• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If All Comics Were Equal...
3 3

83 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

CAPTAIN AMERICA #1.   

Action #1 would be great, but I have always been Captain America fan. 

Kill 2 birds with one stone-Captain Action #1!

1 minute ago, Mercury Man said:

And I would have a $1 million in change.  BRILLIANT! 

:flipbait:

3 hours ago, kav said:

Captain Action #1!

Oh that's a keeper and it has a really nice cover...No contest actually who wants a silly old comic from the thirties when you can have this beauty.:bigsmile:

59141cd8088aa046d4a66579fc0f1279.jpg

Edited by tv horror

I'll admit that my comic knowledge is basic, however can anyone tell me why DC keys are sold for lower prices, it just struck me that Marvel has the market cornered for keys. Even the movie related comics from DC don't make much of a splash (sorry Aqua man).:bigsmile: 

7 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I'll admit that my comic knowledge is basic, however can anyone tell me why DC keys are sold for lower prices, it just struck me that Marvel has the market cornered for keys. Even the movie related comics from DC don't make much of a splash (sorry Aqua man).:bigsmile: 

For one thing DC printed way more books than Marvel so Marvel keys are rarer.  For another, Marvel introduced way more characters that stuck around.  Dc often had one shot characters due to their tendency to do one shot stories vs Marvel's continuing storylines.  

Edited by kav

There are a lot of comic covers that I like, but the historical significance of Action #1 with Superman picking up a car still makes it the one that I would most want to own. I like to imagine what it would be like to see it for the first time in 1938 when no superhero like Superman had ever been seen before.  :whatthe:

I have to admit though, Captain America knocking out Hitler is pretty cool. :)  It's no wonder we won WWII, we had all those supers fighting on our side. ;) Does anyone know whether the Germans or Japanese had their own funny book heroes during the war?

Edited by CycleGirl

11 hours ago, CycleGirl said:

There are a lot of comic covers that I like, but the historical significance of Action #1 with Superman picking up a car still makes it the one that I would most want to own. I like to imagine what it would be like to see it for the first time in 1938 when no superhero like Superman had ever been seen before.  :whatthe:

I have a friend who was 7 when action #1 came out-he saw that book and he made such a fuss his mom finally bought it for him.  

3 hours ago, kav said:

I have a friend who was 7 when action #1 came out-he saw that book and he made such a fuss his mom finally bought it for him.  

And then what happened?  She threw it away when he turned 18 and went to college?  Or did she turn it into a useful item, such as wall/ceiling insulation?

4 minutes ago, zosocane said:

And then what happened?  She threw it away when he turned 18 and went to college?  Or did she turn it into a useful item, such as wall/ceiling insulation?

It just got worn out and thrown away eventually.  He was a big fan of Wings comics-he said the women would always take their shirt off when flying high because 'they got hot flying closer to the Sun' lol 

More Fun #52 or if I couldn’t find one a high grade Suspense #3. 

At one time (seems like a million years ago), I had many of the GA keys but sold them to buy my first house. Have long ago made peace with it but still to this day miss my More Fun #52...:sorry:

I’m sure a lot of collectors had one or two books that they have gotten rid of and always had regrets.  This is the one for me.  If I could have this one back.  I wish I never got rid of it.  My copy was about a 3.0 I believe.  I’d definitely take the highest graded copy.

C2FBCFB3-C123-4B28-BD0F-28F271C7D0CC.jpeg

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

More Fun #52 or if I couldn’t find one a high grade Suspense #3. 

At one time (seems like a million years ago), I had many of the GA keys but sold them to buy my first house. Have long ago made peace with it but still to this day miss my More Fun #52...:sorry:

You were blessed to have even had them to begin with. You were a good care-taker of those books, were honored to have been able to hold them a while before passing them on to the next care-taker. They belonged to history and to posterity. Good that you were able to spend some time with them, and you got a house out of too! :D

Startling Comics 49 - Mile High Copy

...at least I own /a/ copy. Just not /this/ copy! 

start.jpg

Edited by newshane