• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Savvy Boardie Investor
3 3

202 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I would place being disrespectful to the Kree males in the category of "female putting men in their place" which we've seen in about a billion movies.  It's ok to be grumpy about cliche ridden films when there are many alternatives.

I didn't see that in the movie. Did you see the movie?

I expected them to be laying the misogeny angle on way too thick and then did not wind up seeing it in the movie. That's why the "you're just a girl" flashbacks actually didn't make sense to me. It wasn't part of the plot. Frankly, I think they tried to make the movie sound like this was an issue to get mothers to take their daughters to the movie....and there were a lot of mothers and daughters in my theatre, so it worked I guess. The Kree looked down on her because she is human, not because she is female, and frankly, that didn't even become an issue until she rebelled.

Edited by the blob

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I suspect that in another 10 or 20 years these will be "hot" due to their GGA on the covers. Some of these covers have all the, ahem, "elements" that collectors of GGA look for.

2105042.jpg

You mean boobs, right? You're talking about boobs? Hanging out of shredded clothing?

That's what you're referring to, right...?

:whistle:

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Rey is a Mary Sue, because she's great at everything with no testing or training. Most comic book movies, nowadays at least, give us understanding to how their "powers" work.

are you saying Star Wars hasnt explained the force?

50 minutes ago, the blob said:

I didn't see that in the movie. Did you see the movie?

I didnt see anything in the movie as I said I havent seen the movie but am just shooting pure guesses based on how movies are often done.

Here's my guesses based on how movies are usually done:
Puts men in their place

Uber serious except when mocking others (men)

Mary Sue - good at stuff she's never done before and right when everyone thinks she's wrong-rises to the top of everything immediately (hell Marvel is even making her the new cornerstone of their films)

"Strong female character"-no vulnerabilities  ("Kick-*spoon* chick) - even before she gets powers

Two dimensional

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You mean boobs, right? You're talking about boobs? Hanging out of shredded clothing?

That's what you're referring to, right...?

:whistle:

Boobs? Are those the things that the big rectangular thing with the spherical knob was pointing at? hm

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Boobs? Are those the things that the big rectangular thing with the spherical knob was pointing at? hm

It's actually pointing at the person to the right of Ms. Marvel, off-camera, that we can't see....but, hey, otherwise Dave did a good job.

:whee:

I only wish I was technologically savvy enough to 3-D model that, with cool photoshop skills to demonstrate it, but I'm not, so I can't. :sorry:

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's actually pointing at the person to the right of Ms. Marvel, off-camera, that we can't see....but, hey, otherwise Dave did a good job.

:whee:

I only wish I was technologically savvy enough to 3-D model that, with cool photoshop skills to demonstrate it, but I'm not, so I can't. :sorry:

Well, if it was pointing right at her it would not be "feminist".

3 hours ago, kav said:

Here's my guesses based on how movies are usually done:
Puts men in their place

Uber serious except when mocking others (men)

Mary Sue - good at stuff she's never done before and right when everyone thinks she's wrong-rises to the top of everything immediately (hell Marvel is even making her the new cornerstone of their films)

"Strong female character"-no vulnerabilities  ("Kick-*spoon* chick) - even before she gets powers

Two dimensional

You are wrong about almost all of it. Maybe you should see a movie before attacking it. It was a fun movie. There were flaws. I liked it more than 2 of 3 thor movies and every iron man movie. But you seem to have talked to James woods or rush Limbaugh or whatever to make your decision.

Edited by the blob

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

You are wrong about almost all of it. Maybe you should see a movie before attacking it. It was a fun movie. There were flaws. I liked it more than 2 of 3 thor movies and every iron man movie. But you seems to have talked to James woods or whatever to make your decision.

Well I've been reading some reviews and I doubt I'm "wrong about almost all of it" based on people complaining about those very things but hopefully I am.

Ps people also said Black Panther was a 'fun movie' and I found it vomit inducing.

Edited by kav

5 hours ago, the blob said:

I expected them to be laying the misogeny angle on way too thick and then did not wind up seeing it in the movie. That's why the "you're just a girl" flashbacks actually didn't make sense to me. It wasn't part of the plot. Frankly, I think they tried to make the movie sound like this was an issue to get mothers to take their daughters to the movie....and there were a lot of mothers and daughters in my theatre, so it worked I guess. The Kree looked down on her because she is human, not because she is female, and frankly, that didn't even become an issue until she rebelled.

Spoilers ahead, for those who care.  I took the flashback scenes to show how humans can be resilient, since the scenes show: a go-kart crash, falling off the rope, the male pilot misogyny angle, and plane crash on the beach. 

Spoiler

Each time she was able to stand back up in the face of those obstacles and overcome defeat.  This human resiliency, combined with her tesseract power and Kree training allow her to "awaken" and realize her full butt-kicking potential.

You may laugh at me, but it reminds me of this scene from Rocky Balboa, which I love:

I saw CM with my younger daughters, and thought it was great.  Will probably see it again.  But I've actually never read any of the comic iterations or really knew much on CM history either.

Edited by Cozmo-One
added spoiler tags

1 hour ago, Cozmo-One said:

Spoilers ahead, for those who care.  I took the flashback scenes to show how humans can be resilient, since the scenes show: a go-kart crash, falling off the rope, the male pilot misogyny angle, and plane crash on the beach. 

Reveal hidden contents

Each time she was able to stand back up in the face of those obstacles and overcome defeat.  This human resiliency, combined with her tesseract power and Kree training allow her to "awaken" and realize her full butt-kicking potential.

You may laugh at me, but it reminds me of this scene from Rocky Balboa, which I love:

I saw CM with my younger daughters, and thought it was great.  Will probably see it again.  But I've actually never read any of the comic iterations or really knew much on CM history either.

Maybe it was about human resiliency. I dunno. It almost felt like there were scenes in the movie showing sexism outside the flashbacks that may have paralleled them, but then they edited them out. Kree society did not appear misogynist, for example. Ronan is probably a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, sure, but an equal opportunity one. Rogg seemed to genuinely want to mentor.

If this movie can gross a billion with all these angry geezers then that says something. I think. Maybe. Like I said, lots of mothers with daughters in the theatre. While Larsen is pretty, I think they did a good job of making her non sexualized. Heck, I was half expecting her to have been Rambieu's GF, was relieved they were just besties (cuz the geezers would really be in an uproar)

13 hours ago, miraclemet said:

are you saying Star Wars hasnt explained the force?

What I'm saying is that Star Wars didn't give us a reason to expect that Rey can be as powerful as she is. Historically, you needed to have genetic force sensitivity or extensive training to be able to harness the force. She has neither. It's a classic Mary Sue.

13 hours ago, the blob said:

You are wrong about almost all of it. Maybe you should see a movie before attacking it. It was a fun movie. There were flaws. I liked it more than 2 of 3 thor movies and every iron man movie. But you seem to have talked to James woods or rush Limbaugh or whatever to make your decision.

You sure it wasn't Chuck Schumer?

I don't know why you clowns always have to drag politics into this stuff, but there you go.

Just now, lizards2 said:

I don't know why you clowns always have to drag politics into this stuff, but there you go.

James woods was vocal. Dunno about Limbaugh. Fyi, neither are politicians. 

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

What I'm saying is that Star Wars didn't give us a reason to expect that Rey can be as powerful as she is. Historically, you needed to have genetic force sensitivity or extensive training to be able to harness the force. She has neither. It's a classic Mary Sue.

We have no idea what her background is? For all we know she is the love child of a sith Lord and a Jedi master.

1 minute ago, the blob said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

James woods was vocal. Dunno about Limbaugh. Fyi, neither are politicians. 

You're deluded if you think we don't get where you're going.

Just now, the blob said:

We have no idea what her background is? For all we know she is the love child of a sith Lord and a Jedi master.

Not according to the genius Rian Johnson.

Luckily JJ is back at the helm to try and fix this mess. I'm still baffled that we haven't received a teaser trailer yet.

She's a Mary Sue until proven otherwise. Even so - not expanding on her true heritage (if changed) in the sequel - it was one of those worthless and meaningless "expectation subversion" tactics that makes TLJ even worse.