• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's 1982 and you have $100 to spend on back issues
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Just now, habsfan1 said:

I remember saving money from my paper route for weeks as a young kid to get my first expensive comic.  Chose a Conan 1..... yeah.... wise investment. :facepalm: Still have it.  The guy, who was the main comic dealer here at the time, would put the price in pencil on the top of the back cover.  Spend $48 at the time... I also remember that Dazzler 1 coming out around then... my first speculation... bought 5! :tonofbricks:

Early lessons of comic collecting...

I wanted the Conans but never bought em-too expensive.  Of course years later I was able to get em all on ebay except #1 for $5 a pop-the red sonja was $13.

Just now, kav said:

I wanted the Conans but never bought em-too expensive.  Of course years later I was able to get em all on ebay except #1 for $5 a pop-the red sonja was $13.

I ended up getting to whole run over time as well.  Just got the final issue about 2 months ago...some mid 160s issue.  Just picked up the tpb set of Dark Horse stories plus the whole set of Savage Sword tpbs.  Lots of reading ahead.

Looking back at that price guide, I remember seeing that exact guide back then and making lists of the comics I really wanted.  So then, yeah...I bought that Conan 1.... but had some winners from that list as well.  More luck though as I was filling in runs

2 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I ended up getting to whole run over time as well.  Just got the final issue about 2 months ago...some mid 160s issue.  Just picked up the tpb set of Dark Horse stories plus the whole set of Savage Sword tpbs.  Lots of reading ahead.

Looking back at that price guide, I remember seeing that exact guide back then and making lists of the comics I really wanted.  So then, yeah...I bought that Conan 1.... but had some winners from that list as well.  More luck though as I was filling in runs

Barry Smith was such a great artist back then.  Later, not so much.

16 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Is there still stupid money being thrown around for Spidey 101?  Don't think I saw anyone pick one, but $6 isn't terrible, considering what people are paying for beater copies these days.

That is one of the biggest return on investments in the list aside from ASM 194 and 129.  I love the anomalies, like how ASM 102 is higher than 101.  Also interesting is how X-Men 12 is highlighted as the origin of Professor X.  I'd definitely grab one of those at 12 bucks.  Funny how there is no Marvel Spotlight 32 or Tomb of Dracula 10 for me to grab.  Iron Fist 14 is missing too.

Edited by Von Cichlid

9 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

That is one of the biggest return on investments in the list aside from ASM 194 and 129.  I love the anomalies, like how ASM 102 is higher than 101.  Also interesting is how X-Men 12 is highlighted as the origin of Professor X.  I'd definitely grab one of those at 12 bucks.  Funny how there is no Marvel Spotlight 32 or Tomb of Dracula 10 for me to grab.  Iron Fist 14 is missing too.

IRon fist 14 was a nothing book then. Sabretooth was an obscure character who annoyed luke cage and iron fist occasionally. Spotlight 32 was a 60 cent book.

My turn... Includes the $15 discount advertised...  so I am spending $115

• ASM 101: $6
  • ASM 121: $20
  • ASM 122: $20
  • ASM 129: $2.50
  • ASM 134: $2.50
  • ASM 135: $2.50
  • ASM 136: $2.50
  • ASM 149: $1.75
  • ASM 151: $1.50
  • ASM 194: $1
  • Daredevil 168: $2.50
  • Hulk 180: $15
  • Hulk 181: $35
  • Iron Man 55: $4.50

$114.75 (He can keep the quarter to cry to his mama when he looks back in 37 years to realize what he gave away...of course there won't be any phone booths... but whatever)

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

IRon fist 14 was a nothing book then. Sabretooth was an obscure character who annoyed luke cage and iron fist occasionally. Spotlight 32 was a 60 cent book.

Oh I know.  Sabretooth never broke out until X-Men 212-213 and especially Wolverine 10 and then 41 and 42.  I was just remarking about what was missing.  I rememeber being 12 years old trying to get a Wolverine 42 at my LCS.  The owner pulled all new copies right out of the box and never even sold them for the $1.75 cover price.  He wanted $5.00 right off the bat.  

19 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Not a Conan run that’s for sure 

Usually people wish they could go back in time, buy books and bring em back to the future to sell.  With Conan, I would want to buy a bunch now, then go back in time and sell em.  It's like a negative collectible.

1 hour ago, Von Cichlid said:

Oh I know.  Sabretooth never broke out until X-Men 212-213 and especially Wolverine 10 and then 41 and 42.  I was just remarking about what was missing.  I rememeber being 12 years old trying to get a Wolverine 42 at my LCS.  The owner pulled all new copies right out of the box and never even sold them for the $1.75 cover price.  He wanted $5.00 right off the bat.  

That cover did it I think.

image.jpeg.c5eb28f8ab4565c24d8d077b379c442f.jpeg