• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Savvy Boardie Investor
3 3

202 posts in this topic

Question for the savvy investor: What is the staying power of Marvel Superheroes 13 and Ms. Marvel 1?

Captain Marvel movie has been out for almost 2 weeks now and I just don’t get the sense that people should be holding on to these for investment purposes. Unlike Black Panther, which is beloved by not only the Afro community but also the general public. 

Im not trying to be political or SJW here. I love super hero movies (both DC and Marvel) but this is just my observation. 

Thanks!

The prices will stay high until folks decide to dump them.

Ms. Marvel was a trash series, so I expect that to fall harder.

They are both way over-priced, at present.

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The prices will stay high until folks decide to dump them.

Ms. Marvel was a trash series, so I expect that to fall harder.

They are both way over-priced, at present.

I've decided to dump mine.

I'm not quite so critical.... Let's discuss though.

Marvel Super-Heroes 13 is the first appearance of Carol Danvers. NOT of Ms Marvel, not of Captain Marvel.  Historically, the first appearance of a supporting character that later on goes on to be a popular super hero or super villain has NOT been the most expensive book. The most expensive book is normally their first appearance as a costumed character.  Something that Marvel Super-Heroes has going for it is that it was published in 1968. When comic book collecting was in it's infancy.  The first Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide was not published until 1970. Also, the book cost 25 cents when the regular price of comics was 12 cents. PROBABLY did not sell a huge number of copies. 

Ms Marvel 1 is the first appearance of Carol Danvers as the costumed super hero Ms Marvel.  1977.  Comic fandom is now young, but established. Collectors ROUTINELY bought extra copies of Marvel and to a lesser degree DC first issues.  But this book was a bit off putting to collectors at the time with it's feminist underpinnings. It's clear looking around that a book like Black Panther 1 - a Kirby book to boot - probably sold much better.  So as first issue from 1977, this might not have generated a huge number as far as sales. 

Now as to the future. It's pretty clear Marvel/Disney intends to make Captain Marvel a big deal going forward. Whatever the next set of movies is going forward, this version of Captain Marvel is going to be a part of. 

Personally, I see nothing wrong with holding onto either or both of these books. The Carol Danvers version of Captain Marvel is going to be prominent and important in future Marvel movies -  including at least one sequel of her own. However, the quick and easy money has already been made.  If you bought these cheap years ago and want to take a profit, now is probably a reasonable time.  But I DO NOT see prices going down. They will hold steady, most likely have modest increases going forward. 

I see other Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel books with more upside.  Captain Marvel 18 - where Carol Danvers obtains super powers - still appears over looked.  And while I very, very much prefer "vintage" books as investments over moderns, I am pretty certain that Captain Marvel #1 from 2012 is way cheap.  Carol Danvers made her debut as "Captain Marvel" in Avenging Spider-Man #9. That books sells for good money. But seriously. It came out just ONE WEEK before Captain Marvel #1.  And there really isn't much to the story.  Captain Marvel #1 is the beginning of Carol assuming the mantel of Captain Marvel. And it's cheap. Really, really cheap.  The number of copies is similar. According to Comichron (they get their numbers from Diamond) Avenging Spider-Man 9 sold 39,000 copies, Captain Marvel #1 46,900.  Both of these numbers are way, way less than the likely sales of MSH 13 or Ms. Marvel 1 (1977) 

So if one is looking to make money buying the current, in the movies Captain Marvel books, these new books seem to have potential. With the #1 of Captain Marvel the most potential, as it is very inexpensive at this time. 

Edited by Tony S

11 minutes ago, Tony S said:

I'm not quite so critical.... Let's discuss though.

Marvel Super-Heroes 13 is the first appearance of Carol Danvers. NOT of Ms Marvel, not of Captain Marvel.  Historically, the first appearance of a supporting character that later on goes on to be a popular super hero or super villain has NOT been the most expensive book. The most expensive book is normally their first appearance as a costumed character.  Something that Marvel Super-Heroes has going for it is that it was published in 1968. When comic book collecting was in it's infancy.  The first Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide was not published until 1970. Also, the book cost 25 cents when the regular price of comics was 12 cents. PROBABLY did not sell a huge number of copies. 

Ms Marvel 1 is the first appearance of Carol Danvers as the costumed super hero Ms Marvel.  1977.  Comic fandom is now young, but established. Collectors ROUTINELY bought extra copies of Marvel and to a lesser degree DC first issues.  But this book was a bit off putting to collectors at the time with it's feminist underpinnings. It's clear looking around that a book like Black Panther 1 - a Kirby book to boot - probably sold much better.  So as first issue from 1977, this might not have generated a huge number as far as sales. 

Now as to the future. It's pretty clear Marvel/Disney intends to make Captain Marvel a big deal going forward. Whatever the next set of movies is going forward, this version of Captain Marvel is going to be a part of. 

Personally, I see nothing wrong with holding onto either or both of these books. The Carol Danvers version of Captain Marvel is going to be prominent and important in future Marvel movies -  including at least one sequel of her own. However, the quick and easy money has already been made.  If you bought these cheap years ago and want to take a profit, now is probably a reasonable time.  But I DO NOT see prices going down. They will hold steady, most likely have modest increases going forward. 

I see other Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel books with more upside.  Captain Marvel 18 - where Carol Danvers obtains super powers - still appears over looked.  And while I very, very much prefer "vintage" books as investments over moderns, I am pretty certain that Captain Marvel #1 from 2012 is way cheap.  Carol Danvers made her debut as "Captain Marvel" in Avenging Spider-Man #9. That books sells for good money. But seriously. It came out just ONE WEEK before Captain Marvel #1.  And there really isn't much to the story.  Captain Marvel #1 is the beginning of Carol assuming the mantel of Captain Marvel. And it's cheap. Really, really cheap.  The number of copies is similar. According to Comichron (they get their numbers from Diamond) Avenging Spider-Man 9 sold 39,000 copies, Captain Marvel #1 46,900.  Both of these numbers are way, way less than the likely sales of MSH 13 or Ms. Marvel 1 (1977) 

So if one is looking to make money buying the current, in the movies Captain Marvel books, these new books seem to have potential. With the #1 of Captain Marvel the most potential, as it is very inexpensive at this time. 

Interesting, I hear people (mostly dealers in my area) also say that Cap Marvel will be the face of the MCU moving forward. To be honest, I can’t see that - but what do I know?! Did Feige said something to that effect? 

I agree with your assessment that the Kelly Sue Deconick run from 2012 is undervalued - great read too! Unfortunately, it is a tough spec because CGC’s label points to Avenging SM as the money book. The reality is, a lot of people don’t read their comics anymore!

I kept my mid grade copy of Ms Marvel 1 but sold my 6.5 raw MSH13. I found it irresponsible of me not to cash out during the hype. Now that the hype has calmed down, prices appeared to have plateaud as well - and all the rabid buyers (mostly speculators) have moved on to the next book to spec on.

I’m just hoping that people who bought MSH13 and MM1 in the last 30days and paid FMV have the intention on keeping their copies - eBay is flooded with copies right now.  

If Captain Marblehead is going to be the new main Iron Man level character of the MCU then DC merely has to do Green Lantern 2 and they will sweep to the top of the comic movie industry!!!

2 minutes ago, kav said:

If Captain Marblehead is going to be the new main Iron Man level character of the MCU then DC merely has to do Green Lantern 2 and they will sweep to the top of the comic movie industry!!!

Seriously though, who do think will be the face of the MCU post RDJ? My gut tells me it is Doctor Strange. Benedict Cumberbach is money - great actor and been with the MCU long enough help transition casual movie goers between Phase 3 and 4.

For the record, Brie Larson is an amazing actor! Her strong portrayal of Carol Danvers is bang on! 

2 minutes ago, cosmic_surfer said:

Seriously though, who do think will be the face of the MCU post RDJ? My gut tells me it is Doctor Strange. Benedict Cumberbach is money - great actor and been with the MCU long enough help transition casual movie goers between Phase 3 and 4.

For the record, Brie Larson is an amazing actor! Her strong portrayal of Carol Danvers is bang on! 

Yes Dr Strange has the alpha male leadership quality to replace Tony Stark.  Not a fan of the "Strong female character" since it's been overdone so much it's become sheer cliche and thus-to me anyway-boring.   Wonder Woman was strong but had the feminine side that made her more realistic and interesting.  Hollywood still thinks the "Kick-*spoon* Chick" is a fresh new idea.  Havent seen it but pretty sure I will hate captain marvel.  I imagine she's uber serious and puts men 'in their place' throughout the film.

Online reviews seem to indicate she's another Mary Sue character with no weaknesses and excels at everything she does, even if it's the first time she ever did it.  I hate Mary Sue characters, man.

6 minutes ago, cosmic_surfer said:

Spoiler Alert!! :devil:

She has person_without_enough_empathy face too, right?

1 minute ago, oldrover said:

o.O

I bought a bunch of Marvel comics back 20 years ago, thinking I would hold them for appreciation. Hulk 1, AF15, JIM83, X-Men 1... yadda yadda yadda...

That has worked out quite well.

So...

giphy.gif

:)

There are, for lack of a better term, outliers?

In playing cards - Lotrek decks will always have value. In comics - AF15, FF1, etc will always have value.

I wouldn't advise getting into comics to "invest", though. It just so happens that certain books will (almost certainly) always be super valuable.

One day they might not be worth Jack. It's possible. Hobbies as "investments" isn't usually a good idea.

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

In playing cards - Lotrek decks will always have value. In comics - AF15, FF1, etc will always have value.

I wouldn't advise getting into comics to "invest", though. It just so happens that certain books will (almost certainly) always be super valuable.

One day they might not be worth Jack. It's possible. Hobbies as "investments" isn't usually a good idea. 

One day any investment might not be worth jack. Own any stock in Kodak or Xerox? :) 

I'm guessing Picassos and Rembrandts have appreciated nicely.

Really, that's what I am... an art investor. Well... art... with a bit of an attitude. ;)

tenor.gif

49 minutes ago, oldrover said:

o.O

I bought a bunch of Marvel comics back 20 years ago, thinking I would hold them for appreciation. Hulk 1, AF15, JIM83, X-Men 1... yadda yadda yadda...

That has worked out quite well.

So...

giphy.gif

:)

:signfunny:Hasn't been anywhere near 20 years that I've owned those books but I plan on holding onto my copies for the next 20...unless I can upgrade them

Edited by c_mkv

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

One day any investment might not be worth jack. Own any stock in Kodak or Xerox? :) 

I'm guessing Picassos and Rembrandts have appreciated nicely.

Really, that's what I am... an art investor. Well... art... with a bit of an attitude. ;)

tenor.gif

But you are comparing original art to mass produced copies.

I mean, the peak is past for both of them. I saw a lot of copies of both those books in the last half dozen shows I've set up at, and they haven't sold. I mean, look at MSH #18 -- two very successful movies and a third on the way, and yet that book is forgotten. 

But if you've had these books for a while, I don't think selling them now is a good idea. She looks to be a big part of the MCU for a while, and that will keep them at a high value -- though not at the peak of late last year.

I sold my Ms Marvel 1 last Sunday in an ebay auction. Most people never cared about the character to begin with. I only thought she was somewhat interesting, because Rogue permanently absorbed all of her powers. Meh.