• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 1-26 thread ... share & discuss
2 2

218 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:

Off white pages. Leo O'Mealia and Creig Flessel arguably gave DC the two most distinctive cover artists in comics during the days just before and just after Action Comics #1 hit the stands in 1938. O'Mealia provided the cover here, and also contributed interior art, as did Fred Guardineer and Joe Shuster. The issue has the first appearance of the Crimson Avenger. Like several of the early issues of the title that would introduce Batman a few issues later, #20 is rated "scarce" by Gerber.      I think the 2nd highest graded copy, and could be available if anyone is looking for a super stunner! :x

peter_tec_20.jpg

This is a tough book in grade and this one isn't even a pedigree! :whatthe: Super copy sir!!!

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:52 PM, Bunky Brian said:

(worship) to the King of high grade TEC's 

See you at Berkley @Bunky Brian I need Action 2 and 7 still for my own collection if you have bring to Berkley. I will buy early stuff for my people if there is meat on the bone and you want to sell I see you there (thumbsu

10 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

My last pre Robin TEC, before the big boy shows up, but that's another thread for another day;

Talk about important! This is just the second superhero cover in the history of comics! It's tied for that honor with Action #7, with of course only Action #1 coming earlier. Before Batman came along, this title had the Crimson Avenger, and this is his only cover appearance of the series. Jim Chambers is the cover artist for the book. Bob Kane, Joe Shuster, and Fred Guardineer art.

peter_tec_22.jpg

What a phenomenal comic! Never had that one, always wanted it.

Isn't this the first costumed hero cover in the history of American comics?

beef7.png

13 hours ago, circumstances said:
13 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:

My last pre Robin TEC, before the big boy shows up, but that's another thread for another day;

Talk about important! This is just the second superhero cover in the history of comics! It's tied for that honor with Action #7, with of course only Action #1 coming earlier. Before Batman came along, this title had the Crimson Avenger, and this is his only cover appearance of the series. Jim Chambers is the cover artist for the book. Bob Kane, Joe Shuster, and Fred Guardineer art.

peter_tec_22.jpg

What a phenomenal comic! Never had that one, always wanted it.

Isn't this the first costumed hero cover in the history of American comics?

beef7.png

Yes, Funny Picture Stories #1 qualifies as the first masked hero cover.

I also love Tec 22.  I spent many years looking for a nice copy.

I always thought an interesting focus would be to collect the issues where Slam Bradley was the lead story between Detectives 1-26. I think there were only 3 or 4 occasions of such with the rest of his tales relegated to the back of the books. Anyone know why Shuster didn't draw Slam in Detective 3?     

Detective 3 no shuster slam.jpg

In February 2015, there was this Ebay auction that had all but 10 issues of the 1-26 run. All the listings ended on Feb 17. I wound up grabbing the 7. Amazing I got anything at all because the listings ended minutes from each other and the bidding was furious. It was so memorable I kept this recap  

DETECTIVE COMICS FOR SALE feb 2015a.JPG

DETECTIVE COMICS FOR SALE feb 2015b.JPG

detective 7 cgc brightened.jpg

2 hours ago, Ameri said:

In February 2015, there was this Ebay auction that had all but 10 issues of the 1-26 run. All the listings ended on Feb 17. I wound up grabbing the 7. Amazing I got anything at all because the listings ended minutes from each other and the bidding was furious. It was so memorable I kept this recap

That was a wild auction.  I was lucky to win two that day.  Looking back at the prices, I wish I would've gone bigger on a few more.  Nice work saving a summary.  

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG