• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will they even grade this one? JLA 69
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Ok first off I know this is one of those why would you grade that , however I am using this as more of a learning curve on harder to grade and oddball books. I do know that cgc in the past would not grade any books where the cover overhangs internal pages as the Foreign Museum Editions .  So I pose this question to the all knowing comic board. Aside from issues that could be cleaned and pressed out what would this grade or would they just refuse? Also yes it is ironic the back cover says brain transplant, $39.99 as I am sure many who will read this will think I have lost my mind..

IMG_20190319_234824268.jpg

IMG_20190319_234805987.jpg

IMG_20190319_234801600.jpg

IMG_20190319_234648772.jpg

IMG_20190319_234657848.jpg

IMG_20190319_234742366.jpg

IMG_20190319_234748861.jpg

IMG_20190319_234713075.jpg

IMG_20190319_234722577.jpg

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Add issue to title.

3 minutes ago, Stingrayiii said:

How much bigger is it to a normal comic? 1 in? or even more?

Either way I love stuff like this.

Thank you for the communication. I too love some of these oddballs. I have a lot of miscut, print error and double covers. Ok I should have thought of that. Here are some more pictures of the issues. Besides from offset interal at to pages due to the offset are also still uncut and most are still attached so they will not open up at the top

IMG_20190320_002052596.jpg

IMG_20190320_002113820.jpg

3 minutes ago, Stingrayiii said:

Very cool, I do believe they would grade them, but they wouldn't put them in slabs. I personally thought is these should be worth more then a normal book, just because they are harder to find. But to each their own.

That is one of the reasons I sought out some of these.( Still find one every so often.) I too think they are cool and would agree they are harder to find as if their quality control found them, they were destroyed. I had a feeling they would not slab it,  which was something I was considering . Due to there are not going to be many of these errors out in circulation, but due to the almost 1/4" overhang at the top of cover over interior pages and them still being bound together at the top.( Can not really open the interior) I figured they would not slab it.

I have a few that are printed with a strip or two of ink missing from the cover, that could be graded. And I always wondered what they would grade and label it as. I might just send them in to see. Maybe someone with more knowledge would have a better idea for you. Either way thanks for posting. Love it.

Edited by Stingrayiii

6 minutes ago, Stingrayiii said:

I have a few that are printed with a strip or two of ink missing from the cover, that could be graded. And I always wondered what they would grade and label it as. I might just send them in to see. Maybe someone with more knowledge would have a better idea for you. Either way thanks for posting. Love it.

Thank you I appreciate the communication and  feedback!

I've gotten books come back rejected from grading because there was too big of an overhang and it would be damaged if slabbed. That definitely qualifies as too much overhang and I don't think they will slab it. If they aren't slabbing it, they will not grade it. You can't have one without the other.

2 hours ago, LordRahl said:

I've gotten books come back rejected from grading because there was too big of an overhang and it would be damaged if slabbed. That definitely qualifies as too much overhang and I don't think they will slab it. If they aren't slabbing it, they will not grade it. You can't have one without the other.

I appreciate the information. I had the same issue with the museum edition of too much over hang , however this one was less and with the attached internal pages I was not sure. Thank you.

31 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I really think that overhang is too severe to risk slabbing it. To me, this would fall into the category of a "manufacturing error." Ya gotta love it...  :luhv:  

Thank you . Definitely a manufacturer error which is what I do love about this one. Can still see the DC info at the bottom of front cover. Can't believe this one made it out. I appreciate your feedback.

1 minute ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yeah, they grade these.  I've had similar books graded. 

So they would grade this even with overhang and interior pages completely attached at the top of book? Meaning you really can not open the book all the way to look at interior spine.

5 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

would it fit in a magazine slab?

also-- would you really want to slab it? It seems like a book you would want people to be able to check out

I really am not looking to slab this error issue as I know it would be dinged on a lot of issues that in truth are all from the manufacturing errors and as you said I too would want to see all the issues that made it past QC. I was using this book as an example to help better refine my understanding of what CGC dings on grading and what errors they will and will not grade. I pulled this specific book from my collection of errors as it has the most errors that still present as not quite bad enough that to me was borderline whether CGC would grade or not.  Issues being the cover overhang interior at to by about 1/4" , cover offset , interior pages miscut, interior pages still attached at top( due to miscut). I have a bunch of other error books that I know will grade. I.e. double covers. Multiple interiors under one cover . Double pages. Miscuts. Misprint. Etc. I was using a worst case to see what the board thought specific issues would have effect on overall grade and which issues would have CGC call too severe to grade. Thank you for your communication.