• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOE SINNOTT Retires After 69-Year Career
1 1

26 posts in this topic

https://www.newsarama.com/44344-joe-sinnott-retires-after-69-year-career.html

Long-time Marvel creator Joe Sinnott has formally retired after 69 years in the comic book industry. The news was announced on Facebook by his son, Mark Sinnott, coinciding with the inker's last Sunday Amazing Spider-Manstrip.

"My dad, Joltin' Joe wants to thank all the fans for their support of the Spidey strip through the years. Now at 92, and working for Marvel for 69 years, Joe can finally say that he is 'officially' retired! What a great run, dad," Mark Sinnott wrote on Facebook.

Sinnott had worked on the Amazing Spider-Man strip for 27 years, following his first 'retirement' from as a full-time contracted Marvel artist in 1992

"We need to thank the following creators for their work on the Spidey strip during Joe's incredible 27-year run on the strip: Stan Lee and Roy Thomas, who made this all possible. Letterers Stan Sakai and Janice Chiang, Pencilers Larry Lieber, Ron Frenz, Paul Ryan, Sal Buscema, Fred Kida, and for the past 22 years Alex Saviuk," Mark Sinnott wrote. "Also a huge thanks to the inkers that "filled in" for Joe from time to time: Jim Amash, Terry Austin, Bob Wiacek, Mark Sinnott, Belinda Sinnott, Tim Estiloz and Jim Tournas. Thanks for making Spidey look good all these years Dad."

Sinnott rose to fame as Jack Kirby's inker on Fantastic Four, and went on to be one of Marvel's longest-running artists.

The 92-year-old artist plans to continue making convention appearances, including May's Undiscovered Realm Comic Con 

46 minutes ago, Ares said:

The 92-year-old artist plans to continue making convention appearances, including May's Undiscovered Realm Comic Con 

Congratulations to Joe as this has been a long time coming. I'm also very glad he is still planning on doing conventions. It's always a joy to see him and talk to him, as he always has a smile on his face. If anyone has not met Joe at a convention, I highly recommend it, it is always an honor and pleasure!

:)

1 hour ago, Ares said:

Joe Sinnott has formally retired after 69 years in the comic book industry.  Now at 92, and working for Marvel for 69 years, Joe can finally say that he is 'officially' retired!

Quitter.

58 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Congrats to one of Marvel's most outstanding artists.  I know inkers don't get much love, but when your inks make freakin' *everyone* look as good as Joe's did, you're a great artist.

Inker is incredibly important.  Some argument could be made for more important than penciler.  Just compare Curt Swan inked by Murphy Anderson with Curt Swan inked by Vince Colletta.

Sinnott is widely recognised as one of the all-time great inkers.

Have a happy retirement.

17 minutes ago, kav said:

Inker is incredibly important.  Some argument could be made for more important than penciler.  Just compare Curt Swan inked by Murphy Anderson with Curt Swan inked by Vince Colletta.

Embellisher vs Eraser

My favourite for Swan is George Klein.

Edited by Ken Aldred

21 minutes ago, kav said:

The inker never has to face the blank page 2c

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

The inker never has to face the blank page 2c

True.  Keep in mind a bad inker can ruin a good penciler and a good inker can make a bad penciler look good tho.  I'd rather see a blank page than a colletta inked swan page.  In fact I threw out all my colletta inked swan books.

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Most inkers of note were more than capable pencillers as well.

Agreed, but it's not really the point. As an "inker", they never have to face the blank page, which is MUCH more difficult than even working on basic breakdowns.

Inking has to be a tedious and time consuming undertaking. Sometimes the artist just provided rough breakdowns/layouts that the inker had to turn into a finished product, so having your own artistic skill was a must and Joe proved time and time again he was an accomplished penciller/artist in his own right.

Congrats Joe and thanks for all the memories you helped bring to life with your talents.

Edited by Jaylam