• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh NO Canada!!!!
1 1

42 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

We are already taxed up the gazoo, but when it comes to beer nearly half the price paid is provincial and federal tax. With wine it is closer to 70%. Hard stuff? 80%.

Now our government has introduced what they call an elevator tax, which means that every April 1st (not a joke) they automatically raise the tax on alcohol by 2%. Forever.

Being a drunk has never been so challenging and this new tax is seriously cutting into my comic fix.

Read this. https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jordan-stjohn-/let-me-break-down-what-canadas-escalating-beer-tax-will-really-cost-you_a_23340121/

From the article: "Here's the other thing: All of the variation in excise tax between provinces? Completely irrelevant. Beer Canada came up with a number that doesn't matter. A "47 per cent beer tax" is not only not applicable in any specific provincial market, it doesn't matter at all. The excise tax being talked about is federal, and it is identical across every province and territory in Canada.

Essentially, what you need to know is that in order for this compounding increase to put the price of beer up a dollar a case, it will need to run until April 1, 2040. You're reading that right. People as yet unborn will be of drinking age before this costs you a dollar a case."

And as for the OP's post - what is the purpose of posting something so deliberately provocative? Some people cheat the system. That is independent of nationality. I for one, have never had a problem on eBay with another Canadian. Recently I have had several CDs go missing from sellers from China. Does that mean all Chinese sellers are trying to rip people off? No, of course not. You had a bad run. That's eBay, not Canada. And, as a fellow Canadian, I'm disappointed that you felt the need to make this thread to dump on us.

Edited by Kahnadah

10 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I'm not sure if I'm more impressed by the autographed Iron Sheik photo or the fact that it's March and you still have a Christmas card on your desk...

Some of the cards have been there for a few years.  

5 minutes ago, topofthetotem said:

Knuckle buster bandaids!

Must keep hitting his hand on the desk for some reason. hm

Don't mess with me bro

59 minutes ago, Kahnadah said:

Read this. https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/jordan-stjohn-/let-me-break-down-what-canadas-escalating-beer-tax-will-really-cost-you_a_23340121/

From the article: "Here's the other thing: All of the variation in excise tax between provinces? Completely irrelevant. Beer Canada came up with a number that doesn't matter. A "47 per cent beer tax" is not only not applicable in any specific provincial market, it doesn't matter at all. The excise tax being talked about is federal, and it is identical across every province and territory in Canada.

Essentially, what you need to know is that in order for this compounding increase to put the price of beer up a dollar a case, it will need to run until April 1, 2040. You're reading that right. People as yet unborn will be of drinking age before this costs you a dollar a case."

And as for the OP's post - what is the purpose of posting something so deliberately provocative? Some people cheat the system. That is independent of nationality. I for one, have never had a problem on eBay with another Canadian. Recently I have had several CDs go missing from sellers from China. Does that mean all Chinese sellers are trying to rip people off? No, of course not. You had a bad run. That's eBay, not Canada. And, as a fellow Canadian, I'm disappointed that you felt the need to make this thread to dump on us.

The 47% beer tax figure is a provincial average and includes Federal Excise Tax, Federal Sales Tax, Provincial Commodity Tax and Provincial Sales Tax. In BC, I am being taxed 72-1/2 cents on every beer I drink. I want less tax, not more. 

To the lumberyard!

Related image

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

W. T. F.

One of my sisters moved to the US ~15 years ago.  Couple of summer's back, we went to the beer store to get a case for the cottage.  She says "I'll buy it". 

We put the case on the counter, guy says "$36". 

My sister gasps, then laughs, and says "My God, I thought you said $36!"

Guy: "I did."

Me:  "welcome home..."

Every time we go to the US, I buy a case of beer and regardless of what State I'm in, the person says the price and I, by reflex say "...the land of the Free!"

I bought my first slab on eBay a few years ago, from Canada. Everything went swimmingly. I’ve bought a few other things from Canada since, and had the same success rate as US purchases. 

Sorry about your bad luck...

When I visit Ontario it feels a lot like home (Michigan,) except for the different money and metric road signs. You Canadians are alright by me, eh?

As a Canadian, the shipping costs are a bit frustrating....it is actually cheaper for me to ship a couple of comics from Ontario to California than it is to ship across our own country.  The experience I have had purchasing in Canada is the same as the US sellers.  Some know how to grade, some not so much.

That said...I still don't understand why some US sellers list "do not ship outside of the US" when we are obviously use to overspending on shipping costs.  If we are willing to pay for our shipping, then why not make the sale?  Also, I love the shipping is included in the US, cost outside of the US...why not give us the little savings you are giving the US buyers and knock off $5-$6 off our shipping?  Sigh...

On 3/19/2019 at 12:41 AM, jbud73 said:

I realize that Canada Post is a bit more expensive than USPS, but the costs were crazy, including the one guy who tried to charge me $16 to ship one book in Canada

I don't know what you're expectations are in terms of what it costs to ship, but I can assure you it hasn't been that much cheaper using USPS in the last few years especially.

Regardless, I just bought a SNES system from a seller in China. Yes, it's probably going to sit in a bin for a month over at Canada customs and arrive to me maybe two months from now, but it cost me $4. There is no way a package that size would be shipped either by USPS or CanadaPost for less than $20. And it's being sent registerred.

Whenever I buy something from China, I'm reminded of how pointless it is to complain about shipping rates domestically or even within N.A.

50 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I don't know what you're expectations are in terms of what it costs to ship, but I can assure you it hasn't been that much cheaper using USPS in the last few years especially.

Regardless, I just bought a SNES system from a seller in China. Yes, it's probably going to sit in a bin for a month over at Canada customs and arrive to me maybe two months from now, but it cost me $4. There is no way a package that size would be shipped either by USPS or CanadaPost for less than $20. And it's being sent registerred.

Whenever I buy something from China, I'm reminded of how pointless it is to complain about shipping rates domestically or even within N.A.

Don't support those knockoffs bro!

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Don't support those knockoffs bro!

I gave it more than just the old college try. I really did. I was after two games - Elevator Action and Ghosts N' Goblins. I was prepared to go through the rigmarole of buying an NES, the original games/carts, and every time I went down this road, I ran into issues. Even when I tried to overlook the tempermental aspects of using aging electronics, it just became too huge a hassle to stage a play area for these two games. I was even prepared to have a custom build made (countertop arcade) but the people who made it wouldn't ship to Canada. Ultimately, I realized the retro gaming market required a tremendous passion and patience which I really didn't have. So I gave in and bought this.

I should add that there was a third game, the Inspector Gadget game which were the three games I first introduced to my oldest son. We used to play it on a mame emulator on my old PC when he was 4, and we would spend hours on these three games. A few years ago, he had asked me if we could get these games working on a few retro gaming consoles I acquired, and that worked until I began running into problems with games or the consoles that decided to stop working. The plan was to get these games setup so I wouldn't need a Phd in gaming to get it working on a TV screen, and the only ones that seem to cater to this are the ones which offer several hundred games in one console, which is really an overshoot for me since I only want it for those three games.

Edited by comicwiz