• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Savvy Boardie Investor
3 3

202 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You're deluded if you think we don't get where you're going.

The criticism of the movie is mostly political and seems to be based more on a perception of the movie (not the actual movie) and whatever some of the stars said to the press. Frankly, a lot of it smells like "women should know their place" and frankly, I'm not all that liberal. Here in liberal land nyc I am routinely accused of being a conservative and/or an un-woke old white guy (I am old and white and am pretty sleepy)

Edited by the blob

12 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Not according to the genius Rian Johnson.

Luckily JJ is back at the helm to try and fix this mess. I'm still baffled that we haven't received a teaser trailer yet.

She's a Mary Sue until proven otherwise. Even so - not expanding on her true heritage (if changed) in the sequel - it was one of those worthless and meaningless "expectation subversion" tactics that makes TLJ even worse.

Did kylo ren's attempt to probe her brain using the force maybe "awaken" something in her? That was the impression I had, but haven't seen the movie in a while.

19 minutes ago, the blob said:

Did kylo ren's attempt to probe her brain using the force maybe "awaken" something in her? That was the impression I had, but haven't seen the movie in a while.

I didn't get that impression.

She was a Mary Sue before that, though. i.e. Piloting the Millennium Falcon. She even admits afterwards that she had no idea she could do it lol.

I would suspect that the lightsaber 'vision' woke something up before Kylo Ren did.

TFA was a lot of fun, though. It was an homage to A New Hope, gave up glimpses at our old heroes, and gave us new heroes. TLJ was the opportunity to have the new heroes take over, and all of the "subversion" was just a bad joke. I think that most of us were hoping for character development and we just didn't get any. We needed substance and not more of the same. Her Mary Sue-ness could've ended and given us a reason to understand Rey's power.

This is an awfully long off-topic response. Sorry.

I hated TLJ, but not for the Rey/Luke parts. As for her being able to pilot... Her training seems to have been the same as Luke's and he was suddenly the best rebel pilot without having flown an x-wing ever. I guess he is a Marty sue.

25 minutes ago, the blob said:

I hated TLJ, but not for the Rey/Luke parts. As for her being able to pilot... Her training seems to have been the same as Luke's and he was suddenly the best rebel pilot without having flown an x-wing ever. I guess he is a Marty sue.

"You just started a war."

Is Superman a Mary Sue? Or Neo from The Matrix? I mean, it’s conpletely fine to criticize overdone tropes, especially the good guy who is good at everything, but coming from people still reading Batman VS Joker it seems dishonest. In all the Avengers movies, has any of them ever gotten a black eye or bloody nose or broken arm or a bump or scrape of any kind?

5 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Is Superman a Mary Sue? Or Neo from The Matrix? I mean, it’s conpletely fine to criticize overdone tropes, especially the good guy who is good at everything, but coming from people still reading Batman VS Joker it seems dishonest. In all the Avengers movies, has any of them ever gotten a black eye or bloody nose or broken arm or a bump or scrape of any kind?

Thor had his eye gouged out and has been pretty badly beaten.

8 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Tony Stark almost died multiple (3+) times.

Hulk's cheek was fked up after that Mjolnir punch.

Cap and Tony beat the out of each other.

Rhodey is handicapped.

Black Widow has been shot.

Cap got his ___ beat by The Winter Soldier.

There's a lot more...

19 minutes ago, D84 said:

Does every movie have to be a f:censored:g cause or political movement?

I miss when we could like or dislike a movie based on the story alone.

But this really wasn't. The "just a girl" stuff was really just background noise. It may have been marketed as such to expand the audience, but the movie was a typical action movie with a little bit of Samuel L. Jackson/Skrull dude comedy (I enjoyed both these parts)

19 minutes ago, the blob said:

But this really wasn't. The "just a girl" stuff was really just background noise. It may have been marketed as such to expand the audience, but the movie was a typical action movie with a little bit of Samuel L. Jackson/Skrull dude comedy (I enjoyed both these parts)

I was referring to the marketing.

The studios don't care about social issues.  They just saw a marketing ploy to create buzz about their product for sale.

Edited by D84

3 minutes ago, D84 said:

I was referring to the marketing.

The studios don't care about social issues.  They just saw a marketing ploy to create buzz about their product for sale.

Like I said, while maybe purely anecdotal, my theatre had a lot of women with their daughters. True, I think some of them were Marvel movie regulars because they stayed all the way to the post credit scene (which we were all a little disappointed with)

50 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Tony Stark almost died multiple (3+) times.

Hulk's cheek was fked up after that Mjolnir punch.

Cap and Tony beat the out of each other.

Rhodey is handicapped.

Black Widow has been shot.

Cap got his ___ beat by The Winter Soldier.

There's a lot more...

So-and-so beat up so-and-so but there was no physical damage to either party. 

59 minutes ago, D84 said:

Does every movie have to be a f:censored:g cause or political movement?

I miss when we could like or dislike a movie based on the story alone.

Saying “I don’t like movies where women put men in their place” isn’t disliking a movie because of the story

Went to see Captain Marvel with my wife and 11 year old niece this weekend. They loved it. I thought it was fine. Then again, I think most Marvel movies are "fine". They're colorful, loud, funny distractions, but most of them aren't exactly what I'd call great films. And that, of course, is "fine". So, by that measurement, I thought Captain Marvel was pretty fun, on par with the Ant-Man flicks, which are becoming, over time, my favorite Marvel movies, because they're airy and fast and fun and aren't totally bogged down in continuity and solemnity. CM has plenty of connections to the overall Marvel U (tons of them, actually) but is enjoyable as its own self-contained thing, which, to me, is great. It feels a little slight, but on the other hand, I don't know why popcorn flicks now have to be 3 hours long these days, so I didn't really mind the fact that CM moved along pretty swiftly.

I did enjoy the novelty of a female lead with zero love interests or romantic storylines. She was just a tough and talented pilot who turned into a tough and talented hero. It was refreshing. The movie is not politicized, it is not heavy handed. It's just a zippy little superhero story. It's amazing to me what people will get all bent out of shape about. 

Afterwards, we took the niece to the LCS so she could spend the gift certificate I got her for her birthday. I wondered if she'd be looking for Captain Marvel books, but she ended up buying a bunch of Garfield stuff, a Wonder Woman button, a Black Panther button, and a mood ring. So, yeah, maybe not best to stake our financial futures on back issues of Ms Marvel. I think a lot of folks like the movie, including little girls who are super excited about it, but I'm not sure that it's going to result in long-term results in back issue sales.

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

So-and-so beat up so-and-so but there was no physical damage to either party. 

I take it you don't watch the movies...

Cap was shot and ___-whooped by The Winter Soldier multiple times.

Tony Stark got a black even and a broken(?) arm in Civil War (on top of almost dying 3+ times).

Banner had a bruised cheek and lost a tooth in the first 2 Avengers movies...

As mentioned, Romanoff was shot by The Winter Soldier.

There have been physical repercussions.

Quicksilver died.

Did you watch Infinity War?

Never mind. Idc.

5 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Saying “I don’t like movies where women put men in their place” isn’t disliking a movie because of the story

I never said "I don't like movies where women put men in their place," so why are you quoting me?(shrug)

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Went to see Captain Marvel with my wife and 11 year old niece this weekend. They loved it. I thought it was fine. Then again, I think most Marvel movies are "fine". They're colorful, loud, funny distractions, but most of them aren't exactly what I'd call great films. And that, of course, is "fine". So, by that measurement, I thought Captain Marvel was pretty fun, on par with the Ant-Man flicks, which are becoming, over time, my favorite Marvel movies, because they're airy and fast and fun and aren't totally bogged down in continuity and solemnity. CM has plenty of connections to the overall Marvel U (tons of them, actually) but is enjoyable as its own self-contained thing, which, to me, is great. It feels a little slight, but on the other hand, I don't know why popcorn flicks now have to be 3 hours long these days, so I didn't really mind the fact that CM moved along pretty swiftly.

I did enjoy the novelty of a female lead with zero love interests or romantic storylines. She was just a tough and talented pilot who turned into a tough and talented hero. It was refreshing. The movie is not politicized, it is not heavy handed. It's just a zippy little superhero story. It's amazing to me what people will get all bent out of shape about. 

Afterwards, we took the niece to the LCS so she could spend the gift certificate I got her for her birthday. I wondered if she'd be looking for Captain Marvel books, but she ended up buying a bunch of Garfield stuff, a Wonder Woman button, a Black Panther button, and a mood ring. So, yeah, maybe not best to stake our financial futures on back issues of Ms Marvel. I think a lot of folks like the movie, including little girls who are super excited about it, but I'm not sure that it's going to result in long-term results in back issue sales.

I enjoy your post, but the bolded is very wrong. I didn't let the political undertone(s) affect my opinion on the film, but they definitely are there. If you didn't notice them, good.

Garfield and Calvin & Hobbes were my first "comic" loves as a kid.