• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painful Lesson
1 1

174 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I'm literally sick to my stomach. I went thru my inventory and discovered many cheap comics in bags that were labeled with comics for much more. They included 4 X-Men 94, vf or better. I'm finding more and more. In one day, I've lost thousands. 

Now I can't be sure how many people were doing it. I know it's my fault for being so cavalier with my comics, but ...

I've been collecting comics for over 40 years and I love comics. This is enough to give it all up.

Dont let it kill you.  Everyone makes bad mistakes.  Some cost money, some cost limbs, fingers or lives.  You can still at least try to confront him and demand books or money or threaten with witnesses, fingerprints and police.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:42 PM, jaeldubyoo said:

You're right. When it comes to selling, I've been incredibly naive. But this guy bought $thousands of books from me in the last 2 cons I sold at..

I'm sorry for you about the books, however this customer had this all planned before hand and could have even tried it once at the beginning, then he grew more greedy. If I were you I would stick to him like glue, if ever he shows your booth any interest or at least ask a friend or relative. :foryou:  Let him know he is now marked good luck.

29 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I'm literally sick to my stomach. I went thru my inventory and discovered many cheap comics in bags that were labeled with comics for much more. They included 4 X-Men 94, vf or better. I'm finding more and more. In one day, I've lost thousands. 

:whatthe:

Sorry to hear that. :frown:

38 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Now I can't be sure how many people were doing it. I know it's my fault for being so cavalier with my comics, but ...

I've been collecting comics for over 40 years and I love comics. This is enough to give it all up.

This is now beyond a simple matter don't delay.

a3534da382d6ce47ec6ab1d50efd9858_orig.jpg

41 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Don't give up comics jaeldubyoo! Comics are great. And most comic people are great. Don't let one scumbag ruin your life's pleasure. Instead, join me in praying to the Universe for a fly to take a szhit in this gentleman's next sandwich and for that szhit to infect his gut and leave him crapping through a straw in considerable pain for several days.  And for him to then get burgled. Home and arse.

36 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Well, now you know why he was such a loyal repeat customer.  He had probably started early on and just kept coming back as long as you didn't catch him.  At least now, you know it was intentional and what you should probably do.  I'm sorry you got duped but I think it's time to confront him over the phone/email/ or at the next con if you see him and explain that you know what he has been doing and that you will be outing him to the rest of the community online and at the shows and see if he would like to "make things right" and negotiate additional payments on those great prices he got or return some of those books. 

Honestly, I can't blame the person with all of it, although, I do believe he switched bags. There were probably others that took advantage of the situation, I provided the opportunity for dishonest people to cheat me. I shouldn't have left the more expensive stuff within reach of the thieves.

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Don't give up comics jaeldubyoo! Comics are great. And most comic people are great. Don't let one scumbag ruin your life's pleasure. Instead, join me in praying to the Universe for a fly to take a szhit in this gentleman's next sandwich and for that szhit to infect his gut and leave him crapping through a straw in considerable pain for several days.  And for him to then get burgled. Home and arse.

Awesome & Ditto.:applause:

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

Thanks. Sometimes, I just get tired of the scumbags always winning. 

I'm not a violent person, but I enjoy hurting thieves when I can.

This sucks but I have to ask, how was it possible? Were you not at your booth? Maybe you got so many customers someone could pull shenanigans but were you not watching or on your phone? Not that you are at fault, the thief is to blame but I just cannot see this happening without some inattention.

I haven't lost faith in humanity. I still think most people are honest. I just can't be so trusting.

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

This sucks but I have to ask, how was it possible? Were you not at your booth? Maybe you got so many customers someone could pull shenanigans but were you not watching or on your phone? Not that you are at fault, the thief is to blame but I just cannot see this happening without some inattention.

I was busy. There were a lot of customers at my booth. I had one helper who knew comics, a boardie. My wife and a friend helped and they know nothing about comics. My guess the two weren't familiar with comics and just collected the money, Of course, I wasn't as vigilant as I should have been.

1 minute ago, jaeldubyoo said:

I haven't lost faith in humanity. I still think most people are honest. I just can't be so trusting.

I was busy. There were a lot of customers at my booth. I had one helper who knew comics, a boardie. My wife and a friend helped and they know nothing about comics. My guess the two weren't familiar with comics and just collected the money, Of course, I wasn't as vigilant as I should have been.

I keep debating if you should confront him or try to catch him in the ACT next time. And try to get a documented on camera or something.

I'm gonna post a bit of tough love here-you dont want to get the police involved for someone who's stolen thousands and you seem to keep saying "it's my fault".  Both are mistakes IMO.  You might not have evidence for all his thefts but you have enough for police to question him and they're pretty good at getting people to crack.

With these new developments, I'd stop by the local police station and speak to the Desk Sgt. He may suggest you speak to a detective.

I don't see how a customer can switch that many bags in a booth with multiple people present. Any chance of inside collusion? Are you sure the bags were switched at the shows?

Edited by shadroch

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

With these new developments, I'd stop by the local police station and speak to the Desk Sgt. 

I don't see how a customer can switch that many bags in a booth with multiple people present. Any chance of inside collusion? Are you sure the bags were switched at the shows?

I agree it would be easier to just steal a book than remove book from bag, remove another book from bag, switch the books, tape em up-and do this for dozens of books and no one hears the Snnnnkt sound of pulling tape/stickers.