• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping Cost Killing the experience
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hey all, 

I have been a member of CGC for almost a year now and finally built up the courage to submit a book. I wanted to do a trial by sending my copy of Batman #181 by itself just so i can get used to the process before i start sending books in bulk. 

Everything was ready to go, my credit card details entered but then the total appeared. $80 US for shipping of one book. Now I am aware that I am in Australia, but I have bought bulk comic books from HA and not been charged this much. 

Is there a reason it's so high for 1 comic? I only had the one postage option as well. 

Is it possible to get it sent to a friend in the US then have them send it to me? 

Thanks for your time. 

I don't know if its cheaper or not, but there's certainly no one stopping you from CGC sending the books to a US address, then having that person mail to you.  if you have a friend you trust, just figure out the math and make the best financial decision for yourself.  CGC will mail to whatever address you put down.  If you have questions about it, you can probably contact CGC directly to be sure.

Also, I think CGC has a London office (maybe?).  You can check on those shipping costs and see if that works better for you.

I hear you I am in Canada and the shipping costs are just as high. Maybe CGC can look at getting those costs down for international customers

9 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I hear you I am in Canada and the shipping costs are just as high. Maybe CGC can look at getting those costs down for international customers

Do you have any suggestions on how they would go about doing that? 

If you have your own account with fedex or UPS you can let CGC know and they'll happily charge your account, then you don't have to use CGC rates. 

Never send in 1 book and try to make sure they are the same tier , that's my advice, I send bulk to CGC, only problem I've encountered is I sent moderns along with ASM 129 and since that was graded quicker and was a different tier, it cost me $80 to ship back 1 book while the others came back 3 weeks later and cost another $80.

Fedex is great for international shipping, always feel safe when dealing with them through CGC, my advice is stick with them, they are spot on with delivery times.

You could send to a US friend, but with all the mucking around, is it worth it?

I did compare it to sending 6 books and for 6 books it was $180 which is must better. Ill have to save for a little longer and just trust the system and get 6 to 10 books done at once. It's tempting to not just go local and do Halo Grades instead. However a 6.0 ASM 129 Halo compared to a 6.0 ASM 129 CGC is no competition. CGC all the way. 

18 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Never send in 1 book and try to make sure they are the same tier , that's my advice, I send bulk to CGC, only problem I've encountered is I sent moderns along with ASM 129 and since that was graded quicker and was a different tier, it cost me $80 to ship back 1 book while the others came back 3 weeks later and cost another $80.

Fedex is great for international shipping, always feel safe when dealing with them through CGC, my advice is stick with them, they are spot on with delivery times.

You could send to a US friend, but with all the mucking around, is it worth it?

I have had the CGC guys write on my invoices to ship both invoices together as long as I was ok with the extra wait so that way I wouldn't have to pay additional shipping charges. 

Please remember this one important tidbit. Fed Ex limits/permits the maximum declared value of up to only $1K for collectibles. If you are shipping high dollar slabs especially via international route you really need 3rd party collectibles insurance coverage.

As far as I know the only shipping entity that will insure up to $50K on a package is USPS registered mail.  For USPS Priority or Priority Express the max insurable coverage is $5K.

so what is the best way to ship high value collectables? 

Also are the comics insured by CGC when they ship it back say I have multiple 1000$ comics shipping and they get lost in shipping will CGC pay for the lost comics? 

4 hours ago, BAT MAN said:

Please remember this one important tidbit. Fed Ex limits/permits the maximum declared value of up to only $1K for collectibles. If you are shipping high dollar slabs especially via international route you really need 3rd party collectibles insurance coverage.

As far as I know the only shipping entity that will insure up to $50K on a package is USPS registered mail.  For USPS Priority or Priority Express the max insurable coverage is $5K.

21 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

so what is the best way to ship high value collectables? 

Also are the comics insured by CGC when they ship it back say I have multiple 1000$ comics shipping and they get lost in shipping will CGC pay for the lost comics? 

5 hours ago, BAT MAN said:

Best is debatable in terms, and depends on many things, including how much you want to spend.  You could use bonded couriers to hand deliver items, but that might be costly.

CGC has insurance options for return shipping, but there are different limits available for different services, which might also depend on where you are shipping to.  You can start with the CGC website and then contact CGC yourself to get specific answers about your situation and so you can have 'official' answers, rather than non-specific subjective answers from random internet strangers that may or may not be right that may or may not apply to your experience. 

Also, some people have separate collectibles insurance.  For some people that is a better choice, for others not.  It depends on each situation.

On 22 March 2019 at 2:45 AM, Krishosein said:

I have had the CGC guys write on my invoices to ship both invoices together as long as I was ok with the extra wait so that way I wouldn't have to pay additional shipping charges. 

I asked them that same question 3 times via emails and phone calls and they said they don't do that anymore.

Oh well

On 21 March 2019 at 12:18 PM, GroundRex said:

I did compare it to sending 6 books and for 6 books it was $180 which is must better. Ill have to save for a little longer and just trust the system and get 6 to 10 books done at once. It's tempting to not just go local and do Halo Grades instead. However a 6.0 ASM 129 Halo compared to a 6.0 ASM 129 CGC is no competition. CGC all the way. 

I wouldn't be using halo, I'd rather ship my books half way around the world instead of 10hours up a highway to Qld.

As you said "trust the system", it will be worth it mate(thumbsu