covers for them but they ARE pretty difficult to find. 

Edited by Frisco Larson