• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painful Lesson
1 1

174 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm gonna post a bit of tough love here-you dont want to get the police involved for someone who's stolen thousands and you seem to keep saying "it's my fault".  Both are mistakes IMO.  You might not have evidence for all his thefts but you have enough for police to question him and they're pretty good at getting people to crack.

This thread is a cautionary tale for others. A painful lesson learned.I'm not absolving the thieves. I just should have been more careful. The act of thievery is on them. I just wished I hadn't made it so easy for them.

Just now, jaeldubyoo said:

This thread is a cautionary tale for others. A painful lesson learned.I'm not absolving the thieves. I just should have been more careful. The act of thievery is on them. I just wished I hadn't made it so easy for them.

You can stop making it easy for them by merely reporting to police.

9 minutes ago, kav said:

I agree it would be easier to just steal a book than remove book from bag, remove another book from bag, switch the books, tape em up-and do this for dozens of books and no one hears the Snnnnkt sound of pulling tape/stickers.

There were literally crowds around my booth. What I should have done was not allow people to open the bags. Next time, I will not allow people to open the bags themselves. Also, there were cheaper books on the floor that were obscured by the boxes and tables, I didn't realize what was happening with the view being blocked. I found mylars with high prices and $5 books in them. I'm sure they weren't that way before the show. I found some bags literally torn because they couldn't get the tape off easily.

Edited by jaeldubyoo

Many places I go I attract attention of security. I don't know what it is. My wife makes fun of me. I look at nice watches and security starts following me around. I dunno. Never stole nothin'. Just look guilty is what my wife says. I'm not allowed to speak when we travel and go through boarder check points. Once I did on the Romania/Hungary boarder and dudes with machine guns came out. I was fumbling for the rental car papers or passports or whatever and suddenly it was straight up Midnight Express. My wife kinda chilled em out and they were cool. She's pretty cute, tho. 

Hell, everybody looks at me sideways at a comic con. Or maybe I just think they are. But sometimes I feel like vendors are checking me out hard. Sh*t I don't say nothen' to nobody. Regardless, it gets old. I even buy pricey books, too. That one guy was cool, tho. Forget his name. He's on here. I'll remember in a second. 

Anyways as everyone has said. Sorry. 

46 minutes ago, kav said:

I agree it would be easier to just steal a book than remove book from bag, remove another book from bag, switch the books, tape em up-and do this for dozens of books and no one hears the Snnnnkt sound of pulling tape/stickers.

what good is stealing 1 book and be one and done when you can appear like a very good repeat customer and be allowed to keep coming back to the well time and again.  I'm sorry jaeldubyoo but it sounds like you fell victim to multiple rookie dealer con mistakes and a lot of that has to do with how good and trusting of a person you are.  There's a thread on here dedicated to booth and con setup strategies.  I hope you take some time to read it and learn some more things you can do to be prepared for your next con.  I have never seen a dealer I didn't know very well already allow me to just simply open books to inspect without them first coming over and at least acknowledging which books they were, the prices, and what I would do with the tape.

Even for dealers who've known and done business with me for 10 years, know how extremely careful I am at handling their books, how experienced I am at safely unbagging and rebagging a comic (removing tape and all that), no matter how much money I spend with them, and how honest I am, unless granted permission in advance I ALWAYS give the dealer the courtesy of awareness and option to decline by asking if I can enter their booth or "see" and inspect book(s) outside of the bag.  Until I buy it, that is your property and you should always have to give permission for books to be seen and handled.  As far as I'm concerned, no one should be unbagging your books without your knowledge and attention.  Con attendees are guests at your booth and though you are there to sell them books and want to be welcoming and inviting, you need to set and establish the rules of engagement to protect your stock and ability to sell your stock.  Lots of good advice on these boards where to keep your expensive stock, your dollar books, separate your keys, how to secure your layout, how to deal with customers when you are being crowded.  Best of luck with your endeavors in recouping your loss or moving on.

That stinks man - sorry about that - it’s a terribly unfortunate tale and a reminder that there are scum bags in every hobby ...if you really have to offload these books, maybe you can sell them here ? I get shipping and packaging can be a hassle but I’m sure things would go smoother 

good luck 

It just keeps on getting worse.  I really crying inside. Two Iron Man 1. one fine and the other vf, two Marvel Premiere 15. Captain America 100  vf and one vg, I'm afraid to look any further.

I think some were stolen out right instead of switched out.  My comic stash has taken a big hit.

If you plan to sell at a con, you need to be more careful. Please don't learn the hard way like me.

26 minutes ago, jaeldubyoo said:

It just keeps on getting worse.  I really crying inside. Two Iron Man 1. one fine and the other vf, two Marvel Premiere 15. Captain America 100  vf and one vg, I'm afraid to look any further.

I think some were stolen out right instead of switched out.  My comic stash has taken a big hit.

If you plan to sell at a con, you need to be more careful. Please don't learn the hard way like me.

Will you pls contact the police and have a chance of getting your books back?  It is heartbreaking to watch.

1 hour ago, jaeldubyoo said:

There were literally crowds around my booth. What I should have done was not allow people to open the bags. Next time, I will not allow people to open the bags themselves. Also, there were cheaper books on the floor that were obscured by the boxes and tables, I didn't realize what was happening with the view being blocked. I found mylars with high prices and $5 books in them. I'm sure they weren't that way before the show. I found some bags literally torn because they couldn't get the tape off easily.

I look like a giant, scary Viking...and I love beating the tar out of criminals, especially thieves or people who hurt kids. I also know a lot about comics. Maybe you should pay me to stand at your booth the next con! lol 

2 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Next time ask the two non comic helpers to be false customers and watch the front it looks like you've been hit hard, do you know the details of this person? Also don't wait call the Police it can't hurt to report him if the other people are prepared to go as witnesses. 

download (1).jpg

Tough lessons to learn for sure. Sorry this has happened to you.

Couple things from reading this thread. In an early post, you said you found empty bags. Unless you are also finding loose comics that means there is more than price switching going on. Possibly multiple books going in to one bag. As others have said, price switching takes way more effort than just straight up pocketing books so I would assume that has happened too.

Second thing. Thieves (plural) are taking advantage of you. They usually work in groups. Don't just assume it's one guy. 

They will try again and become more bold. Best thing you can do going forward is catch them in the act and then use that leverage to try and recover your previously stolen goods. Most shoplifters are cowards at heart and wilt under pressure. 

Finally, don't count on law enforcement to be much help. To be perfectly frank, I don't think you actually know enough of what's happened or who is involved for them to give much of a damn. In my experience, unless you deliver them an arrest wrapped in a bow (ie video footage of a crime being committed + names and addresses of the crooks) they have a hard time getting motivated.

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Many places I go I attract attention of security. I don't know what it is. My wife makes fun of me. I look at nice watches and security starts following me around. I dunno. Never stole nothin'. Just look guilty is what my wife says. I'm not allowed to speak when we travel and go through boarder check points. Once I did on the Romania/Hungary boarder and dudes with machine guns came out. I was fumbling for the rental car papers or passports or whatever and suddenly it was straight up Midnight Express. My wife kinda chilled em out and they were cool. She's pretty cute, tho. 

Hell, everybody looks at me sideways at a comic con. Or maybe I just think they are. But sometimes I feel like vendors are checking me out hard. Sh*t I don't say nothen' to nobody. Regardless, it gets old. I even buy pricey books, too. That one guy was cool, tho. Forget his name. He's on here. I'll remember in a second. 

Perhaps it would help if you didn't dress like this? (shrug)

Burglar-in-traditional-co-008.jpg

16 minutes ago, slowdowntubby said:

Tough lessons to learn for sure. Sorry this has happened to you.

Couple things from reading this thread. In an early post, you said you found empty bags. Unless you are also finding loose comics that means there is more than price switching going on. Possibly multiple books going in to one bag. As others have said, price switching takes way more effort than just straight up pocketing books so I would assume that has happened too.

Second thing. Thieves (plural) are taking advantage of you. They usually work in groups. Don't just assume it's one guy. 

They will try again and become more bold. Best thing you can do going forward is catch them in the act and then use that leverage to try and recover your previously stolen goods. Most shoplifters are cowards at heart and wilt under pressure. 

Finally, don't count on law enforcement to be much help. To be perfectly frank, I don't think you actually know enough of what's happened or who is involved for them to give much of a damn. In my experience, unless you deliver them an arrest wrapped in a bow (ie video footage of a crime being committed + names and addresses of the crooks) they have a hard time getting motivated.

If he can get em on video and/or witnesses and use that as leverage to get his other books back that might work.  "Look I have you red handed here-bring my other books back or I press charges".  Make sure to get detailed video of the books attempted stolen as high value means more serious charges.   Demand to see/copy ID or they dont get to leave.  When you see it going down maybe have helper go get security while you film.

Edited by kav

It's important to have one person whose only job is to be a set of eyes. 

Sad but true. It's just the world in which we live. That's why everyone has to prepay for gas now. It's why also why airport security gets to look at an x-ray image of my junk every time I pass through the gates. I could go on and on, of course. 

I'm really sad for you OP, but it's time to involve the police. Hopefully it's not too late. Protocol should always be immediate contact with law enforcement. 

You aren't "ruining someone's reputation." 

You are protecting OTHER good people from getting hurt like you were hurt.

Think about it. 

It's no one's fault but the thieves...unless your inaction opens the door for him to hit others. 

Keep doing your thing, but get a sentinel for your books (see what I did there?) or install a security cam in your booth. 

And allowing customers to open bags is always a big no-no. I always ask if I can open a bag, because most dealers prefer to handle their own stock until the wallet opens. 

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

You aren't "ruining someone's reputation." 

You are protecting OTHER good people from getting hurt like you were hurt.

Think about it. 

It's no one's fault but the thieves...unless your inaction opens the door for him to hit others. 

Keep doing your thing, but get a sentinel for your books (see what I did there?) or install a security cam in your booth. 

And allowing customers to open bags is always a big no-no. I always ask if I can open a bag, because most dealers prefer to handle their own stock until the wallet opens. 

Yes maybe what happened was another dealer caught him stealing but did nothing and then he moseyed on over to your table-

18 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Were these and other books in long boxes as part of the run/along with "commons"?  How did you have your booth set up? Do you have a pic of your booth set up? Might help people flag some things for you in the future. I know I received some good set up advice.

20 hours ago, NoMan said:

And when security asks you if you stole anything you say NoMan......:whee: