• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If All Comics Were Equal...
3 3

83 posts in this topic

I've oftened fantasized about stumbling across an Action 1...so I could then sell it and buy a Tec 27.

Superman blows. Batman rulez.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Batman 1 > 'Tec 27 tho.

My  imagination is willing to allow for a nice enough copy of Action 1 that I can afford a mid grade copy of Tec 27 AND Bats 1.

5 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I've oftened fantasized about stumbling across an Action 1...so I could then sell it and buy a Tec 27.

Superman blows. Batman rulez.

I would do that then sell the Tec and buy up every copy of Youngblood #1-

14 minutes ago, kav said:

I would do that then sell the Tec and buy up every copy of Youngblood #1-

What would you do with the rest of the 5 mil?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I assume that the original question implies that, with Gates-type money and single book restriction, we’re expected to go for the biggest book possible. 

That’s a tough choice for me as that usually means Golden Age books. While I appreciate their significance, I usually don’t feel as much of a connection to them as I do with books from the 70’s and onwards. 

I guess if I had to pick one it would probably be Batman #1. 

Certainly not for the cover. When my brother and I had pull lists at the LCS back in the late 80’s the shop got in t-shirts that had old Batman covers. He snagged Detective #27 first, I had to settle for the Batman #1 shirt which I always thought was kind of bland. 

And while it’s significant, that’s not the primary reason either. Again, if I was just going for significance I’d probably pick ‘Tec #27. 

My first exposure to old comics was checking out the reprint books from the library which included Batman: From the 30’s to the 70’s. 

I remember the reprinted Batman #1 story made a distinct impression on me as a kid because the depiction of the Joker was so different from what I was used to seeing on TV. 

The Joker wasn’t smiling and laughing non-stop like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person; there were several panels of him sullen and brooding, even angry. Instead of bright green hair he had black hair with green highlights and voluptuous blood red lips with bags under his eyes. He looked more like a cadaver. Or a vampire. I found it kind of disturbing. 

So I would probably pick Batman #1 for that reason. But again, there’s other stories in that reprint book that speak to me more. Like Detective #395. But you don’t need Gates money to get that. 

Honestely, if I had that kind of money to blow on a collectible, I don’t think I would drop it on comics. A really well-preserved true first edition of Nineteen Eighty-Four instantly comes to mind. 

Not sure if this counts. I would absolutely set up a meet and greet with Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman and have them sign my favorite work by each (V for Vendetta 1 - Cgc SS 9.8 or higher would be my 1 comic to own - and Good Omens). The books aren't super expensive - I own both, unsigned - but bribing them to do a private meet and greet and signing would not be cheap. Really, I just want to babble with them.

My second choice would be a meet and greet with Greg Capullo and Corey Taylor so I can convince them to do a comic together (with a new accompanying Stone Sour album). Then that would be my one comic to own.

Sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled Supermans and Batmans.

8 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

On a kinda related note, does anyone happen to know the 1st cover which featured all 7 Justice League characters? Or know someone who may?
Is it Justice League of America #5?

If you count Superman and Batman on the chessboard, the JLA #1

4 minutes ago, Dr Zen said:

If you count Superman and Batman on the chessboard, the JLA #1

If youre a fan of that chessboard cover then you need to own this book with spike head's first appearance:

35-1.jpg

16 minutes ago, Bkd Reader said:

Not sure if this counts. I would absolutely set up a meet and greet with Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman and have them sign my favorite work by each (V for Vendetta 1 - Cgc SS 9.8 or higher would be my 1 comic to own - and Good Omens). The books aren't super expensive - I own both, unsigned - but bribing them to do a private meet and greet and signing would not be cheap. Really, I just want to babble with them.

My second choice would be a meet and greet with Greg Capullo and Corey Taylor so I can convince them to do a comic together (with a new accompanying Stone Sour album). Then that would be my one comic to own.

Sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled Supermans and Batmans.

Greg Capullo and Corey MF Taylor? I’d be all over that book! Wish he would do more comics. Maybe in 5-10 years when he’s done with music. 

2 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Greg Capullo and Corey MF Taylor? I’d be all over that book! Wish he would do more comics. Maybe in 5-10 years when he’s done with music. 

I spoke/babbled to Mr Capullo at a con last year and asked if he would ever do anything with Corey Taylor, he seemed keen on the idea. Just gotta get them in the same room.... And I don't think Taylor will retire from music, he will still be bouncing around on stage at 80.

36 minutes ago, Bkd Reader said:

I spoke/babbled to Mr Capullo at a con last year and asked if he would ever do anything with Corey Taylor, he seemed keen on the idea. Just gotta get them in the same room.... And I don't think Taylor will retire from music, he will still be bouncing around on stage at 80.

I wouldn’t doubt it actually. He’s a powerhouse performer. His son is talented too. I’m from Des Moines IA so I’ve met Corey and his son and a couple other band mates. Love how big of a comic nerd Corey is. 

Edited by punksdropdirtysrh

2 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I wouldn’t doubt it actually. He’s a powerhouse performer. His son is talented too. I’m from Des Moines IA so I’ve met Corey and his son and a couple other band mates. Love how big of a comic nerd Corey is. 

(worship) So very jealous, meeting him is a bucket list thing for me.

Sorry for temporarily derailing the thread :foryou: