• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: Savvy Boardie Investor
3 3

202 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

What I'm saying is that Star Wars didn't give us a reason to expect that Rey can be as powerful as she is. Historically, you needed to have genetic force sensitivity or extensive training to be able to harness the force. She has neither. It's a classic Mary Sue.

You mean a classic Anakin? 

7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I enjoy your post, but the bolded is very wrong. I didn't let the political undertone(s) affect my opinion on the film, but they definitely are there. If you didn't notice them, good.

Garfield and Calvin & Hobbes were my first "comic" loves as a kid.

I definitely didn't notice anything, but then again, I wasn't looking for anything. I think the film was made in a way (even in light of the participation of the US Air Force) that could be interpreted as either pro or anti military, depending on the viewer. I haven't kept up with the comics in a long time, but historically I believe Carol was portrayed as being a fairly conservative character. I didn't see much evidence either way in the movie. But then again, I wasn't trying to. 

PS: and by "conservative", I am not only referring to the conservation of fabric in her halter/booty short era costume.

Edited by F For Fake

I’ve seen Avengers 1 against my will but I got tired of reboots the first time Batman was rebooted. I got tired of franchise movies the moment they were announced. I got tired of watching super powered heroes kick CGI butt without any sort of reprocussion when I decided watching Iron Man 2 wasn’t worth seeing RDJ on screen. In fact I was pretty much done with CGI in general when I was dragged to see Avatar

I dint like sequels, remakes, reboots, film adaptation of nostalgic kid stuff, and I feel that’s every bit as valid as not liking female leads 

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

Anakin didn't use the force prior to his training, correct?

I don't recall him using the force in The Phantom Menace.

He probably is a Gary Sue, though. No wonder everyone hates that .

Wasn’t he already super humanly good at pod racing?

15 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

Spoilers ahead, for those who care.  I took the flashback scenes to show how humans can be resilient, since the scenes show: a go-kart crash, falling off the rope, the male pilot misogyny angle, and plane crash on the beach. 

Reveal hidden contents

Each time she was able to stand back up in the face of those obstacles and overcome defeat.  This human resiliency, combined with her tesseract power and Kree training allow her to "awaken" and realize her full butt-kicking potential.

You may laugh at me, but it reminds me of this scene from Rocky Balboa, which I love:

I saw CM with my younger daughters, and thought it was great.  Will probably see it again.  But I've actually never read any of the comic iterations or really knew much on CM history either.

Very well written scene.  He really told that kid what he needed to hear.  Rocky movies, with the exception of one or 2 are incredibly well written films-the dialogue is top notch old school.  None of that clever wisecracking Hollywood is so fond of.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Anakin didn't use the force prior to his training, correct?

I don't recall him using the force in The Phantom Menace.

He probably is a Gary Sue, though. No wonder everyone hates that .

it was explained in Phantom Menace that the reason Anakin was able to participate in pod races (unlike any other human) was due to his natural, untrained, unearned force abilities/sensitivities. 

ANAKIN: (Cont'd) Mom, what? I'm not bragging. It's true. Watto says he's never heard of a human doing it.
QUI-GON: You must have Jedi reflexes if you race Pods.

QUI-GON: You should be proud of your son. He gives without any thought of reward.
SHMI: He knows nothing of greed. He has...
QUI-GON: He has special powers.
SHMI: Yes...
QUI-GON: He can see things before they happen. That's why he appears to have such quick reflexes. It is a Jedi trait.

this is all prior to him getting any training. 

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Frankly, a lot of it smells like "women should know their place" and frankly, I'm not all that liberal. Here in liberal land nyc I am routinely accused of being a conservative and/or an un-woke old white guy (I am old and white and am pretty sleepy)

My criticism is more screenwriters should know their craft.  The cliche kick-*spoon* chick putting men in their place is tired and overdone and makes two dimensional female characters.  Women deserve better writing than that.

21 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

You didnt like Ripley in Alien/Aliens? 

I’m not the one who has a problem with female leads. Someone says “I didn’t watch the movie because I don’t like strong women” and that’s okay, I say I didnt watch it because I don’t like sequels and the same people argue my opinion is less valid 

15 minutes ago, kav said:

My criticism is more screenwriters should know their craft.  The cliche kick-*spoon* chick putting men in their place is tired and overdone and makes two dimensional female characters.  Women deserve better writing than that.

As someone who actually watched this particular movie, that is not what this movie was about. Not remotely.

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I’m not the one who has a problem with female leads. Someone says “I didn’t watch the movie because I don’t like strong women” and that’s okay, I say I didnt watch it because I don’t like sequels and the same people argue my opinion is less valid 

ah misunderstood your point. carry on with your dislike!

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

As someone who actually watched this particular movie, that is not what this movie was about. Not remotely.

I heard you the first time.  I'm just addressing comments as they come.  

So you're saying she didnt kick *spoon* or snap insults at men in the movie.

29 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

You didnt like Ripley in Alien/Aliens? 

Isn't that amazing? 40 years ago, a female lead carried an entire film, and it became not just a classic of the genre, but an oft-cited example of the finest in all of cinema.

I wonder...did anyone express, in a manner which would have survived (print, etc.) any issues with having a female lead...?

hm

Did anyone even notice...?

"But Ripley was part of the ensemble cast in Alien!"

Ok, fair enough. 7 years later, however, the same cannot be said for Aliens, of which Ripley was clearly the star.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

5 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Not what I said.  Wonder Woman was a strong female lead.  However, she wasnt written in a cliche fashion and also had a vulnerable side.  She was well written.  I dont like strong, badly written women.  Or men.

Other well written strong women leads I liked-Columbiana, Haywire, Hanna-the list goes on and on.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

I heard you the first time.  I'm just addressing comments as they come.  

So you're saying she didnt kick *spoon* or snap insults at men in the movie.

She's playing a super hero, why wouldn't she kick arse? One scene is her beating the krap out of a skrull impersonating an old lady. She had plenty of fight scenes with a female Kree warrior. The "kicking" wasn't particularly oriented toward men other than most of the adversaries being men. And no, in terms of insults, nothing memorable. She was wise cracking, that's about it, and the kree are somber folks, that's about it. Frankly, I think the Danvers/Rogg mentor/mentee relationship was nice (until they tried to kill eac hother). They were not able to erase all of her humanity via brainwashing.

Edited by the blob

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Isn't that amazing? 40 years ago, a female lead carried an entire film, and it became not just a classic of the genre, but an oft-cited example of the finest in all of cinema.

I wonder...did anyone express, in a manner which would have survived (print, etc.) any issues with having a female lead...?

hm

Did anyone even notice...?

"But Ripley was part of the ensemble cast in Alien!"

Ok, fair enough. 7 years later, however, the same cannot be said for Aliens, of which Ripley was clearly the star.

Folks accept Weaver as a bad arse. Maybe cuz she's 6 feet tall, I dunno.

Edited by the blob

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

I thought haywire was a pretty bad movie 

Whats the matter dont you like strong female leads???  :makepoint: