• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

audio recorded panels and more from Toronto Comicon 2019

1 post in this topic

Hi All

I went to Toronto Comicon and recorded 5 panels and took 24 pictures.

Panels were:
Steve Englehart Spotlight (51:27, 47.1mb) Steve Englehart is interviewed by Mark Askwith. He asks him about working on The Prisoner comic, starting off as an assistant under Neal Adams, working at Marvel, how he became a writer, why he left comics and what work outside of comics he did, writing Dr. Strange as a solo hero vs part of the Defenders, working with Frank Brunner and Gene Colan, the Master of Kung Fu, Starlord, Captain America, Silver Surfer, his work at DC for both Batman comics and the 1989 movie, working with Jim Warren and Steve Ditko.

Meet the Pros (46:46, 42.8mb)
Moderated by Brent Chittenden, the pros we meet are Phil Noto, Sean Galloway and Derek Laufman. They spoke about how they got started in comics, the culture shock of going from another industry to comics, how they all draw from the hardware they use to the software, designing characters and toys, their work schedules, the best advice they got, work they did that stands out, the benefits of a deadline and toughest deadline they had.

Denny O’Neil Spotlight (49:59, 45.7mb)
Denny O'Neil talked about a wide range of topics, including how we went from journalism to comics, Harlan Ellison, Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Neal Adams, his near death experience, his views on violence, doing detective stories, mentoring Frank Miller, his rules for Batman, No Man's Land storyline, Azreal, The Question, his son's movie, how corporations affect the stories, the biography of Bruce Wayne. The panel was moderated by Mark Askwith.

Ron Wilson Spotlight (45:36, 41.7mb)
Brent Chittenden interviews Ron Wilson about how he got started, his love of Kirby, the difference between Marvel and DC when he was breaking in, Marvel Two in One, Captain Britain, character he would have loved to work on, He-Man, WCW comics and getting to know wrestlers, how he handled friction with his collaborators, who he liked collaborating with, Milestone Media, his tools for drawing, doing Kickboxer Genesis book through Kickstarter, Creative Freedom and more.

The Rhythm Section of Comics: Ink and Colour (45:49, 41.9mb)
On the panel was Craig Yeung, Jay Leisten, Nolan Woodard, Dave McCaig, John Beatty and moderator Brent Chittenden. The group talked about what lead them to colouring or inking, what tools they use for their jobs and how that's changed over the years, keeping computer software and hardware updated, recommendations for scanners and printers, what they hate inking/colouring, the work process and notes from other creators, resolving creative conflicts, their tightest deadline and changing trends.

I also have a couple of videos from the convention floor of cosplayers. I've included them with my write up about the convention on my blog