• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painful Lesson
1 1

174 posts in this topic

I’m wondering if more than one thief was working his table. Word could have spread. Or there could just be a ton of thieves at every con. I already suspect a sophisticated ring of thieves traveling to all the big ones 

8 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I’m wondering if more than one thief was working his table. Word could have spread. Or there could just be a ton of thieves at every con. I already suspect a sophisticated ring of thieves traveling to all the big ones 

Thieves are easy to spot I've said it again and again-they keep looking over at the vendor to see if he's watching.  Real customers are absorbed in the books and dont even glance at the vendors.

8 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I’m talking about guys not just stealing comics but portfolios right off an artists desk or robbing their car for unpublished pages, in addition to high grade keys. I think they work in teams and travel

The thing about thieves is they troll around a bit looking back and forth sorta like sharks before they strike.  It's a noticeable behavior pattern.  I watch a lot of shoplifter and street theft videos.  It's always the same.

9 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I’m talking about guys not just stealing comics but portfolios right off an artists desk or robbing their car for unpublished pages, in addition to high grade keys. I think they work in teams and travel

Back in the day (statute of limitations has passed on my crimes), as a juvenile, this is how I ran my crew. We didn't steal comics, though.

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Back in the day (statute of limitations has passed on my crimes), as a juvenile, this is how I ran my crew. We didn't steal comics, though.

So that's where my car's gone meh

Just now, TwoPiece said:

We only committed Grand Theft Auto within the same-named video game...

Love that game:luhv: I love the fact that you steal, murder and be the closet psychopath that hides in us all...with relative impunity.

Seriously tho' I'm glad you are no longer a tea leaf, I was just funnin with you. I don't even own a car. I reduced my carbon footprint a long time ago.

when i was a young teen we stole comics from our local LCS...

the LCS is still there but they don't carry comics anymore , just books and mags ..

about ten years ago i went back and repaid the owner for the fair amount value of what i had stolen 35 years before

he was very pleased and he told me that others have done the same thing over the years

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

when i was a young teen we stole comics from our local LCS...

the LCS is still there but they don't carry comics anymore , just books and mags ..

about ten years ago i went back and repaid the owner for the fair amount value of what i had stolen 35 years before

he was very pleased and he told me that others have done the same thing over the years

You deserve an award

It does count, as an example to others.  Someone else reading that may think wow-I stole from LCS when I was a teen I should go and pay them back.  What doesn't count is saying you are a 'published comic historian', when you're not.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

It does count, as an example to others.  Someone else reading that may think wow-I stole from LCS when I was a teen I should go and pay them back.  What doesn't count is saying you are a 'published comic historian', when you're not.

Go away, kav. Your endless provocation is unwelcome.

Eh, before I call it "nice" I'd need to know a) exactly how much time has passed before his conscience could no longer be ignored and b) how much research went into that "fair market value" analysis.  What about interest?

If it'd been an IH 181 or some other hot key would the ol' feel bad bug have bitten so hard? 

Edited by Mystafo