• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 1-26 thread ... share & discuss
2 2

218 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Oh, and I have no idea where those Larsons are - never seen nor heard about any of them.

THANK YOU for this info!! Being a major Larson buyer as you are, I figured you may have some knowledge in regard to them. SOMEONE must know something as to their whereabouts or at least remember seeing them at one point in time. That's something fun to look forward to :) 

One of the fun surprises for me in looking through the pre-hero DC books is that I find cool house ads that I didn't know about. Although this copy of More Fun 36 is no longer in my hands, I DID think to grab a pic of the inside front cover!! 

More fun 36 inside cover.jpg

3 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

WOW, what an amazing run of raw early Detectives!!! It must be pretty thrilling to be able to look through a Detective #1 at your leisure!!! Well done!!! Oh and thanks for posting them!!!

I have a 5 that I had the cover restored in the early 80's since it was number 5 it was on the bottom of a pile. I went to look thru it 10 years ago and the mylar bag was stuck to the cover :whatthe: I did my best but when the book was taken out there was a lot of black dots on the mylar (shrug) so if the book was left without the color touch I would be happy to take a pic but now its a victim of the 80's restoration epidemic. I thought on this for a long time My early Action's Detectives Superman Batman and even Marvel 1 I bought cheap back then. I had them restored to 3 times FMV ( Remember there was only Good/Fine/Mint and inbetween back than ) Now if I would have left them alone I would be rolling in the $$$. hm Wait I am rich with Golden age love now it takes a lot of money to buy that type of love Unconditional Restored love :headbang:

27 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Did you restore them all woowoo, or did you leave some as is?

All but the 10 and 12 got those as unrestored vfnm from Sparkle city comics in the 80's from the comic book buyers guide :headbang: The Sparkle city comics now is not the same as the ones in the 80's

22 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I considered making a bid for the #22 that sold on Heritage last month (the 8.0 Restored), but decided the resto was just too extensive for my liking. It presents very well, though.

:makepoint: They are so rare you have to buy the book when you can than upgrade :whee:

Just now, woowoo said:

:makepoint: They are so rare you have to buy the book when you can than upgrade :whee:

I hear you! I just didn't want to pay north of $1600...or whatever it would have taken...to compete for that particular copy. I considered it, though! :)

21 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I hear you! I just didn't want to pay north of $1600...or whatever it would have taken...to compete for that particular copy. I considered it, though! :)

(thumbsu

12 hours ago, woowoo said:

I have a 5 that I had the cover restored in the early 80's since it was number 5 it was on the bottom of a pile. I went to look thru it 10 years ago and the mylar bag was stuck to the cover :whatthe: I did my best but when the book was taken out there was a lot of black dots on the mylar (shrug) so if the book was left without the color touch I would be happy to take a pic but now its a victim of the 80's restoration epidemic. I thought on this for a long time My early Action's Detectives Superman Batman and even Marvel 1 I bought cheap back then. I had them restored to 3 times FMV ( Remember there was only Good/Fine/Mint and inbetween back than ) Now if I would have left them alone I would be rolling in the $$$. hm Wait I am rich with Golden age love now it takes a lot of money to buy that type of love Unconditional Restored love :headbang:

That's really a bummer about the sticky color touch on your Tec 5. If you want that touched up so it's repaired and doesn't stick anymore, I can't recommend Kenny's work enough!! If you send it in to CCS, Matt will take a look at it for you and make an evaluation. I'm positive that they can fix it right up. Yeah, lots of people were on the restoration bandwagon in the 80s. I don't mind restoration on books that need it. In fact, I had a Daring Mystery 2 that was really rough. The spine was gone, as in, none of the pages or covers were connected anymore! It also had about a 3" x 3" piece off of the back cover. I gave it to Matt to save it's life. It took him a few years, really only working on it in his spare time, total back burner kind of thing. He turned it into a solid, completely attached, completely mended, easily readable copy. He absolutely saved it's life. So yeah, I'm all for saving books like that. I've just never agreed with taking a nice 6.0 and color touching it to get it to 8.0. I say leave those books alone. Restoration or not, the Tecs you posted here are beautiful :applause:

13 hours ago, Bronty said:

posting 17 and 26 side by side like that... I never realized how similar the silhouettes were (the one in blue and the one in black).   Must have used the same reference I would imagine.  Neat!

1580876291_Detective17.JPG.c4ea9c3fd4cf5

42372579_Detective26cover(2).JPG.8367d71

I never noticed that before! I'd be sure that Guardineer was very aware of Flessel's work.

11 hours ago, woowoo said:

All but the 10 and 12 got those as unrestored vfnm from Sparkle city comics in the 80's from the comic book buyers guide :headbang: The Sparkle city comics now is not the same as the ones in the 80's

woowoo, your Tec 10 is unrestored?  It's gorgeous, could be the census topper if you slabbed it.

2 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

That's really a bummer about the sticky color touch on your Tec 5. If you want that touched up so it's repaired and doesn't stick anymore, I can't recommend Kenny's work enough!! If you send it in to CCS, Matt will take a look at it for you and make an evaluation. I'm positive that they can fix it right up. Yeah, lots of people were on the restoration bandwagon in the 80s. I don't mind restoration on books that need it. In fact, I had a Daring Mystery 2 that was really rough. The spine was gone, as in, none of the pages or covers were connected anymore! It also had about a 3" x 3" piece off of the back cover. I gave it to Matt to save it's life. It took him a few years, really only working on it in his spare time, total back burner kind of thing. He turned it into a solid, completely attached, completely mended, easily readable copy. He absolutely saved it's life. So yeah, I'm all for saving books like that. I've just never agreed with taking a nice 6.0 and color touching it to get it to 8.0. I say leave those books alone. Restoration or not, the Tecs you posted here are beautiful :applause:

I wanted this to be restored and was told it was to cheap of a book to restore :whatthe: so I put it in my junk pile around 1981 and it did not have a bag its a little wavy but its unrestored 3x3 piece out of back cover

Action-13 2nd pic.JPG

Action-13 bc 2nd pic.JPG

1 hour ago, RareHighGrade said:

woowoo, your Tec 10 is unrestored?  It's gorgeous, could be the census topper if you slabbed it.

When I wanted to sell my Tec 1 and 27 and Bat 1 I drove to pgx to have a fast 3rd party grade to list on ebay and I brought my Action 10 12 15 and my early tecs along, we agreed on a price and I told him that they all had been restored.

The Tec 10 and 12 and Action 15 was the ones out of the group I was going to keep ungraded since they are unrestored and CGC was going to get them. He gave me a fair price and graded those 3 as a throw in. I got them back he graded them Restored all but the Action 15. I told him those are unrestored why would you put restored. He said the Action 15 had a drop of glue top and bottom spine :whatthe: I know that book was unrestored. The 10 and 12 Detective are unrestored also but I did tell him they are all restored my Bad. I have had all the top 25 golden age at least 5 times all but Action 1 and I know how to grade 100% now that said I do grade my books a half a point better than CGC has as of last 2 years :cry:   I do know that the Action 15 and Detective 10 and 12 are unrestored 95% sure. Remember back in the 80's those 2 Detectives are cheap books like 20 books.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:10 PM, Frisco Larson said:

This is a copy that used to belong to a longtime collector friend. Having seen it many times over the years, I was very happy to have been able to purchase it.

Detective 9 no label.jpg

Yes! My 2nd favorite Flessel cover. Can't put my finger on exactly why, but second only to N.Adv. 24.

'Tec 18 is 3rd; anyone...?

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

I quite enjoy reading 2 early Siegel and Shuster stories from 1 issue of pre-hero Detective Comics while I am on the throne:

wxNLqrg.jpg

:whatthe: Should we guess where the cover went on the top left King aardvark88:roflmao:

19 hours ago, woowoo said:

I wanted this to be restored and was told it was to cheap of a book to restore :whatthe: so I put it in my junk pile around 1981 and it did not have a bag its a little wavy but its unrestored 3x3 piece out of back cover

Action-13 2nd pic.JPG

Action-13 bc 2nd pic.JPG

That Action 13 is SUPER cool!!! Luckily it got kicked out of the restoration pile!!! You could ALWAYS have it restored, but I'd bet it's worth several times more being unrestored. Great book to already have.