• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 1-26 thread ... share & discuss
2 2

218 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I don't see many of issues 5,13, 14 or 24. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're more rare than others though, they may just be books that people tend to hold on to. 

All of the ones you list are hard to find in any grade.  3 and 4 do not exist in high grade.  Ignoring grade, I find that 3, 5 and 24 are the toughest.  The least common is probably 24.

10 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

All of the ones you list are hard to find in any grade.  3 and 4 do not exist in high grade.  Ignoring grade, I find that 3, 5 and 24 are the toughest.  The least common is probably 24.

You are right about 4 not existing in high grade, but it is a VERY available issue. There have been 4 unrestored copies available to purchase in the last month, ranging from 3.0 to 6.0, including  the 5.0 ow paged copy Comiclink auctioned a few weeks ago (went for JUST under $6200, nice price (thumbsu). The 3 has been a bit less available than the 4 but I have seen a few recently. The only 14 I can recently recall is the copy from that collection with the dozen or so horizontal tape strip stains on the spine. A quick check of the census (including all label colors) shows that the 24 has the least graded CGC copies at 9, next 3 & 5 tie at 11, with 14 & 23 tied in 3rd place with 13. I was surprised by the 23, although come to think of it, I don't see it often. 

Edited by Frisco Larson

13 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

I'm pretty sure this issue was among the collection that Harley had in Chicago in either 2015 or 2016. My 17 and 19 were in that same batch. If it's not, it has the same grade and pq. 

You are correct, funny thing I think Harley, offered to me for 12K?  and I held off, book went to HA, and I got it for 8,9? so you never know, bird in the hand can be worth more than two in the bush,

33 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

You are correct, funny thing I think Harley, offered to me for 12K?  and I held off, book went to HA, and I got it for 8,9? so you never know, bird in the hand can be worth more than two in the bush,

Yeah, same thing happened with my 17. By the time these were coming back from grading in Chicago, I'd already spent most of what I had planned on spending. I got the 19 from him on the spot, but had to make mental notes on the rest hoping to have another swing at them later on. I believe he had $5900 on the 17, but after fees and whatnot, I got it outta Comiclink in the lower $4000s. Sometimes it works to your advantage. 

Edited by Frisco Larson

I can freely admit that I have not read a ton of crime comics from 1938-1944 but it seems by the covers that there is a very different “feel” to Detective Comics than all of the other crime comics that would come shortly after. Was that a product of Flessel’s talent and style or was there more to it than that?

20 hours ago, ender said:

I can freely admit that I have not read a ton of crime comics from 1938-1944 but it seems by the covers that there is a very different “feel” to Detective Comics than all of the other crime comics that would come shortly after. Was that a product of Flessel’s talent and style or was there more to it than that?

I guess you can say the early Detective covers are more illustrative than most (though not all) of the late 40s/early 50s covers, and look more like the 30s pulp covers which would have been on the stands at the same time.

21 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

Billy Wright Pedigree. The cover is a classic in most anyone's book. Creig Flessel is the artist, Fu Manchu the character. Unrestored copies of this issue are tough to come by. Batman was nine months away and Superman had been in just three comics when this issue hit the stands.       One of my all time favorites,

DET_18_75.jpg

Agreed on all accounts. Must have in the vault. It would have been cool to have Flessel's sig on the top of the stool. Love the chemistry set. Nice copy (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Bunky Brian said:

Billy Wright Pedigree. The cover is a classic in most anyone's book. Creig Flessel is the artist, Fu Manchu the character. Unrestored copies of this issue are tough to come by. Batman was nine months away and Superman had been in just three comics when this issue hit the stands.       One of my all time favorites,

DET_18_75.jpg

Sweet copy of a tough comic, Brian (only 20 unrestored in the census).  (thumbsu

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Beer!