• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh NO Canada!!!!
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Ok, first of all I'm Canadian and some of my all time favorite comic dealers are in Canada.  That said, I found myself in Canada for about a month recently so decided, hey I'm going to buy some books from Canadian sellers of EBAY.  I've got access to a Canadian mailing address so why not, should be fun right? ...... Well I've seen a lot of stuff on EBAY, but over the course of 10-12 transactions I've now seen it all.  I left feeling really really sorry for my Canuck compatriots that have to buy from Canadian EBAY sellers.  All I can say is WOW. :tonofbricks:

The grading was pretty terrible, but its EBAY the originator of the NM really VF so I was expecting that.  But these were sellers who seem to actually sell comic books in some quantity and what really go me was the shipping.  I realize that Canada Post is a bit more expensive than USPS, but the costs were crazy, including the one guy who tried to charge me $16 to ship one book in Canada O.o

But the final straw was the packing, so I've bought your over graded, hidden defect not visible from the picture, comic book, paid you twice what it cost to ship it (actually some sellers charging US funds for shipping) I wonder if they paid Canada Post in US funds.  Only in 2 out of 12 occasions did I receive the 'sandwhiched between two pieces of cardboard' method of comic shipping, on half the books I didnt even get bags and boards.  I did link up with 2 pretty good sellers, but of the 12 transactions I'd have to say the standard was C- at best.

While im not saying that the US sellers are all on the up and up, but wow talk about the barren wasteland of selling comic practices in Canada.  Insert upside down Maple Leaf here :screwy:

Since you said you are in Canada for a month? Then you would have likely went to one of Canada Post mail offices to get the sense of what it cost to mail one comic book, or a few books. Now you know why it costs more. It’s a Crown thing In Canada Post. 

The best thing is to go to one of the comic book shows or cons in local areas or fly to another province for major shows. Buy as many books you can, to take your new “maple syrup” booty to home. Hey you get to greet your Canadian vendors in person and not one of these mailers. More fun that way. 

Unless you really know your Canadian vendors well, you can trust them for the best grades, packing and delivering. Not from someone you didn’t know.

I might be biased being Canadian but, yeah, Canada blows when it comes to anything government related (i.e. Canada Post). Just be glad, in addition to your comic addiction, you're not also a chronic biber like myself because being a boozer up here is expensive with a capital E.

We are already taxed up the gazoo, but when it comes to beer nearly half the price paid is provincial and federal tax. With wine it is closer to 70%. Hard stuff? 80%.

Now our government has introduced what they call an elevator tax, which means that every April 1st (not a joke) they automatically raise the tax on alcohol by 2%. Forever.

Being a drunk has never been so challenging and this new tax is seriously cutting into my comic fix.

I just pray the USA has been secretly massing its forces in Bellingham in anticipation of a pending invasion, liberating British Columbia (I guess you'll have to call us Columbia? Has that been taken?) from tyranny and welcoming us with open arms as the 51st state! Cheap booze and shipping and summer vacays in AK! :cloud9:

Oh yeah, the CRA and everyone who works there sucks too.

Image result for mike drop

3 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Now our government has introduced what they call an elevator tax, which means that every April 1st (not a joke) they automatically raise the tax on alcohol by 2%. Forever.

Being a drunk has never been so challenging and this new tax is seriously cutting into my comic fix.

W. T. F.

I understand that Canada Post past a certain weight, a weight less that USPS, hikes up shipping costs.  But for 1-2 books that cost is not really that prohibitive and whats with the Canadian sellers charging shipping in US funds :screwy:

I will say that yes, in person, at the Cons that sellers are a lot less :insane: than the US dealers so there's that.  Comic Cons in the US are a little bit on an embarrassment of riches though as there are not nearly as many in Canada. I did get some great Canadian maple syrup for a colleague of mine in the office who is from Vermont :devil:

7 minutes ago, jbud73 said:

How are you not a 100K posts yet? Slowing down in your old age :preach:

Quality over quantity... 

1 minute ago, greggy said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

15530229640005240936830383935513.jpg

I just exploded laughing in a meeting because of this.  Thanks !  I am being stared at... lol