• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 1-26 thread ... share & discuss
2 2

218 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Here's my raw copy of 15, which I thumb through more often than I should.

Detective15(MH).JPG

That statement makes me very happy RHG!!! I only have one raw Church book right now, but it's a pleasure to leaf through it from time to time! This is a beautiful copy! Curious though, what would you estimate it's grade to be?

1 hour ago, Frisco Larson said:

That statement makes me very happy RHG!!! I only have one raw Church book right now, but it's a pleasure to leaf through it from time to time! This is a beautiful copy! Curious though, what would you estimate it's grade to be?

Tough to say because of the minute tape pull on the upper right corner.  Maybe a 9.0?

13 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Tough to say because of the minute tape pull on the upper right corner.  Maybe a 9.0?

Bright banana yellow and just so clean!!! PLUS that inside front cover has to make ya smile every time you open it!!! I'm an easy mark for rich cover colors and great paper. Thanks for sharing this :applause:

5 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:

My next book is the "mystical " #8, Billy Wright Pedigree with Off-white pages. This shows you how early the Wright collection started: this book is one of the first 250 or so comics ever published, and pre-dated Action #1 by eight months :x

DTEC_8_75.jpg

Spectacular copy!!! This pedigree really shines with its selection of early Detective issues!! Although the technical grade of a few are in the 3.5ish range, I personally think they make up for it with overall clean presentation and above typical page quality (only a few with c/ow). I predict that this pedigree's prestige will increase in years to come! 

4 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Spectacular copy!!! This pedigree really shines with its selection of early Detective issues!! Although the technical grade of a few are in the 3.5ish range, I personally think they make up for it with overall clean presentation and above typical page quality (only a few with c/ow). I predict that this pedigree's prestige will increase in years to come! 

(thumbsu Actually had a 8.0 with "double" registration, and traded down to this 7.5 because it presented much nicer, and brighter etc, BB 

15 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

(thumbsu Actually had a 8.0 with "double" registration, and traded down to this 7.5 because it presented much nicer, and brighter etc, BB 

I totally get that! I've bought books with a lower number in the corner that looked nicer than the book with the higher number. The numerical grade is only one factor. 

8 hours ago, ender said:

I will admit that I thought about tracking down a Federal Comics Men #2 only because of the cover swipe.  Although there are subtle differences. The original is just such a cool image. :x

Image result for detective comics 9 cover swipe

I had a copy of this in my hands, ready to buy it, then changed my mind.

It’s really fun, but it wouldn’t have scratched the itch. Need the skyline, and that subtle blood in the water...just doesn’t make it.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I had a copy of this in my hands, ready to buy it, then changed my mind.

It’s really fun, but it wouldn’t have scratched the itch. Need the skyline, and that subtle blood in the water...just doesn’t make it.

You’re probably right, wouldn’t be ultimately satisfying. Also there a lot of little differences that sort of point out why Flessel is  such a legend.

Per HA, when I bought the book, the highest-graded unrestored copy that we have ever seen. (not sure if the cenus shows ahigher grade), Creig Flessel cover and art. Joe Shuster and Sven Elven art.     A stunning copy, that is crisp bright and blazing with color and registration, one of my favorite books, (worship)

tec_10_75_cgc_fc.jpg

9 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:

Per HA, when I bought the book, the highest-graded unrestored copy that we have ever seen. (not sure if the cenus shows ahigher grade), Creig Flessel cover and art. Joe Shuster and Sven Elven art.     A stunning copy, that is crisp bright and blazing with color and registration, one of my favorite books, (worship)

tec_10_75_cgc_fc.jpg

I'm pretty sure this issue was among the collection that Harley had in Chicago in either 2015 or 2016. My 17 and 19 were in that same batch. If it's not, it has the same grade and pq.